Author Topic: I still am not ready to blow it up  (Read 3588 times)

I still am not ready to blow it up
« on: June 19, 2019, 12:42:31 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I know, I know, if Al and Kyrie leave, we're not any kind of contender.  Yet, I am still of the mind that Tatum, Hayward, and Brown could form a good core to win now.  I would rather find a way to sign a good veteran with the money we have than try and flame out completely.

I want no part of the five year plan.

Re: I still am not ready to blow it up
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 12:55:48 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I know, I know, if Al and Kyrie leave, we're not any kind of contender.  Yet, I am still of the mind that Tatum, Hayward, and Brown could form a good core to win now.  I would rather find a way to sign a good veteran with the money we have than try and flame out completely.

Me either. I don't even know if I'll be following basketball in five years.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 12:55:56 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
My personal hope now, is that we sign one of Randle/Russell using just cap space. Then trade 1 of our picks for a future pick, and draft two other players. Then, we should have the MLE (9M) and another exception which I forgot the name of (it's like 3.5M I believe). Add two more players there and roll with that team for next season. Not a true threat to win the title but still a playoff team and probably still Top-4 or Top-5 in the East IMO (though it also depends what Brooklyn and New York actually do themselves + if PHI can keep all their FAs)

NOTE: I'm going by the assumption we'll have about 20M+ in cap space, possibly more.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 12:56:35 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
My personal hope now, is that we sign one of Randle/Russell using just cap space. Then trade 1 of our picks for a future pick, and draft two other players. Then, we should have the MLE (9M) and another exception which I forgot the name of (it's like 3.5M I believe). Add two more players there and roll with that team for next season. Not a true threat to win the title but still a playoff team IMO and probably still Top-4 or Top-5 in the East IMO (though it also depends what Brooklyn and New York actually do themselves + if PHI can keep all their FAs)
The biannual exception
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 12:58:28 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1551

right. we just went through a 5 year plan 2014-2019. we blew it up after 2013 our last run with The Truth and The Big Ticket.

looks like year 6 rebuild no matter what?  better than going back to year 1 right?
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 01:01:15 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
My personal hope now, is that we sign one of Randle/Russell using just cap space. Then trade 1 of our picks for a future pick, and draft two other players. Then, we should have the MLE (9M) and another exception which I forgot the name of (it's like 3.5M I believe). Add two more players there and roll with that team for next season. Not a true threat to win the title but still a playoff team IMO and probably still Top-4 or Top-5 in the East IMO (though it also depends what Brooklyn and New York actually do themselves + if PHI can keep all their FAs)
The biannual exception

Oh okay, thanks!
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 01:02:05 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
They have four good pieces in Tatum, Smart, Hayward and Brown. Would be nice if Williams could get on the court to show what he has.

Everyone else Baynes, Semi, Yabu, Wannamaker, Theis, etc should be expendable.

Don't want Rozier back.

Would like to make at least 2 of the picks tomorrow then add with the max slot, MLE, Biannual exception.
Try to get in the top 5 next year in the east.

I think Philly takes a step back and the Nets stay static. Don't see Kyrie moving the needle for them.

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 01:02:20 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
danny is going to need to make a decision. keep the jays for now or maybe long term? see what he can add via free agency? what about all these draft picks? use some for a proven player? save some to see if somebody develops? how many do we keep? or can we trade picks for a higher pick in a certain draft year? If this is not the year maybe DA makes a move next year in draft? lots of decisions for danny
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 01:03:07 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
Huh??? We've already been blown up... whether we were ready for it or not. Bigger question is how do we pick up the pieces?

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 01:07:02 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
Huh??? We've already been blown up... whether we were ready for it or not. Bigger question is how do we pick up the pieces?

nice over reactionary hyperbole.

we still have some good young guys we DRAFTED in smart, brown and JT plus a free agent in GH. ok so we lose kyrie who we snagged in a trade and Al who we got via free agency. we can still keep building around the core we have.  without kyrie and no KD there are no quick fixes in FA or the draft. you wanna see a blown up team go back and ook at the 2014 team. that team wished they had a tatum or brown on it. take a few steps back and take a breath
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 01:10:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Once you use cap space a team only has the Room Exception of about $4.7 million and vet minimum contracts available to them to sign more free agents that are not their own free agents.

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 01:10:18 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I certainly do not want this draft to be a throw away where they take guys that 1. never get on the court or 2. take guys that are not going to make the team and get stashed.

Danny loves his picks. Might as well use them all. Still maintain that who they draft tomorrow will be better than Yabu, Semi, Wannamaker, etc.

Who cares if you have a young team. Rather have guys that can play than stiffs on the bench that have never proven themselves.

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 01:13:42 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Once you use cap space a team only has the Room Exception of about $4.7 million and vet minimum contracts available to them to sign more free agents that are not their own free agents.
No bi-annual exception? I know that the MLE would shrink to 4.7M if we use cap space, but the bi-annual exception being gone as well is news to me :o
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 01:14:11 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
What does "blow it up" mean?

If it means tear down a potentially contending team, that's been done for us.  As soon as Kyrie started looking for greener pastures, our contending days were over.

If it means "full rebuild, trade everyone", I don't think that's ever been an option.  We have a lot of pieces in place.  Tatum, Brown, Smart.  Maybe Hayward, maybe Williams, maybe Rozier.

The only real question is, what do we do with the in-between guys?  Baynes, Morris, etc.  Do we keep them, or move them and hope for maximum flexibility?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2019, 01:15:49 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
What does "blow it up" mean?

If it means tear down a potentially contending team, that's been done for us.  As soon as Kyrie started looking for greener pastures, our contending days were over.

If it means "full rebuild, trade everyone", I don't think that's ever been an option.  We have a lot of pieces in place.  Tatum, Brown, Smart.  Maybe Hayward, maybe Williams, maybe Rozier.

The only real question is, what do we do with the in-between guys?  Baynes, Morris, etc.  Do we keep them, or move them and hope for maximum flexibility?

I am all for moving the in between guys. Yabu is pointless. Mook isn't going to be happy here IMO. Rather develop Williams and the big they draft over Baynes taking up minutes.