Author Topic: What a terrible idea for a reality show...  (Read 5539 times)

Re: What a terrible idea for a reality show...
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 05:17:25 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Fox has a history of being a trash network. They lucked out on shows that were trash like Family Guy, The Simpsons, and especially Married with Children, and this show will be trash. I predict it will be one of the most popular shows on tv

Not to threadjack, but The Simpsons is "trash"???  It's widely recognized as one of the greatest TV comedies of all time.  You sound like my Jr. High Principal when he banned those "Underachiever and Proud of It" t-shirts.  MWC I'll give you, though I liked it, it pretty much reveled in its own trashiness.  Family Guy is a mix, especially in the first few seasons.

And this show won't be a smash success, I'd be surprised if it lasted a full season in the format as described in the OP. 

The Simpsons is trash for different reasons, mostly cause they think they're better than everyone. It's a fairly pretentious show that's built on stereotypes and political correctness.
It's witty, and at times just plain funny what with Homer and whatnot, but in general it's a trash show
It's one of the few shows I can think of right off the top of my head that has an entire character built on attacking a culture only it's a stereotype of one.

being counter culture doesn't make you trash. Its ok to point out society's flaws, especially with how ridiculous our world has gotten.

I'd have to disagree that the Simpsons point out society's flaws. It's just a liberal show written by a bunch of Harvard writers that like to talk down to people.

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 05:33:58 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Fox has a history of being a trash network. They lucked out on shows that were trash like Family Guy, The Simpsons, and especially Married with Children, and this show will be trash. I predict it will be one of the most popular shows on tv

Not to threadjack, but The Simpsons is "trash"???  It's widely recognized as one of the greatest TV comedies of all time.  You sound like my Jr. High Principal when he banned those "Underachiever and Proud of It" t-shirts.  MWC I'll give you, though I liked it, it pretty much reveled in its own trashiness.  Family Guy is a mix, especially in the first few seasons.

And this show won't be a smash success, I'd be surprised if it lasted a full season in the format as described in the OP. 

The Simpsons is trash for different reasons, mostly cause they think they're better than everyone. It's a fairly pretentious show that's built on stereotypes and political correctness.
It's witty, and at times just plain funny what with Homer and whatnot, but in general it's a trash show
It's one of the few shows I can think of right off the top of my head that has an entire character built on attacking a culture only it's a stereotype of one.

being counter culture doesn't make you trash. Its ok to point out society's flaws, especially with how ridiculous our world has gotten.

I'd have to disagree that the Simpsons point out society's flaws. It's just a liberal show written by a bunch of Harvard writers that like to talk down to people.

ah, so it seems more that you don't like thier point of view than show quality.

Which is cool, but i disagree.

also, there's a ton of shows that "talk down" to people a ton more than the simpsons, both animated and otherwise.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 06:00:29 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
see this kind of discusions is why i stick to my shipuden

heading to watch no. 104 and 103 right....now.

;D
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 06:21:24 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
This show is in no more poor taste than any other reality television show. I can understand why someone could be offended, but if you're offended by this show then you should be offended by many other reality television shows. The simple fact is, we are living in a different time. If you complain about this show, you should have complained when the countless other so-called offensive reality shows came out. Namely, Temptation Island and Amish In The City are two that quickly come to mind. To cry out murder at this show is a ridiculous idea. It is the year 2009 and these things have been going on for a long time now. If we were living in the year 1950, you may just have a point. But we're living in a different time and there are different rules.

Television allows many things people would find offensive: transgendered people, cuss words, drugs, implied sex, and the news in general. So why should I feel that someone getting fired is crossing the line? Give me a break.

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 08:22:13 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

ah, so it seems more that you don't like thier point of view than show quality.

Which is cool, but i disagree.

also, there's a ton of shows that "talk down" to people a ton more than the simpsons, both animated and otherwise.

This is the difference between the Simpsons, Family Guy, and South Park, and King of the Hill.

The Simpsons are like this.
Hey Homer what religion are you? 
I'm the one with all the stupid people that are preachy but actually cause the problems...Christianity!  (Cheap laugh).  Enter Flanders "Right a roonie!"   

Family Guy:   Hey Lois.  Let's go to church so I can yadda yadda totally unrelated to anything goes on for a few minutes ...kinda like the time I...yadda yadda flashback of Peter as a Klingon yelling at Kirk to answer the question now...so I can fart at the priest and be banished to Hell by the Pope like I was last year.

Both just aren't funny and rely on shock value cause lots of times that's pretty much all they have

South Park and King of the Hill are also preachy but usually involve plots that involve solving a problem with redeeming characters and call it the way it is.  And in the process can be funny.