Author Topic: Can Tatum play the 4?  (Read 2535 times)

Can Tatum play the 4?
« on: June 17, 2019, 01:46:32 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I know that Stevens' system consists of (1) Handlers, (2) Swings & Wings, and (3) Bigs. And often Stevens only plays one big at a time.

Some people would argue it doesn't particularly matter that Boston doesn't have a big, strong, rebounding "4" to cover opposing players like Giannis, Blake Griffin, Siakim, etc. However, I would argue that this remains a huge question mark for the Celtics. It's why they were forced to start Marcus Morris. And it's one reason why the idea of acquiring AD seemed so exciting--because Horford could finally fulfill the "big, strong, rebounding 4" role.

So here's my question: Can Tatum fill this role eventually? Do we expect it from him next year?

As of right now, many people envision a starting lineup of:

PG-Smart/Rozier/FA signing
SG-Brown
SF-Hayward
PF-Tatum
C-Horford

If Tatum can't cut it at the 4, this means either Brown or Hayward go back to the bench, or the Celtics will once again have a rotating starting lineup depending on team match-ups.

Generally, I'm wondering what we can expect from Tatum moving forward? Can he guard big men? Or is that too much to ask of a skinny wing player?

Re: Can Tatum play the 4?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 01:48:06 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Sure he can, though depending on how Hayward recovers you might want him on the 4 if you plan to scheme help on his responsibility more.

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 01:51:03 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Tatum has the size to the play there but not the mentality.

He needs to be more physical and aggressive. Work the boards.

However, Tatum doesn't play that way. He plays soft. He plays finesse defense. He does enough to get by but no more on the backboards. Tatum is comfortable when he has equal or superior size to his opponent but he has been uncomfortable whenever he is facing a bigger opponent. He hasn't learned how to play against bigger people yet.

Hopefully this will change in time ... but as of now, no, Tatum cannot play the PF position. He needs to play SF.

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 01:51:33 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Due to his bad on ball defense I prefer him at the 4. If he gets better on D by reading scouting reports and watching film more he could handle the 3. Just don't know his commitment to D.

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 01:52:42 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
It depends on the competition. He can't against the Bucks, for example.

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 01:53:49 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
It depends on the competition. He can't against the Bucks, for example.

Yeah, Tatum definitely can play the 4 but its certainly matchup dependent. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 01:55:40 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Works both ways. There will be mismatches where he gets exposed and mismatches where the opposing 4 gets exposed. Tangentially, it seems like we change the starting lineups regularly depending on opponent. I'd prefer to keep the starting lineup intact, even if we suffer a clear mismatch, and alter the rotations after the tip. Starting matters to players. Also gives us a chance to see which way a mismatch would tilt in any given night.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 01:56:16 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
People really seem to think Tatum was bad on D, I just don't get it.

He had trouble getting through ball screens (big frame and tendency to rely on length to recover), but other than that I think he did a good job.

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 02:01:03 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
I think Tatum can be a good defender.  He has good length and is a smart player.  When he was a rookie he seemed to put out more effort on def.  Last season he didn't seem as locked in on d, and honestly made more dumb mental mistakes. 

The problem with Tatum on def is he doesn't have great quickness / speed, so he is at a bit of a handicap against quicker players, and he doesn't have the bulk to deal with stronger stretch 4's.  Since there isn't much he can do to improve his quickness, it probably makes sense that he adds some muscle / weight so he can deal with guarding bigger guys who aren't as quick.

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 02:01:26 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
No, and horford isn`t good enough to cover the weaknesses of having tatum there.

Horford needs to be the PF.

Center, yet again, is a massive question mark.

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 02:05:49 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
No, and horford isn`t good enough to cover the weaknesses of having tatum there.

I lean toward this viewpoint also. It means that one of Brown/Hayward needs to come off the bench. But also would make us a well-rounded squad if somehow the Center position can be filled adequately.

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2019, 02:07:31 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Its all matchup dependant but I am not confident in Hayward, Tatum or Browns ability to consistently defend big forwards.

Looking at the top of the east

Bucks, Giannis

76ers, Simmons

Raptors, Siakam

These 3 teams all start "4s" who are to big for the Celtics three wings. My simple solution is to play one as the super 6th man.

I want to see the Cs start Smart, Tatum, Hayward and Horford along side Baynes or a more pure 4 who they sign in free agency. The players I would like to see them target are Randle / Milsap (likely to costly) or Jamychal Green / either Morris twim.

I would then bring Brown off the bench in a 30+mpg bench role. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2019, 02:10:08 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
People really seem to think Tatum was bad on D, I just don't get it.

He had trouble getting through ball screens (big frame and tendency to rely on length to recover), but other than that I think he did a good job.
He has good defense for his age. Great physical tools to do it. But many times he lost his man, he was blown by, and crossed over one on one. He also defends in the "no man area" like a zone defender, which you can't do unless your team is actually playing Zone. He needs to build his on ball defense.

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2019, 02:12:12 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
Its all matchup dependant but I am not confident in Hayward, Tatum or Browns ability to consistently defend big forwards.

Looking at the top of the east

Bucks, Giannis

76ers, Simmons

Raptors, Siakam

These 3 teams all start "4s" who are to big for the Celtics three wings. My simple solution is to play one as the super 6th man.

I want to see the Cs start Smart, Tatum, Hayward and Horford along side Baynes or a more pure 4 who they sign in free agency. The players I would like to see them target are Randle / Milsap (likely to costly) or Jamychal Green / either Morris twim.

I would then bring Brown off the bench in a 30+mpg bench role.

I actually remember Brown playing pretty good def against Simmons a few times during the year.  But Simmons is a more limited player and Jaylen is great at one on one def, especially stopping the drives to the bucket.

But we have no one to stop Giannis no matter who it is.  I don't remember who guarded Siakam most, probably Tatum / Morris.

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2019, 02:13:39 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

I lean toward this viewpoint also. It means that one of Brown/Hayward needs to come off the bench. But also would make us a well-rounded squad if somehow the Center position can be filled adequately.

If Hayward is not moved in a deal for a quality starting center, or space is not made for a higher mid tier free agent one like Bryant I like Dedmon at the MLE.

Rebounder, shotblocker, defender and a 3pt shooter.

I also prefer Hayward off the bench as it will most likely need scoring and a vet presence cause it will probably have some youth in there.