Poll

Do you think Kahwi Leonard comes to Boston?

Yes
14 (15.9%)
No
74 (84.1%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Voting closed: June 29, 2018, 11:30:27 PM

Author Topic: Kawhi Leonard (Merged Threads)  (Read 120114 times)

Re: Chris Sheridan: 0% chance Spurs send Kawhi West
« Reply #315 on: June 18, 2018, 03:47:36 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Chris Sheridan (the same Chris Sheridan that reported first about LeBron returning to the Cavs) says according to his sources 'There is a 0 percent chance the Spurs trade Kawhi Leonard to a Western Conference team'. As Sheridan also puts it, Popovich would “gladly take 75 cents on the dollar for Kawhi if he could send him out of the West.”

IF this is truely the case and IF Kawhi passes a medical, Danny needs to trade for Leonard almost simply to stop 76ers from getting him.

https://www.getmoresports.com/sheridan-next-destination-kawhi-leonard-handicapping-field/
Dang. If we could get him for cheap (i.e. pupu platter of our role players and bench guys) Danny has to do that
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #316 on: June 18, 2018, 04:07:38 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Yeah my opening offer would be Rozier, Morris, Smart (if he likes the spurs), filler, and all of the picks. If we can get Kawhi without parting with a major asset, it’s worth the risk of losing him.

« Reply #317 on: June 18, 2018, 04:43:41 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Yeah my opening offer would be Rozier, Morris, Smart (if he likes the spurs), filler, and all of the picks. If we can get Kawhi without parting with a major asset, it’s worth the risk of losing him.

I think the best gauge for a trade is Carmelo from the Nuggets to the Knicks. He was also 27 when he was traded to the Knicks on the last year of his deal and Denver got Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Timofey Mozgov, the Knicks 2014 first-round draft pick, the Warriors’ 2012 second-round pick, the Warriors’ 2013 second-round pick and $3 million in cash.

« Reply #318 on: June 18, 2018, 05:37:54 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

I think the best gauge for a trade is Carmelo from the Nuggets to the Knicks. He was also 27 when he was traded to the Knicks on the last year of his deal and Denver got Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Timofey Mozgov, the Knicks 2014 first-round draft pick, the Warriors’ 2012 second-round pick, the Warriors’ 2013 second-round pick and $3 million in cash.

Not sure, that trade basically ruined the Knicks chances of building a contender with Carmelo, teams since have avoided giving up that many pieces in trades.

Really we should be looking at what Kyrie went for or what Deron Williams went for. George and Butler went for pennies on the dollar and I don't think we see that repeated with Kawhi.

Williams went for Favors, Devon Harris and 2 first round picks, one of which was #3
Kyrie went for IT, Crowder, zizic and a nets pick (Nets had just finished with the worst record)

Phillys equivalent of the Williams trade would be Fultz + Covington + this years number 10 and a future pick, they'd likely have to add a bit more as the picks are worse and Fultz isn't as good as Favors was, plus Kawhi is a better player than Williams!

Equivalent to the Kyrie trade would be Saric, Covington, Luwawu, + a future high lottery pick that they don't currently have...

If I'm the Spurs I probably don't like either deal and I'd look elsewhere!

« Reply #319 on: June 18, 2018, 07:58:37 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
my opening offer would be Rozier, Morris, Smart (if he likes the spurs), filler, and all of the picks.

All the picks is too much up front with no wiggle room.   You never offer that much initially.  Also, any trade that offers both Rozier and Smart is one that is not taking into account Irving's injury history and very short-sighted.   Stick to your day job because being a GM is not in your future, nor mine.  JK.

« Reply #320 on: June 18, 2018, 08:07:28 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 652
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Wouldn’t be surprised if Leonard stays with the Spurs

« Reply #321 on: June 18, 2018, 08:23:27 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
Wouldn’t be surprised if Leonard stays with the Spurs

Couldn't agree more. He's probably gone, but we shouldn't dismiss this as a possibility.

"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #322 on: June 18, 2018, 08:35:28 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
That may be good advice when you're buying a car that has multiple copies, but when multiple people are bidding on one item you dont want to get hung up on. We dont need any of the 2019 draft picks. Offering rabble for a superstar needs multiple picks included. Or you can include brown and only give up sac19. Make no mistake about it, though. He's a top 3-5 player. This isn't Paul George, kyrie Irving, or any of the other people listed in this thread. But sure offer rabble, 1 pick, get countered with brown and the picks, counter with my suggestion. Just a waste of time. They're not giving him up without multiple first rounders or people who could be traded for first rounders

We could also get backup level PGs on the open market. Rounding out the bench won't be a problem.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 10:07:04 AM by Erik »

« Reply #323 on: June 18, 2018, 08:40:12 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Not sure, that trade basically ruined the Knicks chances of building a contender with Carmelo, teams since have avoided giving up that many pieces in trades.

Really we should be looking at what Kyrie went for or what Deron Williams went for. George and Butler went for pennies on the dollar and I don't think we see that repeated with Kawhi.

Williams went for Favors, Devon Harris and 2 first round picks, one of which was #3
Kyrie went for IT, Crowder, zizic and a nets pick (Nets had just finished with the worst record)

Phillys equivalent of the Williams trade would be Fultz + Covington + this years number 10 and a future pick, they'd likely have to add a bit more as the picks are worse and Fultz isn't as good as Favors was, plus Kawhi is a better player than Williams!

Equivalent to the Kyrie trade would be Saric, Covington, Luwawu, + a future high lottery pick that they don't currently have...

Let’s say Fultz, Covington, and the 10th pick is the starting point for the 76rs.  Is that really any better than say S&T of Smart, Morris and either the Kings pick or the Grizzlies pick? I think it’s close but we can easily sweeten our offer.  If we can hold onto Brown that would be great. Ha

« Reply #324 on: June 18, 2018, 08:55:33 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!

Let’s say Fultz, Covington, and the 10th pick is the starting point for the 76rs.  Is that really any better than say S&T of Smart, Morris and either the Kings pick or the Grizzlies pick? I think it’s close but we can easily sweeten our offer.  If we can hold onto Brown that would be great. Ha

For salaries to match, you might have to include Rozier, and maybe even Nader too (solely for salary). And truthfully it really depends on how they view Fultz. Some on here will say he's a "superstar trade prospect", while others look at him as a guy with legit star-potential that right now just doesn't have high trade value. Honestly if PHI decides to add Saric to that package and maybe a pick, it beats that offer. Otherwise, it's not too bad.

I wouldn't be surprised if teams (other than LAL) lowball them with offers at the beginning because remember, this guy is a rental who has made it clear he prefers to play with either LAL/LAC/NYK. Spurs leverage is honestly not that high here though they'll certainly still look for the highest offers out there (and prefer to deal him East). Kawhi may be a Top-5 player when healthy, but remember, that's "when healthy", because we also have no clue how serious his injury is/was.

Personally, I view Milwaukee as a dark horse candidate. They are in the East, and could offer something like Middleton + Parker + Draft Pick(s) and Spurs probably would like that. Or instead of Parker, add a prospect like Brogdon OR Maker. MIL is probably a bit desperate to add legit star power but right now they are kind of stuck where they are (unless they pull off a trade like this), and they probably want to keep Giannis happy going forward (which means better playoff success next year and beyond).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #325 on: June 18, 2018, 09:17:44 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
According to this SPECULATION, which could just be click-bait (and if so, kudos to them), the Clippers have offered 12, 13 and Tobias Harris for Kawhi.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/othersport/975757/Kawhi-Leonard-trade-LA-Clippers-deal-San-Antonio

I bring that up only as a point of value comparison.

Mike

« Reply #326 on: June 18, 2018, 09:22:33 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Obviously, the biggest concern with trading for Kawhi is the risk of losing him in just one year. He is rumored to want to play in LA, as that is where he grew up. I know Danny and ownership can’t have contact with Kawhi to gauge interest before the trade. However, that doesn’t mean “friends” can’t call Kawhi like Irving, Hayward, or even Paul Pierce. One of the biggest issues between Kawhi and the Spurs was supposedly over his injury and how the team didn’t necessarily back him up. Well, who could be better spokesmen for the Celtics in that regard than Irving or Hayward? As for being born and raised in LA and then playing for Boston, could the Celtics have a better ambassador than Pierce? Maybe Danny just wants to hear if Kawhi is open to the idea of playing in Boston, or if he is dead set on playing in LA in one year.

« Reply #327 on: June 18, 2018, 09:27:25 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

For salaries to match, you might have to include Rozier, and maybe even Nader too (solely for salary). And truthfully it really depends on how they view Fultz. Some on here will say he's a "superstar trade prospect", while others look at him as a guy with legit star-potential that right now just doesn't have high trade value. Honestly if PHI decides to add Saric to that package and maybe a pick, it beats that offer. Otherwise, it's not too bad.

I wouldn't be surprised if teams (other than LAL) lowball them with offers at the beginning because remember, this guy is a rental who has made it clear he prefers to play with either LAL/LAC/NYK. Spurs leverage is honestly not that high here though they'll certainly still look for the highest offers out there (and prefer to deal him East). Kawhi may be a Top-5 player when healthy, but remember, that's "when healthy", because we also have no clue how serious his injury is/was.

Personally, I view Milwaukee as a dark horse candidate. They are in the East, and could offer something like Middleton + Parker + Draft Pick(s) and Spurs probably would like that. Or instead of Parker, add a prospect like Brogdon OR Maker. MIL is probably a bit desperate to add legit star power but right now they are kind of stuck where they are (unless they pull off a trade like this), and they probably want to keep Giannis happy going forward (which means better playoff success next year and beyond).

Good point about the Bucks.  They can put together a very attractive offer, and for them I think it would be a very good risk with Kawhi only signed for 1 more year trying to keep Giannis happy.

« Reply #328 on: June 18, 2018, 09:39:49 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
There is absolutely no way I can envision Leonard ever wanting to stay with the Bucks. Especially Milkuawkee.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #329 on: June 18, 2018, 09:42:53 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Those pennies Indy got for George turned into silver dollars. Lol.