Author Topic: Draymond Green  (Read 1727 times)

Draymond Green
« on: July 03, 2019, 01:53:22 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Washed up. Inefficient. Looking more irritable.

Still, I'm wondering about his availability and fit with this Cs team. Low usage. Better passer than Al. Elite defender.

Is he available? In some ways, this year could be a throw-away year for the Warriors. It could be a year to stock assets, get people healthy (and keep Curry healthy with a smaller workload), get a decent draft pick, and rebuild for a few more runs around the splash brothers starting in 2020-2021 when Klay is healthy. Green is due for a new contract next year, which means this is a contract year. If he were willing to sign a 4 year, 100 million dollar extension with the Cs that starts next year, would you trade for him?

I think I would. I think I would trade Smart, Yabu, and one middle-tier asset for him (Williams, Langford, or future first). That would be comparable to what the Pacers got for George, and a little less than what the Spurs got for Leonard in the last years of their contract.

The Warriors can rest Curry a lot and run with Smart and Russell as their main guys. They get a decent draft pick, and then flip Russell and a couple of assets into a big man that fits with Curry and Thompson moving forward. Smart can play off-ball in an Iggy-type role for them, taking the best guard/wing offensive player to give Thompson and Curry rest.

Makes a bit of sense to me. The Cs then have Green-Tatum-Brown-Hayward-Walker with a good group off the bench.

Re: Draymond Green
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 01:55:13 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
He's fools gold

Put him on a team that didn't have 3-4  future hall of famers and see what happens

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 01:57:02 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Washed up. Inefficient. Looking more irritable.

Still, I'm wondering about his availability and fit with this Cs team. Low usage. Better passer than Al. Elite defender.

Is he available? In some ways, this year could be a throw-away year for the Warriors. It could be a year to stock assets, get people healthy (and keep Curry healthy with a smaller workload), get a decent draft pick, and rebuild for a few more runs around the splash brothers starting in 2020-2021 when Klay is healthy. Green is due for a new contract next year, which means this is a contract year. If he were willing to sign a 4 year, 100 million dollar extension with the Cs that starts next year, would you trade for him?

I think I would. I think I would trade Smart, Yabu, and one middle-tier asset for him (Williams, Langford, or future first). That would be comparable to what the Pacers got for George, and a little less than what the Spurs got for Leonard in the last years of their contract.

The Warriors can rest Curry a lot and run with Smart and Russell as their main guys. They get a decent draft pick, and then flip Russell and a couple of assets into a big man that fits with Curry and Thompson moving forward. Smart can play off-ball in an Iggy-type role for them, taking the best guard/wing offensive player to give Thompson and Curry rest.

Makes a bit of sense to me. The Cs then have Green-Tatum-Brown-Hayward-Walker with a good group off the bench.
Green would be very good on the Celtics but it's going ot take a lot more than Smart and odds and ends to get him.

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 01:59:21 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I’ve always been interested in Draymond, and have thought about him too this offseason.  One thing I’d note, if he were to agree to an extend-and-trade deal, as I think you describe, it could only be for two years beyond this one, at $45.6 million total.  I think he would hope for more/longer in free agency, and thus not agree to that.  Accordingly, I wouldn’t trade three years of Smart for him.

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 01:59:23 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Pass. He’s not worth his ego at this point. He’s definitely a good defender but if he was on the Kings instead of boogie all those years, we’d be talking about how much of a locker room disruptor and malcontent he was.
- LilRip

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 01:59:40 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Similar to Marcus Smart. He's a huge piece to a team, but you cannot spend max dollars on him. Interesting to see what GSW does.

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 02:00:29 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
If Warriors are in rebuild mode, you may be surprised what it would take.

Green would fit perfectly in our system with the JJGK.

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 02:06:59 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
He's fools gold

Put him on a team that didn't have 3-4  future hall of famers and see what happens

That's a bit of an overreaction lol.  I'm not a big fan of his antics, but let's not pretend that Green isn't an excellent basketball player on both ends of the court.  He sacrificed individual accolades to make things work after the Durant signing. 

Super high IQ, great facilitator, can defend 1-5, and is a better offensive player than given credit for.  It's certainly fair to criticize his decline in shooting efficiency over the past few seasons.  His shooting improved each season until they got Durant.  After that I think he stopped working on his jumpshot. 

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 02:18:27 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
He's fools gold

That's a bit of an overreaction lol.  I'm not a big fan of his antics, but let's not pretend that Green isn't an excellent basketball player on both ends of the court.  He sacrificed individual accolades to make things work after the Durant signing. 

Super high IQ, great facilitator, can defend 1-5, and is a better offensive player than given credit for.  It's certainly fair to criticize his decline in shooting efficiency over the past few seasons.  His shooting improved each season until they got Durant.  After that I think he stopped working on his jumpshot.
I'm not saying he isnt talented, but I'm scared to see what happens on a team with lesser talent around him..

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 02:18:34 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
If Hayward rebuilds his value, I'd try to trade Hayward for Draymond at the trade deadline if Draymond agrees to sign a new deal in the summer.

Keep Jaylen and Tatum as starting wings. Get rid of overabundance of SFs. Land a true PF. Address team defense and improve rebounding. Still have that extra ball-handler and playmaker that Hayward provided.

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 02:20:17 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538
Can't see him being available anytime soon.  He's the glue of that team, antics and all. As much as I can't stand his act, he'd be great here.

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 02:29:03 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Isn't he a Klutch client? If so no way he would ever resign here.

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2019, 07:18:19 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
He's fools gold

I'm not saying he isnt talented, but I'm scared to see what happens on a team with lesser talent around him..

Everyone knows that he doesn't have the scoring capability to carry a team.  That said, he likely adds a fair amount of wins to any team with an All-Star caliber scorer.  I'll use the Charlotte Hornets as an example.  Put Draymond on that team and they likely win enough games to secure a 6th seed.  A 5th seed might be a stretch, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect an extra 6-8 wins.

The 76ers would be an excellent playoff example.  Swap out Simmons or Harris for Green and they likely win the title last season.  Green impacts winning at a very high level.   

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2019, 08:39:36 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I’ve always been interested in Draymond, and have thought about him too this offseason.  One thing I’d note, if he were to agree to an extend-and-trade deal, as I think you describe, it could only be for two years beyond this one, at $45.6 million total.  I think he would hope for more/longer in free agency, and thus not agree to that.  Accordingly, I wouldn’t trade three years of Smart for him.

Ah. I see. I agree he probably wouldn't accept that extension. Unless he gave a commitment to signing after his deal (something that means less and less with the player movement era), I wouldn't commit Smart either.

By my math, we could get close with Kanter, Theis, Yabu, and Langford. I'd be more willing to do that, but the Warriors wouldn't, unless they knew he was leaving.

With the surge of sign-and-trades, the best bet would to wait till next off-season and perform a sign-and-trade with him, if we could match salaries.