Author Topic: 2023-2024 WNBA Season  (Read 47650 times)

Re: 2023-2024 WNBA Season
« Reply #90 on: July 21, 2024, 01:41:20 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1407
Not a good look that the Olympic team lost to a bunch of Americans not on the Olympic team.

I mean the men?s Olympic team was close to the worst look in the history of nba players playing in the Olympics. 44 point favorites winning by one woof. This all star game was nearly
Double the total points of a decent amount of regular season wnba games. Nobody was taking it serious
« Last Edit: July 21, 2024, 01:50:21 AM by celticsclay »

« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2024, 02:19:49 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2451
Interesting WNBA All-Stat game format, that I didn't understand at first.

I thought the all stars were being split between USA and the World.

But it's the Olympic team vs the best players not on the Olympic team. So if the NBA did that, you'd have Brown, Brunson, Irving, Maxey, etc. going against Team USA, that could be cool to see (if played more competitively), especially if you'd get guys like Brown going hard to prove a point.

Wouldn't work in the NBA, but works in the WNBA due to the timing of the all star game and the Olympics.

I was watching an old ABA All-Star game on youtube a while back. I believe it was their last ASG in 1976 and they played their Championship team against other All-Stars.

So like the Boston Celtics vs rest of the league's All-Stars.

« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2024, 01:59:54 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1428
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Not a good look that the Olympic team lost to a bunch of Americans not on the Olympic team.

Terrible look. I mean the last time this happened in women's basketball, the Olympic team only went onto win the gold.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2024, 04:01:14 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 778

Terrible look. I mean the last time this happened in women's basketball, the Olympic team only went onto win the gold.

I think the "bad look" is more about the gate-keeping of the old guard than the actual prospects of the US women's team winning the gold again. I thought multiple players looked way better than multiple of the olympic team.

« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2024, 04:05:18 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1428
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I think the "bad look" is more about the gate-keeping of the old guard than the actual prospects of the US women's team winning the gold again. I thought multiple players looked way better than multiple of the olympic team.

Oh, my bad then. I agree completely. The old guard and "politics" is exactly why Arike Ogunbowale withdraw her name for national team consideration.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2024, 04:07:06 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1584

Yes. Exactly.  Pick the best players, especially if they want to play, not the older ones "who earned it".  Arike Ogunbowale was clearly the best player on the floor last night.  I'm not saying she is better than players like Wilson or Stewart, but she should pretty clearly be on the team.  And I know Clark and Reese are rookies and maybe not quite there, but they are the 2 biggest draws in the sport.  I'd rather see them to early than 42 year old Taurasi get one more shot. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2024, 05:22:49 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 778

Yes. Exactly.  Pick the best players, especially if they want to play, not the older ones "who earned it".  Arike Ogunbowale was clearly the best player on the floor last night.  I'm not saying she is better than players like Wilson or Stewart, but she should pretty clearly be on the team.  And I know Clark and Reese are rookies and maybe not quite there, but they are the 2 biggest draws in the sport.  I'd rather see them to early than 42 year old Taurasi get one more shot.

Taurasi, if she can stay healthy, is still one of the best players to have on that team. But the having Lloyd over Clark and Ogunbowale is questionable, even though Lloyd is a good player and likeable.

Frankly, maybe the most egregious was Alyssa Thomas over Reese.Thomas seems like a smart player, but looked like one of the slowest and worst players on the court last night.

« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2024, 07:16:31 AM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

Taurasi, if she can stay healthy, is still one of the best players to have on that team. But the having Lloyd over Clark and Ogunbowale is questionable, even though Lloyd is a good player and likeable.

Frankly, maybe the most egregious was Alyssa Thomas over Reese.Thomas seems like a smart player, but looked like one of the slowest and worst players on the court last night.

I could be wrong but I saw that Ogunbowale withdrew her name from consideration to play for team USA.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2024, 11:54:38 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1584

I could be wrong but I saw that Ogunbowale withdrew her name from consideration to play for team USA.
because it was a political process and she saw the writing on the wall that she wasn't going to be selected. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip