Author Topic: Worst Sports Memories  (Read 16458 times)

Worst Sports Memories
« on: September 16, 2008, 02:02:46 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Looking for 3 categories here:

1) Worst memory as a fan
2) Worst memory as a Celtics fan (unless the same as a bove)
3) Worst memory playing a sport

1) a) Buckner! Still the worst, I'm not one to blame it all on Buckner, but his play was the culmination.
   b) 2003 Aron Boone Game 7 Walk Off...Had me spinning for days...Grady leaving Pedro in etc...
   c) last years Super Bowl...yes, it was tempered by the fact the Pats had one a few SB's, but it still sucked A LOT

2) a) Lenny Bias' death
   b) Reggie Lewis' death
   c) Duncan lottery ping pong ball hell
   d) Magic's game winning hook shot in the Finals

3) While playing Senior Babe Ruth I came on as a pinch hitter and delivered a game tying hit late in the game.  I went in to player catcher and in the bottom of the 7th (last inning) with the game still tied and a runner on second I had two consecutive high fastballs tip off my mitt and roll to the backstop letting the winning runner move to 3rd, then score the winner.  I felt really bad.  The worst part was, it was the first game of a doubleheader and I had to go to work after the first game.  I sheepishly left in my car...I'm sure my teammates cheered my departure :-[
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 03:03:59 PM by Redz »
Yup

Re: Worst Sports Memories
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 03:00:31 PM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
1) Reggie Lewis death
   Non-Celtics related was 2/3/08

2) Reggie Lewis death

3) My varsity basketball team grossly underachieved during my senior year, but that in terms of a particular moment, I might have to go with little league.  It was during my first year of little league, when I would only get to play 2 innings per game (everyone was required to play at least two innings and get one at bat).  It was a playoff game and I was out if right field.  Someone hit a towering fly ball that seemed to stay in the air forever.  I start backpeddling and dive backwards to make a great catch.  I was so proud of myself.  The crowd started going wild.  Although I didn't realize that most of the crowd was going wild because they were yelling at me to throw the ball into the infield, because the runner on second was tagging up all the way home on the play.   :'(

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 03:16:03 PM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
1) Worst memory as a fan

- Patriots losing the last Super Bowl was very difficult for me. It was very painful.

2) Worst memory as a Celtics fan.

- Alonzo hitting that 17 footer in the 1993 first round to all but knock the Celtics out (Mchale to Dee Brown on an inbounds ally oop with .03 seconds left failed)

- While going for a rebound I got smashed in the face with an elbow. Nose broken in 2 places. It sucked.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 03:23:43 PM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
1) Worst memory as a fan

- Patriots losing the last Super Bowl was very difficult for me. It was very painful.

- Alonzo hitting that 17 footer in the 1993 first round to all but knock the Celtics out (Mchale to Dee Brown on an inbounds ally oop with .03 seconds left failed)

- While going for a rebound I got smashed in the face with an elbow. Nose broken in 2 places. It sucked.

I was a Kendall Gill fan growing up, but that SOB should've been called for goal tending on that last play.

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 03:26:26 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
1 - Difficult. I'll have to get back to you on this one.

2 - I'm going to say losing out on Duncan and the brief period between losing out on Oden and Durant and then getting KG, those times sucked.

3 - Back in school I was playing football (soccer) and I went on a mazy run past three players into the penalty area. The good news is we won a penalty, the bad news is the Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again. that tackled me broke my leg in 3 places :'(

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 03:28:11 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
1) Worst memory as a fan

I was a Kendall Gill fan growing up, but that SOB should've been called for goal tending on that last play.

That alley oop coulda shoulda woulda been the greatest game winning play in hoops history!  A painful end to McHale's career, though I remember him commenting on how a lot of players learned what it means to be a Celtic in that series.  They played their butts off.
Yup

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 03:45:31 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
not landing 1st or 2nd pick in last year's draft.. turned out ok though..

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 04:08:32 PM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 202
1) Worst memory as a fan
   Playing Field
    A - Bucky Dent
    B - Buckner
    C - Losing to the Lakers in 85
   Off Field
    A - Lenny
    B - Reggie

2) Worst memory as a Celtics fan (unless the same as above)
    See Above

A - Ripping the cartilage in my knee in 8th grade, I still feel it to this day
    B - Losing the Pinewood Derby in 4th grade, made it to the finals but came in 4th missing all trophies.
I love my kids - Call me a sap, but it's true.

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 04:16:25 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
1) Worst memory as a fan
   Playing Field
    A - Bucky Dent

Wow, I guess all this winning has healed some wounds.  I didn't even think of Bucky Dent.  That was pretty [dang] awful.  Ohhhh, the `78 Red Sox.  Still, perhaps, the most talented Sox team ever.
Yup

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 04:22:12 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
1. Grady Bleeping Little.  Has there ever been a time when even the casual fans know exactly what is going to happen, but the manager ignores it?

2. Losing the lottery in 2007.  It worked out great, but at the time, it felt like all hope was lost.

3. This one is tougher.  I want to say my entire senior year of football, because we had an incredibly talented team, but ended up underperforming, because our coach was a jerk, who no one wanted to actually play for.

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 04:27:18 PM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 202
1. Grady Bleeping Little.  Has there ever been a time when even the casual fans know exactly what is going to happen, but the manager ignores it?

Wow, I guess all this winning has healed some wounds.  I didn't even think of Grady Little.  That was pretty [dang] awful.  Ohhhh, the memory. 

(Thanks to Redz for the statement)  Grady makes the top five.
I love my kids - Call me a sap, but it's true.

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 04:38:29 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300

2. Losing the lottery in 2007.  It worked out great, but at the time, it felt like all hope was lost.

3. This one is tougher.  I want to say my entire senior year of football, because we had an incredibly talented team, but ended up underperforming, because our coach was a jerk, who no one wanted to actually play for.

Ditto for #3...i think a lot of people had that unfortunate experience playing football.  We were real good but lost a couple of games early on that effectively ended our title hopes...coach showed his true colors and ruined the rest of our senior year with his constant negativity.

Worst moment for myself was accidentally missing a practice senior year...got me suspended for a game and put me in the dog house for the entire year....whatever, still had fun though.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 04:54:02 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
One other personal worst:

While playing hoops at Emerson (we sucked really, really, realllllllllly bad back then, and no amount of exaggeration could amply get that point across to a degree that you might actually believed me), we were playing a road game against Curry.  Now, I had no right playing Division 3 NCAA basketball, but the state of the Emerson Athletic program being what it was, you could pretty much walk on and play any sport you wanted to, if you weren't opposed to being humiliated by legit programs (Emerson actually has a good program now, but these were the Dark Ages).  So, I got to play a bit in front of the Curry faithful.  I had proudly squeezed myself into a 100 year old purple Emerson Lion uniform and gamely stepped in for some quality garbage time minutes.  One of the Curry players drove baseline and I got in position to take a charge.  He leaped, knee first, directly into my crotch, causing me to yelp in pain.  The refs awarded me with a blocking foul, while everyone in the stands, players on both sides, my coach, and in all likelihood the refs, enjoyed a raucous bit of laughter at my expense (why is it that getting kicked in the nuts is hysterical, so long as its happening to someone else?).

Anyhow, I had to take myself out of the game, which stunk too, because as bad as we were, I did not get a whole lot of minutes.

Yup

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 04:55:31 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
1. Grady Little.
2. Kidd hitting a garbage time 3 to sweep the C's in the 2nd round of the playoffs in 2003.  I spent $200 of what little money I had just to get good tickets to that game.  Pierce could have won it at the buzzer, but missed.  Then, 2 OTs later, Kidd hits a 3 at the buzzer to give the Nets a 10 point victory and sweep us out of the playoffs.  I was p---ed.
3. At my undergrad, IM flag football was a big deal.  I was the Dan Marino of my day (3 playoff final four appearances, no title) until senior year, when we had the best team in the intermediate division.  In the semifinal game we were down by 5 points when we drove to the opponent's 10 yard line with 20 seconds left.  My last memory of this game is throwing what looked like the game winning touchdown.  Immediately after I was thrown into my own lineman, knocked unconscious, and had a seizure on the turf.  

Oh, and the pass was dropped and we lost the game.

That probably haunts me more than any other sports tragedy.  I wanted that t-shirt so bad.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 05:08:47 PM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
1.  Sadly too many to mention.

2.  Losing out on Duncan.  I was so convinced it was going to happen.

3.  Catching a cricket ball in the mouth.  While playing, I went to catch the ball and lost it in the sun.  It came down and caught me good.