Author Topic: The last two games mark the beginning of the Rondo era  (Read 4398 times)

The last two games mark the beginning of the Rondo era
« on: November 17, 2012, 10:13:47 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
There is a feeling in regards to Rondo that wasnt here a week ago. The Nets game was kind of eye opening for me. Its not that we played badly- we diddnt. There was just something missing. We were without our leader.
With today's game, I feel Rondo has completely broken through as a transcendant player of this era. He is being mentioned as one of the legitimate favorites for MVP (not just by Boston sports reporters). There was an article posted today on NBA.com calling him the best point guard in the league. Its not that hes all of a sudden better than he was a few days ago, its just that he has done his thing once again. He has proven himself utterly enough times.
The Rondo era has begun.

Re: The last two games mark the beginning of the Rondo era
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 10:22:50 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Don't know what the Nets game has to do with it, I felt the exact opposite and reinforced my theory that Rondo is not as important in this roster as he's been in the past.

What we missed was perimeter guard defense, particularly when you start Barbosa with Terry together against one of the biggest and more offensive talented backcourts in all the NBA. Bradley could have filled in quite nicely here instead, but he's out also.

We have a very versatile team offensively as far as playmaking and ball-handling goes.

Anyways, while when Rondo is on the floor we're better, not having him is not going to break this team either in my opinion.

That said, nice game today.

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 10:32:30 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Don't know what the Nets game has to do with it, I felt the exact opposite and reinforced my theory that Rondo is not as important in this roster as he's been in the past.

What we missed was perimeter guard defense, particularly when you start Barbosa with Terry together against one of the biggest and more offensive talented backcourts in all the NBA. Bradley could have filled in quite nicely here instead, but he's out also.

We have a very versatile team offensively as far as playmaking and ball-handling goes.

Anyways, while when Rondo is on the floor we're better, not having him is not going to break this team either in my opinion.

dont feel like argueing with celticsbloggers

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 10:56:23 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0bZsRVhxJ4

For me this was the game. Sure we lost, but Rondo proved that he was ready, willing, and fully capable of giving the team what it needed on any given night. Rondo has been picking apart teams like the Raptors for years, a 20 assist game versus weak comp doesn't excite me.

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 10:56:51 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

I agree with you in that the Net's game probably made it clear that it is now the Rondo era. Without Rondo on the floor, offense was kind of sluggish during the Nets game. We were without our floor leader. It wasn't a bad game but I thought that Rondo would've affected the game very differently.

Today's game showed how important Rondo really is to the Celtics. I know its the Raptors but it showed his leadership and how he really controlled the game from the start.

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 11:20:15 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

I agree with you in that the Net's game probably made it clear that it is now the Rondo era. Without Rondo on the floor, offense was kind of sluggish during the Nets game. We were without our floor leader. It wasn't a bad game but I thought that Rondo would've affected the game very differently.

Today's game showed how important Rondo really is to the Celtics. I know its the Raptors but it showed his leadership and how he really controlled the game from the start.

He's always been able to do that.

People talk about his consistency but it shouldn't be on him entirely. We had zero depth (no Green, no Wilcox, let alone Barbosa), an injured prideful man who was jealous of Rondo's success, old Pierce, old KG and only Bass.

Of course, his jumpshot helps. Shooting at an insane clip from mid-range this year. He also got stronger.

He makes everyone around him better. Now that there's actually players around him, you finally get to see it.

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 01:39:49 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Rondo plays in the nets game we win by 10+. There was a glaring need for rondo in the game from start to finish. Looking back, I couldn't count the times my friend and I said something along the lines of "imagine if rondo were playing" or "we are terrible without rondo".

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 02:20:03 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I thought the beginning of the Rondo era happened at the end of the 2010 Finals.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 05:21:35 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

Rondo plays in the nets game we win by 10+. There was a glaring need for rondo in the game from start to finish. Looking back, I couldn't count the times my friend and I said something along the lines of "imagine if rondo were playing" or "we are terrible without rondo".
Oh most definitely, it's clear as day unless maybe if you had 1 too many budweisers  ;D
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 07:46:08 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
I thought the beginning of the Rondo era happened at the end of the 2010 Finals.

Bingooo.
Youre a little late to the party op

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 07:50:41 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175

Really? there were spurts where the celtics did ok in the nets game even while everyone had to work harder on offense particularly to start and finish the game and there were very few assists...I mean even Jason Terry himself said they were without their leader in that game and felt they wouldve won by at least 10 had he played...it was quite sad to watch the team without him frankly, in years past Pierce looked more capable of filling in ballhandling and running the offense more then he does right now.

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 09:31:59 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Of course, by the same token, we would've won if Doc used the rotations smarter (put Lee in the starting line up), not played Green at the 4 against Humphries, etc.

It's the defense that let us down, and much of it can also be attributed to missing Bradley... and the aforementioned poor job Doc did in that game.

We only had a letdown offensively at the very beginning of the game and in the 4th quarter, which as we know has traditionally been a letdown for us offensively Rondo or not.

Can that offense be sustainable without Rondo? That's something to discuss, but I think with our current roster we're better prepared to go forward without Rondo than in years past. That's all I was saying, and I don't think the Nets game provides any proof of how much Rondo is important to this team because it didn't. But this has nothing to do with us being better with or without Rondo, all I'm saying that as we're currently constructed, missing him shouldn't break our team.

I'd be a bit more worried about KG and Pierce considering our replacements in those positions.

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 10:04:21 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Thing of it is as well is he is finding the new guys were they like the ball. I have always watched Terry and is much better shooting the ball almost if he catches it going right. If you look at some of the passes Rajon makes its un-real the way he put the ball to terry is almost fading to the right already so he is in his shot already. Rajon is amazing and has become my 2nd favortie player on this team over the years. Pierce will always be number 1 because he made me a beliver in him after the 01-02 playoffs but man Rajon is simply amazing.

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 10:07:30 AM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54

Of course, by the same token, we would've won if Doc used the rotations smarter (put Lee in the starting line up), not played Green at the 4 against Humphries, etc.

It's the defense that let us down, and much of it can also be attributed to missing Bradley... and the aforementioned poor job Doc did in that game.

We only had a letdown offensively at the very beginning of the game and in the 4th quarter, which as we know has traditionally been a letdown for us offensively Rondo or not.

Can that offense be sustainable without Rondo? That's something to discuss, but I think with our current roster we're better prepared to go forward without Rondo than in years past. That's all I was saying, and I don't think the Nets game provides any proof of how much Rondo is important to this team because it didn't. But this has nothing to do with us being better with or without Rondo, all I'm saying that as we're currently constructed, missing him shouldn't break our team.

I'd be a bit more worried about KG and Pierce considering our replacements in those positions.

While I agree that KG and Paul are irreplaceable, I still cannot understand how do you think Leandro Barbosa is a suitable PG replacement in any way.
We would have to ride Paul in a game for 35-40 minutes without even taking a breather in offense for a moment. I don't think we are capable of sustaining that for a long period in the season.

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 10:18:17 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

While I agree that KG and Paul are irreplaceable, I still cannot understand how do you think Leandro Barbosa is a suitable PG replacement in any way.
We would have to ride Paul in a game for 35-40 minutes without even taking a breather in offense for a moment. I don't think we are capable of sustaining that for a long period in the season.

Paul Pierce only played 34 minutes in the Nets game, and only had 12 FG attempts, so let's not extrapolate from that the conclusions you're drawing.

We also have Terry, who in my opinion should be the primary backup PG (and if Rondo is out, I think he's should be the starting PG). We have Lee who can at least bring the ball down to start the offense in a much better capacity than what House did way back when. We have Pierce, we have Green... all of them are capable making plays and creating scoring opportunities.

The team dynamic will change certainly, but it's not catastrophic.