Author Topic: The best offensive team in the league may use a little Parker, Candance Parker.  (Read 7560 times)

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
lol.   Isn't that an embarrassment to the league that every time someone dunks they make it a news story?  The 2nd woman to dunk!! OMG OMG OMG!!!

Expect Great, fellas.... expect great!

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'm too lazy to do it, but I'd really like someone to create a "WNBA Dunk Mix".  It will basically be Lisa Leslie dunking immediately followed by Candice Parker dunking... then like 40 seconds of black while the rap track bumps and the tagline "Expect Great" appears on screen.

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 01:03:22 PM by LarBrd33 »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
All i thought of this morning when i saw the tag line

"parker joins pantheon of women dunkers" was that futrama episode where they go to the amazon planet.

The men laugh at women's basketball!

What? Did you explain how the women's good fundamentals makes up for their inability to dunk?

Yes, they still laugh!

THE MEN MUST DIE!
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
Most of the shots they take would get swatted against men.

Offline newdusk

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
Dunking is not the most exciting part of the NBA.. It's really the colorful sprinkles on the cake not everyone likes them but they do look pretty. Don't hate on the women they get to live their dreams of playing basketball for a living. The WNBA is horribly marketed it's sad when anytime it involves females its "us vs. them". Just let the product stand alone don't compare. They should also use smaller venues to bring the fans closer to the action.

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
What I don't understand is if their fundemantals are so good why the heck are they missing so many jump shots?

Seriously almost a quarter of the league is shooting below 40% as a team. That's awful.

If they could make their shots it'd be a really interesting league to watch but they don't.

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Most of the shots they take would get swatted against men.

I disagree. If you're talking NBA men or NCAA div 1, then yes, they'd struggle to get their shot off (not that everything would get swatted though) - but against a group of average male players, I really think they'd dominate - I don't know if you've ever played with female players who have played at a high level (NCAA+) but they have game and really shouldn't be taken lightly

as for the dunk, I agree that making a big deal out of it actually is kind of counterproductive, it just makes people create unfair comparisons to the NBA

ps - Lisa Leslie still plays? She must be 60...
When you love life, life loves you right back

Offline EarthBall

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 110
I don't like defending the WNBA because I don't think its quality of basketball is very good....however, maybe this is one of those things that takes a generation to change. Title IX was in 1972 opening the way for more women playing sports. They got good enough to form professional leagues in the mid-90s. Now, 10+ years later, it isn't great, but their game is definitely better. Maybe now that the WNBA has hit a stride, all those young girls can strive to be WNBAers just like young boys today pretend to be Lebron and Kobe. So, 10 or 20 years from now, the WNBA will be filled with Candace Parker type talent. That, I might actually watch.

Just a thought...

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Who celebrated more, KG and the Celts after winning the championship, or Parker and the Sparks after that dunk?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
the wnba needs to cut a deal with the lifetime network.  they would broaden their support and fanbase and do us a favor and get all the wnba crap off of nbatv!  ;D

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
the wnba needs to cut a deal with the lifetime network.  they would broaden their support and fanbase and do us a favor and get all the wnba crap off of nbatv!  ;D

Cosmo TV maybe?
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

Offline Frontierboy

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Man, watching the WNBA is as painful as watching the Lakers play..... they need to move both teams to the LOGO channel

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I disagree. If you're talking NBA men or NCAA div 1, then yes, they'd struggle to get their shot off (not that everything would get swatted though) - but against a group of average male players, I really think they'd dominate - I don't know if you've ever played with female players who have played at a high level (NCAA+) but they have game and really shouldn't be taken lightly

Meh. The only major advantage they have is the coaching/practice bit. So yes if they show up against some uncoached random rec team - yes they would dominate. But I think a good Div. II team could certainly take them - as well as some Div. III teams. Likewise if they showed up at the cage and tried to take some streetball guys - I don't think they could win either.

It's the same with tennis of course - a good college Div. 1 player will wipe the court with pro women. But in tennis women get paid the same. At least people like watching the women play tennis. I can't say that about hoops. Personally I kind of resent Stern for pimping this crap so hard.

You don't see MLB pimping softball or NFL pimping women's football or anything like that. Why did he do this?

Pete