Author Topic: Kevin Durant: Kyrie, MJ, and Kobe stand out the most to me in film studies  (Read 2514 times)

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Kevin Durant has seen a lot of basketball film through the years, and three players in particular left an impression.

He told The Athletic's Shams Charania:

"Kobe [Bryant], MJ [Michael Jordan] and Kyrie [Irving].

"Just the way they move, I don't understand why people don't realize what they're seeing in these three, especially Jordan and Kobe. Kyrie is younger than me, and that's one of my best friends, so I watch his stuff. I get to play with Steph [Curry] every day, so I know his game inside and out.

"But watching Kobe and Mike, I'm like, 'How do you not realize how good these dudes are?' How do you not say they're by far better than anybody who's played the game? Just by the way they move, how fluid they are."

He added: "I can't do what MJ does. I can't palm the ball. I wish. I can't shoot the turnaround, pump-fake spin, half-spin fadeaway like Kobe. Or crossover like Kyrie. I can't do it. But I can try it. I can do it in my version, do it in my way. It keeps me creative and my excitement level for the game."

And continued:

"Everybody that comes to my house, whether it's friends or family, I make them watch Jordan highlights. This is equivalent to [Albert] Einstein...f--king [Ludwig van] Beethoven...or [Barack] Obama. This is the greatest talent and athletes and minds of the world.

"Just because they play sports, people think one way. But they're masters, they're geniuses. I just started realizing that a few years ago: Watching those guys can really spark my creativity."

Durant said he also enjoys watching film of former Milwaukee Buck Sidney Moncrief and former New York Knicks Bernard King and Stephon Marbury.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2810246-kevin-durant-michael-jordan-kobe-bryant-kyrie-irving-stand-out-most-on-film

Very very interesting quotes from KD.

Definitely does add to the fact that as much as people dislike Kyrie, he is infinitely one of the most skilled guards in the history of the NBA. Not to mention being good friends with KD also helps when trying to bring star talent to the Celtics.

Who knows? If we had gotten Kyrie instead of IT, during the recruitment phase, do we think that Irving could've been the catalyst along with Brady? Who knows.

Kobe was a lesser version of MJ, but he also excelled at great post moves, and footwork.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: Kevin Durant: Kyrie, MJ, and Kobe stand out the most to me in film studies
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 03:48:38 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
So he realizes his place in history, and is upset with Steph Curry.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 03:56:03 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Kyrie is a very special player. For that reason, we need him here

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 04:00:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Kyrie is amazing with the ball in his hand, but Durant is such a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline..  I really can't stand him, I just hope he doesn't take Kyrie to NY with him.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 04:09:14 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
So did he imply that Kyrie is better than Curry?

Now there is a debate for you.  These are both active players.  You can argue Kobe or Jordan all day but they played at different times and are both done.  Kyrie vs. Curry is on right now.

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 04:13:29 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Now there is a debate for you.  These are both active players.  You can argue Kobe or Jordan all day but they played at different times and are both done.  Kyrie vs. Curry is on right now.

I think "standing out" & "better" don't necessarily mean the same thing.

I mean, Kyrie's handle jumps out big time.  And that would certainly come across loud & clear in film studies.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find people (outside of those with green goggles) that would say Kryie is a better player than Steph.    But you could certainly make the argument that Kyrie's skill set and talent might pop out more. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 04:18:01 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

What’s the debate for Kyrie over Steph?

In terms of watching them, though, I think Kyrie’s ball-handling is a special skill that less than a handful of guys in history could replicate.  Even the MVP-level guys like Durant and Lebron will envy Kyrie’s handle.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 04:51:16 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
So this now means that KD is going to be traded to the Cs in a s&t this offseason...right?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 04:57:43 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 04:55:21 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

What’s the debate for Kyrie over Steph?

In terms of watching them, though, I think Kyrie’s ball-handling is a special skill that less than a handful of guys in history could replicate.  Even the MVP-level guys like Durant and Lebron will envy Kyrie’s handle.
Steph's the greatest shooter in NBA history, but I can see how one might say Kyrie is a more skilled in certain offensive attributes.  Meaning, his ability to create space or get to his spots is pretty incredible.

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 04:57:52 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
So this means that KD is now going to be traded to the Cs in a s&t this offseason...right?

This is a question I was posing.

Is a S&T possible, and if we traded Hayward+picks+fillers, would GSW accept the deal, and how much of an impact would this have on our future FA signings?

I mean trading Hayward for Durant is a no-brainer, but most players will not see it like that.

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2018, 06:06:42 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
What's interesting, really interesting is no mention of LBJ.  He even mentions the former teammate, Kyrie.

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2018, 06:25:32 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
What's interesting, really interesting is no mention of LBJ.  He even mentions the former teammate, Kyrie.
it sounds like he was watching film to try to copy/integrate moves into his arsenal of offensive moves. You don't need to practice traveling or fouls. 😀

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 06:28:01 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
it sounds like he was watching film to try to copy/integrate moves into his arsenal of offensive moves. You don't need to practice traveling or fouls. 😀

Good thing he doesn't need to learn how to kick players in the nuts. Draymond has him covered on that. :angel: He's probably missing his Injury Enforcer badge on Hall of Fame, ever since Zaza left.

Anyways funny joke, TP bud!

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 07:45:00 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

Good thing he doesn't need to learn how to kick players in the nuts. Draymond has him covered on that. :angel: He's probably missing his Injury Enforcer badge on Hall of Fame, ever since Zaza left.

Anyways funny joke, TP bud!
right back at ya. My joke wasn't that funny.

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2018, 08:26:16 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

ZING!!!