Author Topic: NFL 2023 Season  (Read 130815 times)

Re: NFL 2023 Season
« Reply #1365 on: February 12, 2024, 06:09:16 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1584
Niners had their chances. 3rd and 4 both in the 4th quarter late and then OT, if you convert those you basically win the game. They settled for FGs way too much when they needed TDs.

KC definitely is a dynasty. Still not as good as New England's but they are up there with some of the other ones too.

SF first possession of the game = turnover. Second possession killed by back-to-back penalties by Pro Bowler Trent Williams. Niners should’ve been up 20 at halftime instead of 10.

Can’t forget the missed extra point.
This game sadly even though it was a well played game that went to overtime and in theory could’ve gone either way it was never in doubt, chiefs were clearly winning
They would have lost in regulation had they hit that XP, because I have almost 0 doubt that the Chiefs instead of kicking the FG with 6 seconds left, would have gone for the TD and would have gotten it in the 2 attempts.

lol this is classic. Obviously their hall of fame coach disagreed with you (and an announcer that dealt with timing of plays as a nfl quarterback for over a decade was doubtful they could safely get two plays off) but the fact that you know better than both of them and have zero doubt is absolutely classic mo stuff. Tp
It wasn't worth the risk down 3, down 4 it is an entirely different situation

Also, the play they ran took 4 seconds. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 07:43:34 AM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1366 on: February 12, 2024, 06:27:23 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 441
Miss XP & muff punt cost the 49ers..plus I would had kick it off in OT first, that way if KC did score first, u have 4th downs to go for it..Lost lot of respect for Kelce for showing up & pushing Andy Reid, if he did that to me I would bench him in 2nd quarter
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #1367 on: February 12, 2024, 06:33:37 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 356
Miss XP & muff punt cost the 49ers..plus I would had kick it off in OT first, that way if KC did score first, u have 4th downs to go for it..Lost lot of respect for Kelce for showing up & pushing Andy Reid, if he did that to me I would bench him in 2nd quarter

It would’ve been mind-numbingly stupid for the 49ers to kick off in OT and give Mahomes the ball

« Reply #1368 on: February 12, 2024, 07:02:20 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25568
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

It would’ve been mind-numbingly stupid for the 49ers to kick off in OT and give Mahomes the ball

I understand Shanahan's explanation, even if I don't necessarily agree.  He wanted to control the third possession, if both teams scored.  Unfortunately, both his offense and defense fell short.

If they give KC the ball, the Chiefs probably score a TD.  If SF now scores a TD they're pretty much forced into going for two; otherwise KC wins in sudden death.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1369 on: February 12, 2024, 07:31:01 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 305
Niners had their chances. 3rd and 4 both in the 4th quarter late and then OT, if you convert those you basically win the game. They settled for FGs way too much when they needed TDs.

KC definitely is a dynasty. Still not as good as New England's but they are up there with some of the other ones too.

SF first possession of the game = turnover. Second possession killed by back-to-back penalties by Pro Bowler Trent Williams. Niners should’ve been up 20 at halftime instead of 10.

This game sadly even though it was a well played game that went to overtime and in theory could’ve gone either way it was never in doubt, chiefs were clearly winning
They would have lost in regulation had they hit that XP, because I have almost 0 doubt that the Chiefs instead of kicking the FG with 6 seconds left, would have gone for the TD and would have gotten it in the 2 attempts.

lol this is classic. Obviously their hall of fame coach disagreed with you (and an announcer that dealt with timing of plays as a nfl quarterback for over a decade was doubtful they could safely get two plays off) but the fact that you know better than both of them and have zero doubt is absolutely classic mo stuff. Tp

I think you misunderstood what Romo was talking about. He meant two chances to go for a touchdown, but maybe not having enough time for a FG attempt after that. The play before only took 3 seconds.

« Reply #1370 on: February 12, 2024, 07:53:04 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 356

I understand Shanahan's explanation, even if I don't necessarily agree.  He wanted to control the third possession, if both teams scored.  Unfortunately, both his offense and defense fell short.

If they give KC the ball, the Chiefs probably score a TD.  If SF now scores a TD they're pretty much forced into going for two; otherwise KC wins in sudden death.

Both the offense and defense played too conservative in OT; they clearly didn’t have enough trust in Purdy, which may have been justified; also, they were so concerned with giving up a touchdown on a big play down the field that they were essentially playing prevent defense; 2 and 14 and the secondary was about 10-15 yards downfield to start the play, giving KC and easy chunk of yardage to make 3rd down more manageable

« Reply #1371 on: February 12, 2024, 10:13:35 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: 3119
  • On To Banner 18!
If it weren't for Brady, Mahomes would have 5 SBs right now and probably the same as Brady lol. Crazy to think about. Brady going 2-0 against Mahomes in the playoffs including the SB definitely holds some weight IMO even if others want to ignore it. Brady almost directly won two SBs by beating Mahomes along the way.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1372 on: February 12, 2024, 10:15:44 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1407

I think you misunderstood what Romo was talking about. He meant two chances to go for a touchdown, but maybe not having enough time for a FG attempt after that. The play before only took 3 seconds.

I think maybe you did? What you are saying makes no sense. Romo thought it was dicey if they could get a second play off. Whether that second play was a field goal or a second pass is completely irrelevant. And while the previous play did take a very short amount of time there are a lot of things that can make a play take longer whether it is a player getting held up in someone’s grasp, a bad snap that throws timing off, a ball getting tipped up or bobbled etc. that is exactly why romo said they couldn’t risk trying to run two plays there and he was probably right. He was pretty explicit saying they needed another second or two.

« Reply #1373 on: February 12, 2024, 10:39:14 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1009

I think maybe you did? What you are saying makes no sense. Romo thought it was dicey if they could get a second play off. Whether that second play was a field goal or a second pass is completely irrelevant. And while the previous play did take a very short amount of time there are a lot of things that can make a play take longer whether it is a player getting held up in someone’s grasp, a bad snap that throws timing off, a ball getting tipped up or bobbled etc. that is exactly why romo said they couldn’t risk trying to run two plays there and he was probably right. He was pretty explicit saying they needed another second or two.

Prior to the first play at ten seconds he said that if the first play took 3-4 seconds, they would have time for a second play before going for a FG.  Then after that first play took 4 seconds and there were 6 seconds left, he changed his tune a bit and thought the field goal was the way to go.

« Reply #1374 on: February 12, 2024, 10:44:50 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1407

Prior to the first play at ten seconds he said that if the first play took 3-4 seconds, they would have time for a second play before going for a FG.  Then after that first play took 4 seconds and there were 6 seconds left, he changed his tune a bit and thought the field goal was the way to go.

Yes correct.

« Reply #1375 on: February 12, 2024, 10:50:29 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1584

because it wasn't worth the risk when you need a FG to tie.  They easily could have gotten 2 plays off if they needed a TD though, and we know this because the one they ran in that exact situation took 4 seconds.  Lots of bad things can happen, so you don't take the risk if you don't have to. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1376 on: February 12, 2024, 10:58:54 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1519
 :-X

Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #1377 on: February 12, 2024, 11:17:09 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 328

I guess we know who really runs that team.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #1378 on: February 12, 2024, 11:32:41 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1666
  • What a Pub Should Be
Sounds like a bunch of SF players had no clue on the overtime rules.  Unreal.

That's on Shanahan & the coaching staff.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #1379 on: February 12, 2024, 11:32:54 AM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 98

I guess we know who really runs that team.

Belichick would have benched him and lost the game. Reid knows Kelce and Mahomes have huge egos that he has to manage as part of his job. Kelce helped win him a 3rd ring.