Author Topic: brad wanamaker to the C’s? UPDATE, finalizing deal  (Read 22957 times)

brad wanamaker to the C’s? UPDATE, finalizing deal
« on: June 18, 2018, 02:53:05 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
I'm told the Boston Celtics are giving strong considering to bring over Euro star Brad Wanamaker - MVP of the Turkish finals with Fenerbahce. Other NBA teams with interest: ORL, BRK, PHI and MIA.

https://twitter.com/iamdpick/status/1008782007906852865?s=21
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 03:43:25 PM by matteo »

Re: brad wanamaker to the C’s?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 02:56:22 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Cheap replacement for Larkin?

Camp invite?

We all through Theis was not even a legit option when he was brought over...turned out to be pretty important.

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 03:17:43 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
He was mentioned as a possibility last year before we went with Larkin.  A Theis-style deal (year 1 guaranteed, year 2 unguaranteed) seems like the most likely possibility if he did ultimately sign.  He’s not coming back just for a training camp invite.

With the success and roles of both Larkin and Theis last year, I imagine the Celtics would get serious consideration from players trying to make the jump to the NBA, assuming the contracts were equal.

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 04:10:51 PM »

Offline detour

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 22
  • Jack of some trades
Fenerbahçe fan here, just a little bit info on Wanamaker:

Pros: He can do a little bit of everything, good finisher with contact under the rim, decent shooter, can drive & kick and find open man, very strong frame, can stay in front of all Euro guards, had a great year under the tutelage of the greatest Euro coach ever, doesn't crumble under the pressure and performs at big games

Cons: Not a great decision maker - he settled for too many mid-range shots although he can bulldoze his way to the rim in Europe, not great athletically at the NBA level, mediocre P&R vision (can't thread the needle to the roll man), he is very emotionless which can be a problem for a bench guy if you want energy from him

All in all, I believe he is a better player than Larkin without a doubt. The question is if he's the guy Stevens and Celtics needs. I'd be really sad to see him go as he always produced at Euroleague games, he contributes even when it's not his day.

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 04:19:58 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

Pros: He can do a little bit of everything, good finisher with contact under the rim, decent shooter, can drive & kick and find open man, very strong frame, can stay in front of all Euro guards, had a great year under the tutelage of the greatest Euro coach ever, doesn't crumble under the pressure and performs at big games

Cons: Not a great decision maker - he settled for too many mid-range shots although he can bulldoze his way to the rim in Europe, not great athletically at the NBA level, mediocre P&R vision (can't thread the needle to the roll man), he is very emotionless which can be a problem for a bench guy if you want energy from him

All in all, I believe he is a better player than Larkin without a doubt. The question is if he's the guy Stevens and Celtics needs. I'd be really sad to see him go as he always produced at Euroleague games, he contributes even when it's not his day.

TP!!!!  ;D

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 04:27:00 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Sloukas papapetrou are better fit.. great pg with good vision th first... a player who can play multiple positions the second

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 04:30:10 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think I read that he’s due to make $3.8 million overseas. So, if he comes here I’ve got to think he’s sacrificing money.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 04:49:26 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
I think I read that he’s due to make $3.8 million overseas. So, if he comes here I’ve got to think he’s sacrificing money.

That $3.8 million is over two seasons, however.  Still likely sacrificing money in the short run, but if he can put in a decent showing for two seasons, he can probably make that income up in the future, even just on minimum-salary deals.

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 05:21:01 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I watched a lot of Wanamaker in college but know nothing of his Euro career. Seems like he's improved a bit with his passing in some specific areas but otherwise his basic pros and cons are similar. Bigger issue seems like dependence on physical strength to get by, which will produce sharply lower returns against NBA competition.

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 05:24:21 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Never heard of him..thought he was a **** star by his last name
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 05:35:57 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

That's encouraging. Not sure who we will be able to get, but it at least makes him viable. Maybe he'll talk to Shane about how playing for Boston helped his career stateside.

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 05:47:11 PM »

Offline detour

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 22
  • Jack of some trades

That's encouraging. Not sure who we will be able to get, but it at least makes him viable. Maybe he'll talk to Shane about how playing for Boston helped his career stateside.

Yeah, you shouldn't have doubts about his talent or work ethic. He was the MVP in Turkey and he actually had a good Final Four but Doncic and Real Madrid were too much to handle.

If things get serious, Wanamaker will call Theis first. They played together in Brose Bamberg during 2015-2016 season.

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 05:54:51 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Just look him up... 29 years old and never played in NBA? NO THANK YOU
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 06:08:42 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I watched a lot of Wanamaker in college but know nothing of his Euro career. Seems like he's improved a bit with his passing in some specific areas but otherwise his basic pros and cons are similar. Bigger issue seems like dependence on physical strength to get by, which will produce sharply lower returns against NBA competition.

Of course his faults are why he’s probably a minimum salary candidate, and why he’s a 3rd/4th-string PG option.  That said, PGs who rely on strength can still have a place in the NBA. It’s worked for Felton for a decade.  And at age 29, you’re probably getting him near the apex of his physical abilities.

But Wanamaker, or someone like him, fits the profile the Celtics are looking for.  An experienced player who can come in for injuries or when Brad needs to shake up the lineup, and cheap to fill out the roster.  I like that he’s got the size and strength to stick with smaller wings.

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 06:24:24 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He is taller and could probably not be so easy to post up.   But seriously this seems like a reach to have something to talk about in the summer doldrums of Celticsblog.