Author Topic: FIBA Basketball World Cup 2014  (Read 46183 times)

Re: FIBA Basketball World Cup 2014
« Reply #105 on: September 12, 2014, 06:24:00 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
We made it to the finals! Huge success for the team with 0 nba players on team.
Go Serbia. Can t wait for the final game against USA!

A lot of those players belong in the NBA though. Raduljica and Kristic backs him up. I do like Serbia's chances. They're big, move the ball, can shoot, and are really good in the pick and roll.

« Reply #106 on: September 12, 2014, 06:38:05 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Spain beat France by about 25 less than a week ago though.

In a game that did not matter.

« Reply #107 on: September 12, 2014, 07:15:43 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Diaw looks wayyyy heavier than he did at the end of last year.  A good 10-20 pounds.  Must have done some pretty awesome celebrating over the summer.  Though I guess he does this every off-season huh?
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #108 on: September 12, 2014, 07:18:24 PM »

Offline soulman

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 21
Krstic finished his nba career, and Raduljica is a free agent, i would say our chances are very small but this is already huge success with this roster for a small country with big history like Serbia.

« Reply #109 on: September 12, 2014, 07:18:42 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Spain beat France by about 25 less than a week ago though.

In a game that did not matter.

They all matter. Spain was better than France, but not last game. That's what happens in these one and done formats. If it were a series you can rest assured Spain wins.

« Reply #110 on: September 12, 2014, 07:29:29 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Krstic finished his nba career, and Raduljica is a free agent, i would say our chances are very small but this is already huge success with this roster for a small country with big history like Serbia.

Raduljica played last year and is said to want to play in the NBA this season.

USA is a 22 point favorite. I would easily take Serbia with those amount of points.

« Reply #111 on: September 12, 2014, 09:30:52 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
From serbian team I would like to bring at Boston Teodosic and Raduljica, both great players ready for a big team @ NBA. Also, Bogdanovic very good defender...In general, french PG very good scorer. Batum always great scorer. Spain already are old veteran team...No more chances for them in next decade.

« Reply #112 on: September 12, 2014, 10:02:36 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
From serbian team I would like to bring at Boston Teodosic and Raduljica, both great players ready for a big team @ NBA. Also, Bogdanovic very good defender...In general, french PG very good scorer. Batum always great scorer. Spain already are old veteran team...No more chances for them in next decade.

I think they'll be fine. The Olympics is in 2 years, and this will be the age's of the their core roster:

M Gasol 31
Ibaka 26
Rubio 25
Fernandez 31
Rodriguez 30
Llull 28

« Reply #113 on: September 12, 2014, 11:58:06 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
eugen returns!
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #114 on: September 13, 2014, 02:13:58 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

As i said teodosic is probably the best guard in Europe. But he has serious character issues and more than often he is "uncoachable". Although not entirely his fault it`s not a coincidence that he hasn`t won any major trophy. But the truth is that he is concentrated he is unstoppable and he is in the final i think we`ll watch a good game. USA will eventually win but they ll have problems against the Serbs ball handlers.

I don`t agree about spain.... There is a huge talent pool there to replace anyone. IMHO Spain will remain the team to beat in Europe.

« Reply #115 on: September 13, 2014, 08:55:20 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
They all matter. Spain was better than France, but not last game. That's what happens in these one and done formats. If it were a series you can rest assured Spain wins.

Not against the USA!  Spain's guards are pathetic.   Rubio is vastly over rated and could not defend a child.  He can't shoot, he is flashy and a great dribbler but unlike Rondo he can't affect the game in other ways.  Their bigs are great but 1-3 they are not that good and maybe average at best.   This is their weakness.   All you have to do against them is spread the floor which Diaw did very well and all that size becomes a hindrance because Marc Gasol is slow.  Pau used to have some defensive range but age limits him some in this regard, he is still a saavy offensive player.   Ibaka has the range but can't be everywhere.   

Spain is a great team, no team arguably has better bigs, with flaws that can be capitalized on.   I think the same can be said of the USA team as this is one of weakest teams we have put forth in terms of flaws.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 11:44:18 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #116 on: September 13, 2014, 01:58:58 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Rubio is vastly over rated and could not defend a child.

I don't think you've seen Rubio play much.

Timberwolves point guard Ricky Rubio was not among the 10 players named to the NBA all-defensive team Monday, but he did receive five votes to the first team.

Rubio received 19 points in all. It took a minimum of 76 points to make the second team. Two points were awarded for first-team votes and one point for votes for the second team.

« Reply #117 on: September 13, 2014, 02:01:43 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Did anyone get to see France v Lietuva?

In the box scores it looked like Demo was the weak link. Not sure if they played him out of position to try to match him up with Batum or not

« Reply #118 on: September 13, 2014, 03:10:56 PM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 34
I hate that Spain was upset. I was looking forward to see them match up with the US team. I guess that's the flaw in a one-and-done tournament.

« Reply #119 on: September 13, 2014, 04:15:54 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Why is it a flaw ? I guess it`s a matter of personal preference but i like upsets. I was looking forward to a USA vs Spain final as much as anyone but the Spaniards should have known better.

IMHO if you want to be world champion you should be 100% concentrated and focused in every game. They weren`t and lost their chance.