Author Topic: Big men who could be signed?  (Read 7562 times)

Re: Big men who could be signed?
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2019, 03:57:47 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I'm down for Robinson. The forward momentum of him already wanting to be here is a rare aspect of A situation like this so late in the season. He was a plus athlete in the league the moment he was drafted, here's hoping there's more to him than what he's shown so far.

FWIW I think that Terrence Jones is the best player not currently playing in the NBA. But we already tried him if he was going to stick you would have stuck, I'd say let's get Robinson a shot.

https://youtu.be/-KhckBFsaVg

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2019, 07:28:34 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
With Al as the starting center, is there anyone the OP listed that you wanted getting minutes over Baynes or Thies? And if we're talking about injury insurance, is there any of them you want getting minutes over Timelord?

I'm not against signing someone. Might as well fill out the roster. But I'm not going to expend anyone signed at this point to play meaningful minutes.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2019, 07:39:05 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
With Al as the starting center, is there anyone the OP listed that you wanted getting minutes over Baynes or Thies? And if we're talking about injury insurance, is there any of them you want getting minutes over Timelord?

I'm not against signing someone. Might as well fill out the roster. But I'm not going to expend anyone signed at this point to play meaningful minutes.

I think its purely for Baynes injury insurance. Robert Williams has been dominant at times as a help defender but can get abused in 1 on 1.

A guy like Gortat or T Rob can recoup some of the size and toughness in the middle that we lose when Baynes is sidelined.

IMO Timelord lacks the lower body strength to check Embiid or Giannis.

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2019, 08:32:45 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Well, with Baynes out for a while and Al needing/expecting a few games off down the stretch, we really do need another big body to put out there - at least for the games Al is not playing. Theis and Timelord can do their thing, but big minutes can't be expected of either.

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2019, 09:13:44 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I love Baynes, but you got to ask yourself if he is a keeper with all those injuries. at least he is not getting paid much.

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2019, 09:22:46 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I love Baynes, but you got to ask yourself if he is a keeper with all those injuries. at least he is not getting paid much.

He's a keeper, he just shouldn't be a guy who is a vital part of your rotation.

Major design flaw of this roster.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2019, 09:33:06 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I don't see an available big man that could  be signed and be of any help for the rest of the season/postseason. 

our likeliest solution for a quality big man lies in an offseason trade for AD. 

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2019, 10:15:20 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
"Ainge also believes Aron Baynes’ ankle injury is more of a day-to-day thing than multiple weeks but said team will tread carefully."

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2019, 10:29:18 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
"Ainge also believes Aron Baynes’ ankle injury is more of a day-to-day thing than multiple weeks but said team will tread carefully."
HAHAHAHA  Danny and his wordplay    :laugh:

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2019, 10:31:40 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
With Baynes out and Al's minutes restriction, we should see a lot more of Theis and Robert Williams at the 5 the last 11 games.  Kind of forces Brad's hand.

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2019, 10:33:42 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

The only good thing about Baynes at this point is he's bound to pick up his $5 million option for next season which we can use as filler in an AD trade.

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2019, 10:57:57 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Stevens, please start playing Williams more. We know he can't shoot the 3 ball but we need some interior defense and shot blocking.

Ainge, go get Gortat as some insurance.

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2019, 11:00:53 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker

The only good thing about Baynes at this point is he's bound to pick up his $5 million option for next season which we can use as filler in an AD trade.
Looking at hoopshype, i don't see he has an option.

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2019, 11:31:03 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Looking at hoopshype, i don't see he has an option.

He does...see below
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/aron-baynes-11850/

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2018/07/aron_baynes_re-signs_with_bost.html

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2019, 12:56:43 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
TP to Liam for putting himself through the agony of compiling that list....gracious.

This is the way I see it.

Last night with Baynes out and Horford resting, going small with Rozier or, having Semi "play center" looks kind of ok over the majority of these guys. Daniel Theis isn't an NBA center...he's a German one which, I guess, is how we gonna roll.