Author Topic: Keep Al, Sign Kemba idea that works within cap rules  (Read 24319 times)

Re: Keep Al, Sign Kemba idea that works within cap rules
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2019, 03:59:21 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Al at 4 more years..no

I would do it with Kemba here.

I agree.  It is just money, and contracts can always be traded in the future.  It immediately creates a 3-year title window with Kemba/Brown/Tatum/Hayward/Smart...if Horford is somehow re-signed.

Horford will be a productive player for the next 3-4 years, giving most of what he does now. 

I still do not think this will ultimately work out but I am glad to be a fan of this franchise that will do all sorts of crazy stuff to try and put the best team on the floor each year.

« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2019, 04:02:18 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
I love this idea and Inthink it is Kevin’s O’Conner that recentlybsaid on Twitter that Horford’s mystery team may be the Celtics.

Question: the Nets will not want to help us, sonwhat draft picks will they command?  It’s a chance for them to get back at us a little for The Trade.
the nets may see it as a form of pay-back. the celtics handing over one or more draft picks and they get a player they would have gotten anyway.

who knows?

Yeah, wish Wyc had shut up about how he was able to get Danny to squeeze more picks from them. Payback’s a female dog.

So if we don't fork up a pick to them, we don't get Kemba Walker??? That's ridiculous, tell Brooklyn to eat crap

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2019, 04:03:21 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
I love this idea and Inthink it is Kevin’s O’Conner that recentlybsaid on Twitter that Horford’s mystery team may be the Celtics.

Question: the Nets will not want to help us, sonwhat draft picks will they command?  It’s a chance for them to get back at us a little for The Trade.
the nets may see it as a form of pay-back. the celtics handing over one or more draft picks and they get a player they would have gotten anyway.

who knows?

Let's not also forget that Charlotte has a stake in this, too, as the only way they can get Rozier is via a S&T with Boston, which we will only do if we can make the trade with TPEs for Kemba (as we can't S&T Rozier and get Kemba on a max without help from a third team).

They could throw in something like Cleveland's 2020 second round pick as compensation in conjunction with a late first round pick from us. This could provide enough incentive for Brooklyn to pull the trigger.

« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2019, 04:04:30 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

who knows?

Yeah, wish Wyc had shut up about how he was able to get Danny to squeeze more picks from them. Payback’s a female dog.

So if we don't fork up a pick to them, we don't get Kemba Walker??? That's ridiculous, tell Brooklyn to eat crap

No, Kemba is already locked up, as we can get him through cap space by just renouncing everyone.

This is just about whether we can get a bigger MLE exception and/or be able to retain Horford/Morris' rights to further fill out our roster.

« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2019, 04:07:28 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Durant announces right away, Brooklyn will announce a Kyrie 'commitment' at 6:00 but that keeps all this still on the table.  Brooklyn plays ball if the Memphis pick is sent them, I would imagine.

« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2019, 04:08:52 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
Durant announces right away, Brooklyn will announce a Kyrie 'commitment' at 6:00 but that keeps all this still on the table.  Brooklyn plays ball if the Memphis pick is sent them, I would imagine.

The Memphis pick is a major overpay for this type of move. It'd be the Bucks pick or our own. That's way too much to ask for something like this, and it's not worth doing it if they will only do the Memphis pick.

« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2019, 04:10:36 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald

The Memphis pick is a major overpay for this type of move. It'd be the Bucks pick or our own. That's way too much to ask for something like this, and it's not worth doing it if they will only do the Memphis pick.
Except that they hold the cards - in terms of the Horford part - if that's in fact what's going on.

« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2019, 04:10:58 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Correct...Brooklyn is getting Kyrie either way, take a late 1st rounder as icing.  If you balk there could be another team that gets the deal and the pick.

« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2019, 04:11:47 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The better of the Celtics/Bucks pick from the Celtics.

Plus what the Hornets can give since this allows them to get Rozier.

« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2019, 04:12:03 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Except that they hold the cards - in terms of the Horford part.

Right. Is the Milwaukee pick (with existing protections) worth Al and the MLE?

I think so.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2019, 04:12:25 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
So how soon after 6PM do you expect we’ll have a sense for whether this elaborate Horford scenario has legs or was just idle speculation?

« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2019, 04:14:11 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald

Except that they hold the cards - in terms of the Horford part.

Right. Is the Milwaukee pick (with existing protections) worth Al and the MLE?

I think so.
If this is close - the current squad with Al back puts you back in the mix as a contender right away so you push the necessary chips in.

« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2019, 04:14:33 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
So how soon after 6PM do you expect we’ll have a sense for whether this elaborate Horford scenario has legs or was just idle speculation?

That’s really hard to say. I read somewhere that Al might wait until tomorrow or Tuesday to decide.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2019, 04:15:36 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Do we even still want Al at close to $30M/yr over the next four years? I mean, I absolutely love Al, but we have young players like Jaylen and Tatum coming up in the next two offseasons. I think I may prefer to do a s&t with Al (unlikely, I know) and acquire Steven Adams or even Capela with our acquired TPE...while still remaining above the cap, so we keep the TPE and BAE.

« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2019, 04:16:41 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
The Woj rumor scenario is exactly what I have been trying to describe.  By playing nice and getting a pick or something, the Nets allow us to essentially trade Irving for Walker instead of signing Walker with cap space.  In order to sign Walker for cap space, we would have had to renounce Horford, Morris, and Rozier in order to create the needed cap space.  These guys would be gone with no option for us to get anything for them.

With this trade, we keep our "hold" on all all these players.  With the holds in place, we can sign the players, sign and trade the players (as we would be doing with Rozier as part of the base trade), or just let them walk.

In terms of Al Horford, I would not be surprised if this was about trading him to Houston but we now retain the option to sign him and keep him if we want.  Same for Morris and other lesser players.  But this all starts with Brooklyn being willing to do the sign and trade and help out Boston and Charlotte.  We will likely give them a pick and Charlotte may give them something too (they benefit by getting a trade exception and Rozier for Walker instead of nothing if this doesn't work out with Brooklyn).