Author Topic: FIBA Basketball World Cup 2014  (Read 46197 times)

Re: FIBA Basketball World Cup 2014
« Reply #90 on: September 06, 2014, 10:45:23 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
The Croatia/France game was really fun to watch.  I like France as a dark horse candidate to go far in the tournament, even without their two superstars.

Also, I was very impressed with Bogdanovic and Tomic for Croatia.  Does an NBA team have the rights to Tomic?  He should come over.  I know Bogdanovic is coming (man, is it going to be confusing when both Bogdanovices come over as rookies in the same season.

Saric is very good too. Further along than I thought. A lot of Kukoc to his game.

« Reply #91 on: September 07, 2014, 12:42:56 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I don't think it's a given that Spain gets through to the final.  Their half of the draw looks much tougher than the US'.  They've got France next, and then whoever comes through Serbia/Greece and Argentina/Brazil.

Yeah, that bottom half is dangerous.  The US should get to the final.  Then, I think whoever makes it out of the other half of the field will give them a real dog fight. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #92 on: September 07, 2014, 10:48:31 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
Devastating 1 point loss against Turkey.  :'(

Led for most of the game, went on a run in the 3rd quarter and led by 12. Plenty of chances to extend the lead further but missed free throws and silly turnovers allowed Turkey to close the gap to 4 points at 3 quarter time.

Went ahead by 5 with a minute to go, Emir Preldzic then scored a 3 and on our next possession Cameron Bairstow had the shot clock expire just before he made a shot, with 22 seconds left on the game clock. Preldzic hit another 3 to put them up by 1 with 5 seconds left. Our attempt at a game winner ended with Ingles fumbling the ball away. :(

Bitterly disappointing to go from an exhilarating win over perennial European powerhouse Lithuania to a tank job against Angola and a choke job against Turkey.

Just glad Baynes had a good tournament, surely he gets another NBA contract.

Joe Ingles has also had some media speculation about his chances of getting into the NBA. Apparently he had an offer from Memphis before last season but opted to play with Maccabi Tel Aviv in Israel. I didn't follow him a great deal but judging by the stats he looks to be about 7th or 8th on the depth chart. ??? Will see what happens, Memphis has been talked about as a possibility for him again as well as Philadelphia due to Brett Brown being the coach.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 01:17:47 AM by Adelaide Celt »
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2014, 05:44:10 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
i didn`t see that coming..... France qualified over Spain! A depleted France mind you.... Well deserved win though. They destroyed Spain on the boards strangely enough

France vs Serbia will be a very interesting game .... Pretty much the real final of the tournament

« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2014, 06:15:37 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
Didn't see that one coming either. Spain got very little from M.Gasol and Rubio. Silver and bronze medals wide open.

In the meantime I'm curious what sanctions FIBA might impose on Australia. Seeing as we're the only team to have ever strategically rested players ::)
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2014, 06:20:53 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
France wanted it more. Spain had very little ball movement. Gobert was a monster on the glass and defending the basket. Would love to see him in green. Just the type of player we need.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 06:26:07 PM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #96 on: September 10, 2014, 06:47:39 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't think it's a given that Spain gets through to the final.  Their half of the draw looks much tougher than the US'.  They've got France next, and then whoever comes through Serbia/Greece and Argentina/Brazil.

So much for Spain.

« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2014, 05:48:09 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
France wanted it more. Spain had very little ball movement. Gobert was a monster on the glass and defending the basket. Would love to see him in green. Just the type of player we need.

i don`t think it is that simple ...France gambled allowing Spain take a lot of threes. And although Spain has a few ,at least, 3p takers they were all awful yesterday while Jordan took over Huertel`s body and make some tough clutch shoots

« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2014, 08:48:06 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

i don`t think it is that simple ...France gambled allowing Spain take a lot of threes. And although Spain has a few ,at least, 3p takers they were all awful yesterday while Jordan took over Huertel`s body and make some tough clutch shoots
Not just 3s, other than Pau Spain couldn't buy a bucket all game.

« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2014, 10:21:43 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
They were 2-22 from trey land.   I could shoot better than that blindfolded.  Their offense faltered.   Could have been France's D could have been Spain's shooting.   I knew the USA would be ok, when Barkley picked Spain to win it all.   I told my son that he is rarely right.

« Reply #100 on: September 11, 2014, 05:35:01 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
For anyone interested, check out my recap of today's USA vs. Lithuania semifinals matchup.

GAME RECAP --- USA vs. LITHUANIA
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

« Reply #101 on: September 11, 2014, 06:09:17 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
US just keeps playing a sluggish half and then crushing teams.

« Reply #102 on: September 11, 2014, 07:14:11 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
They were 2-22 from trey land.   I could shoot better than that blindfolded.  Their offense faltered.   Could have been France's D could have been Spain's shooting.   I knew the USA would be ok, when Barkley picked Spain to win it all.   I told my son that he is rarely right.

Spain beat France by about 25 less than a week ago though.

« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2014, 04:37:11 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Teodosic is putting on  show against France... When he is focused he is the best pg in Europe.

« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2014, 06:15:33 PM »

Offline soulman

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 21
We made it to the finals! Huge success for the team with 0 nba players on team.
Go Serbia. Can t wait for the final game against USA!