Author Topic: For which big(s) do you want to trade either Brown, Tatum or Hayward?  (Read 12139 times)

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I have seen many posters complain about the wing logjam. Some feel we have to start players out of position to enable to play Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum and Gordon Hayward together as they're too good for the bench. Others see the need for a center (or a power forward) who can help re-balance the roster.

If the Celtics want to solve this 'problem' then Brown seems the odd man out to me, since Tatum is our wing with the most potential (according to most) and the trading value of Hayward is at an all-time low. But maybe you want to take the biggest asset (Tatum) to get the best big man possible? Or you feel that Hayward unfortunately just has to go and you'll take anything that you can get?

My question is: Who do you want for either Brown/Tatum/Hayward and is realistically available (perhaps with Smart or picks involved)?

Make your case with trading details and why you want that specific player.

(myself don't want to trade Brown or Tatum or Hayward unless it's for an almost guaranteed All Star, which is probably unrealistic, but I'm curious what other fans want and find acceptable)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 07:30:12 PM by RodyTur10 »

Re: For which bigs would you trade Jaylen Brown?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 07:23:00 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I feel Jaylen, Tatum and Hayward are all SFs.

Of the 3, Jaylen is the one best able to play a second position - at SG. I don't know why Jaylen should be the odd one out.

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 07:24:18 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff

Of the 3, Jaylen is the one best able to play a second position - at SG. I don't know why Jaylen should be the odd one out.

So you want to trade Tatum or Hayward? Or keep them both for now?

You know what, I'll change the topic title  8)

Re: For which big(s) would you trade Jaylen Brown?
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 07:25:34 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I don't want to trade Brown either.  He is one of our core guys right now.  Build the team out by adding to Brown/Tatum /Smart, not by trading them.

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 07:26:05 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm not interested in trading Jaylen for anybody who isn't a currently All-Star near the start of his prime.

I want to see what Jaylen and Jayson can become, and I want to see specifically how good they can be playing alongside one another.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 07:28:40 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Oh, I think we are in a holding pattern until we discover what exactly Gordon Hayward is good for.

(1) Is he only capable of doing what he did last year = subpar bench player
(2) Is he a borderline starter / bench player
(3) Can he be a good starting caliber again
(4) Can become an All-Star caliber player again

No point breaking up Jaylen and Tatum until we know what Hayward is capable of. And we should get a definite answer to that next season.

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 07:32:21 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I struggle to see Hayward and Tatum playing well together as starting SG and SF. It's hard to see them being able to function defensively without wrecking Boston's team defense due to the lack of defensive quickness on the wing. That would put a lot of pressure on the other players to carry them on defense.

Hayward hasn't looked comfortable at SG for a few years now. Even before the injury (and he has slowed down significantly since then). I think Hayward and Tatum are going to end up fighting it out for that SF position long term. One will stay, one will go.

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 07:35:00 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff

Oh, I think we are in a holding pattern until we discover what exactly Gordon Hayward is good for.

No point breaking up Jaylen and Tatum until we know what Hayward is capable of. And we should get a definite answer to that next season.

I agree with you. Are you fine though with playing Hayward as a 6th man? Since I really can't handle watching a Tatum - Hayward - Horford frontcourt defensively against a good team.

The last days I have seen multiple people suggest that we should trade one of our wings for a center, where are they  ;D?

Online Who

• James Naismith
Anyway, back to the question - bigs I'd trade Jaylen for.

(1) Jaren Jackson
(2) Karl Anthony Towns
(3) Jokic

I'm too sacred of Embiid's & Porzingis' long term health. Not sure I give up Jaylen for either of them.

Maybe Ayton but I am not fully sold on that.

I like Mo Bagley but not enough to part with Jaylen to get him.

Guys like Steven Adams and Rudy Gobert are only one-way players and I am not giving up a two-way wing with serious upside for either of those guys. Myles Turner is not talented enough (nor is Sabonis).

Is there anyone else I am forgetting?

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 07:35:48 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

I agree with you. Are you fine though with playing Hayward as a 6th man? Since I really can't handle watching a Tatum - Hayward - Horford frontcourt defensively against a good team.

The last days I have seen multiple people suggest that we should trade one of our wings for a center, where are they  ;D?

Yeah, I think that is where we are stuck at. For now. Unfortunately.

Hopefully by mid-season we'll be ready to come to some conclusions with Hayward and decide how that effects the team moving forward.

Re: For which big(s) do you want to trade either Brown, Tatum or Hayward?
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 07:36:51 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I don't want to trade anyone. I want to use all of our draft picks and develop our team into a title contender. After this Kyrie/AD stuff, I'm now firmly in the camp of doing things the Spurs way. Draft well, build a team of individuals that like playing together and become incrementally better each year. Forget this notion that every year needs to have a big 5 and title or bust. The titles will come on their own.

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 07:37:26 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

You may not be watching Horford as part of that group anymore, reports are he is looking elsewhere for a 4 year deal and not resigning with us.

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2019, 07:41:14 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Agreed. I'd even argue that he would be the best suited of the three to play the 4 spot too. He's the strongest guy of the three, and he knows how to defend post ups very well. Hayward really can't shift to guard full time either, so the point is largely moot.

This is only an issue because both Hayward and Tatum are really only small forwards and aren't well suited to moving up or down a weight class, at least until Tatum fills out. If Brown leaves, the problem remains. Its a one year issue. Hayward has only two years on his deal and will be quite easy to move next year. We might as well see if Stevens can figure it out.

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2019, 07:44:19 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff

You may not be watching Horford as part of that group anymore, reports are he is looking elsewhere for a 4 year deal and not resigning with us.

Wow, things change quickly. It's hard to keep up with all the bad news  >:(.

I honestly wasn't in favor of signing Horford to begin with for that huge contract (unless Durant would sign as well, which he obviously didn't), but he has done really well in Boston and I'm going to miss him.

Re: For which big(s) do you want to trade either Brown, Tatum or Hayward?
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2019, 07:51:26 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
Anyway, back to the question - bigs I'd trade Jaylen for.

(1) Jaren Jackson
(2) Karl Anthony Towns
(3) Jokic

I'm too sacred of Embiid's & Porzingis' long term health. Not sure I give up Jaylen for either of them.

Maybe Ayton but I am not fully sold on that.

I like Mo Bagley but not enough to part with Jaylen to get him.

Guys like Steven Adams and Rudy Gobert are only one-way players and I am not giving up a two-way wing with serious upside for either of those guys. Myles Turner is not talented enough (nor is Sabonis).

Is there anyone else I am forgetting?

Embiid or Jokic are completely unrealistic anyway and Towns as well. I'd trade Brown for Deandre Ayton and Jaren Jackson Jr. would be even better, but also can't see that happening. John Collins is someone I probably pull the trigger as well, but the timing now would be bad since his value is sky-high after his monster season in Atlanta.