Author Topic: Customary 11/11 update -- How good of a team are we?  (Read 1351 times)

Customary 11/11 update -- How good of a team are we?
« on: November 11, 2017, 02:54:12 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Even though it’s so early in the season, predicting how good we are based on these early results seems as least somewhat warranted.  I saw here that updated algorithm predictions have us winning 60 games this year at the moment.  Who would have ever predicted we would be as good as we’ve been after losing Hayward for the season?  I saw this game as a great example of how the team is finding success as a unit thus far.  And it’s [dang] impressive imo.

Tonight was an incredible win.  This is a really likeable team so early in the season.  The past two years we were waiting for the defense to get locked in, and now we're already best in the league after a huge turnover.  Ainge did do very well this offseason.  Also seems like these guys really enjoy playing with each other  -- when a guy makes a big play, or they get a good win, etc.  But man, after tonight..

Tatum:  Is a 19 year-old kid our best isolation scorer?  Definitely seems like a reasonable case can be made thus far.  I think he's also been our best shooter from deep.  And on top of all that,  he's already playing through injuries in the beginning of his rookie season.  Remarkable player.  I think it's becoming pretty clear that he has the highest upside on the team, with Brown only a rung (or maybe two) behind.

Brown: This kid is better than a lot of people thought he'd be so early on.  The Celtics must have believed in him to give up a year of Bradley for some frontcourt help.  And Brown appears to already be carrying the offense at times.  I'm interested in any statistical differences in his play between quarters, but not sure where to look for that.  He and Tatum also complement each other perfectly, from skillset to mentality, imo.  He also never seems to be fazed by the moment, and knows when to lead.

The production of the bench PGs has been awesome.  Rozier started off the season hot, and continues to impact games on both ends of the floor with his length and aggressiveness.  Smart has done well when called upon to direct the offense, esp since it's been hurting.  And when called upon, Mr. Larkin has been a major contributor to 2 wins already this season.   

The bench mob, in general, has been great.  Morris is probably still out of shape but came up huge when needed tonight.  Theis has had multiple good games now.  And Baynes has had multiple great games.  He's a tough guy, and that's exactly what this Boston team has needed this year.  I actually remember him playing with a broken nose, taking a hard shot on that nose with a facemask on, and literally laughing it off.  There are some guys in this league that just defined toughness, and we're seeing how important that is already this season.  Heck, some guys play through so much more, sometimes even knowing that it's hurting their body.  The NFL is a great example, actually.  But Bayes just continued to play ball, and what an animal.  These Detroit guys seem to be fitting in well for the Celts.

Credit to the Hornets though, and particularly Kemba.  That dude is an absolute gamer late in the game, dating back to his glory days at UCONN.  We were just the better team tonight, and it sure as heck seems like that's going to be the case most nights this season.  Set up very well for the future. 

So how good are we at this point?  Would you predict an ECF appearance?  Could we make the Finals?  Could we win it all?  Seems very far-fetched, but if GSW suffers significant injuries or playoff suspensions, could we actually take the crown this early?  Regardless, what an awesome start.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Re: Customary 11/11 update -- How good of a team are we?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 02:58:49 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Pierce said the other day we could be in the nba finals

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 03:13:51 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
Pierce said the other day we could be in the nba finals

Pierce has been an awesome analyst.  And yeah, doesn't it honestly seem possible?  They've looked really, really good.  And frieken deep.

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 03:17:48 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
643 words and no mention of the K word

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 03:47:20 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

I feel like I did give Kemba his due on the night that we went 11-2.  But the Celtics tonight had an exceptional team win.  Kemba did play a great, all-round game... and especially when it mattered.  But I honestly think our team defense won that battle between the baselines tonight.  Crazy enough, that was without our best all-around player as well as our go-to scorer. 

« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 03:54:21 AM by tarheelsxxiii »

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 07:10:28 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
C's need a lot of work. Getting to the free throw line, passing, transition  defense, shooting, finishing, ball handling, differing, and ball watching have been issues in games. Team has been fortunate to have the record they have. It may be a false hope 60 win team if they can't clean things up because to beat Warriors or a Cavs ( with IT) it's going to take excellent intelligent team basketball. We have plenty of games to go to become more efficient and consistent in play.

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 07:17:55 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743

I feel like I did give Kemba his due on the night that we went 11-2.  But the Celtics tonight had an exceptional team win.  Kemba did play a great, all-round game... and especially when it mattered.  But I honestly think our team defense won that battle between the baselines tonight.  Crazy enough, that was without our best all-around player as well as our go-to scorer.
lol. Nice.

Anyway, with the way the East is shaping up, I don't see any reason this team can't go to the Finals if the defense can stay locked in and everyone keeps working to advance offensive cohesion.

The win last night after losing Kyrie and being without Horford already (to say nothing of Hayward) and holding Charlotte to 11 4th quarter points was nothing short of inspiring.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 08:10:12 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Semi's defense is legit

Theis is a legit backup big

Tatum is DEFINITELY not a bust.

That feels like about all can be said for sure.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.