Author Topic: Celtics (2-0) at 76ers (0-2) Round 2 Game #3 5/5/18  (Read 75788 times)

Re: Celtics (2-0) at 76ers (0-2) Round 2 Game #3 5/5/18
« Reply #1260 on: May 05, 2018, 11:45:37 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Tatum genuinely has a shot to end up a true superstar.  We haven't had a true superstar prospect since Bird.  Loved Pierce, but his ceiling wasn't as high as Tatum.  It's exciting.  And most importantly it means Boston could reasonably have their 4th star to pair with Kyrie, Hayward and Horford.   Our only hope of competing with the 4-star Warriors is to have one of our young guys develop into a star as well.   When you also consider the contributions of Brown and Rozier (or moving those guys for Kawhi), it makes our future pretty darn interesting.

Again, no, and I'm not even talking about Pierce, lol.

« Reply #1261 on: May 06, 2018, 12:13:03 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Was away from home, but watched the game at Island's Burgers somewhere in the OC near Los Angeles.

Was screaming and cheering for the Celtics after they won and everyone around me were like "dafuq" or they gave me the looks cuz they were either 76ers fans or Lakers fans LOL.

Those guys Tatum, Horford and Rozier were beasts. Especially watching them stealing the ball from the 76ers late in the game that sealed the deal.

And get those confetti outta here. Game ain't even over and they be celebrating for making a game-tying 2-pointer sending it to OT. And get Joel Embiid's laughing ass outta here too (his dunk over a Celtics player); the Celtics had the last laugh and I was glad.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #1262 on: May 06, 2018, 12:13:47 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Tatum was an astonishing +24 in the game tonight- beyond incredible

It truly is remarkable.  I've been saying all season that I honestly think Tatum is close to as talented as Durant was as a rookie. I  live in Seattle and watched Durant a ton his rookie year (Brown actually reminds me a ton of young Jeff Green back then, but that's a different story).  Durant shot terribly that rookie year.  Like 42% from the field and 29% from three, but he had a green light to shoot as much as he wanted.  I imagine the reps helped his development.

That was the concern with Tatum... that being part of such a loaded roster might stunt his development.  I worried that he wouldn't get the reps and wouldn't get the necessary confidence.  The silver lining of the injuries is that Tatum is now getting an opportunity to be one of the main guys on this team on the big stage.  A huge amount of responsibility has fallen on him.  And the kid is meeting and exceeding expectations.

He's now averaging 18.1 points, 4.7 rebounds, 3 assists, 1.3 steals with 45%/30.7%/82.6% shooting in 10 playoff games.

Compare that to Durant's rookie season where he averaged 20.3 points, 4.4 rebounds, 2.4 asssits, 1 steal with 43%/29%/87% shooting for a 20 win Sonic team.

Tatum genuinely has a shot to end up a true superstar.  We haven't had a true superstar prospect since Bird.  Loved Pierce, but his ceiling wasn't as high as Tatum.  It's exciting.  And most importantly it means Boston could reasonably have their 4th star to pair with Kyrie, Hayward and Horford.   Our only hope of competing with the 4-star Warriors is to have one of our young guys develop into a star as well.   When you also consider the contributions of Brown and Rozier (or moving those guys for Kawhi), it makes our future pretty darn interesting.

That Jeff Green comparison to Jaylen Brown is so lazy and inaccurate. Jaylen Brown is a killer, Jeff Green is food!

Totally agree. Almost nothing like Green.

Agree with LB that Tatum is best prospect since Bird. Maybe Reggie could have approached superstar status one day..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #1263 on: May 06, 2018, 12:43:10 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

It truly is remarkable.  I've been saying all season that I honestly think Tatum is close to as talented as Durant was as a rookie. I  live in Seattle and watched Durant a ton his rookie year (Brown actually reminds me a ton of young Jeff Green back then, but that's a different story).  Durant shot terribly that rookie year.  Like 42% from the field and 29% from three, but he had a green light to shoot as much as he wanted.  I imagine the reps helped his development.

That was the concern with Tatum... that being part of such a loaded roster might stunt his development.  I worried that he wouldn't get the reps and wouldn't get the necessary confidence.  The silver lining of the injuries is that Tatum is now getting an opportunity to be one of the main guys on this team on the big stage.  A huge amount of responsibility has fallen on him.  And the kid is meeting and exceeding expectations.

He's now averaging 18.1 points, 4.7 rebounds, 3 assists, 1.3 steals with 45%/30.7%/82.6% shooting in 10 playoff games.

Compare that to Durant's rookie season where he averaged 20.3 points, 4.4 rebounds, 2.4 asssits, 1 steal with 43%/29%/87% shooting for a 20 win Sonic team.

That Jeff Green comparison to Jaylen Brown is so lazy and inaccurate. Jaylen Brown is a killer, Jeff Green is food!

Agree with LB that Tatum is best prospect since Bird. Maybe Reggie could have approached superstar status one day..
That Brown comment was put there to passively aggressively stir the pot and get a reaction.

Don't feed him......oh, I mean into it.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 08:03:21 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #1264 on: May 06, 2018, 12:44:36 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
The Sixers are whining about the refs in game three? Ho ho ho ho!

"While Embiid owned up to his team's mistakes, he also pointed out that Horford wasn't called for a single foul while guarding him throughout the game.

"I don't see how it's possible for someone to guard me and have zero fouls. I thought a couple plays, it wasn't fair," he said. "But like I said, you gotta give Al a lot of credit. He made some plays for his team, and he got them the win. But like I said, I'm too big. I guess it's the playoffs, it's my first time here, so I'm learning, but I'm too big not to be fouled every time I go to the basket, every time I post up.""

« Reply #1265 on: May 06, 2018, 12:45:25 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

That Brown comment was put there to passively aggressively stir the pot and get a reaction.

It's called a troll. Yes, your right....
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 08:04:08 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #1266 on: May 06, 2018, 12:45:37 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

nah. I’m talking about green during his first couple years in the league.  He looked like he could be really good some day.  Well before he went to Boston and had a heart condition.  I expect brown surpass green.  Second year green was pretty similar to 2nd year brown.

2nd year green:  17 points 7 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal, 45%/39%/79% shooting

2nd year brown:  14 points 5 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 streal, 46%/39%/65% shooting
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 08:04:52 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #1267 on: May 06, 2018, 04:54:08 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
This team leaves me speechless ! I couldn't watch the game last night so instead I was compulsively checking the boxscore at a party, and I thought we were done heading into OT and then when we were done by 1 at the end... but man was I wrong. Brad Stevens is indeed a genius, Al is clutch, and Tatum is unbelievable, I've never seen a rookie with so much poise, it's come to the point where I'm as confident when he gets the ball at the end of the game to make a play like I am when Al has it (or when IT did last year).

It's amazing to think how much better he can get in the next few years and especially in his 2nd season. Glad to see Rozier bring it on the road too. Being up 3-0 is already huge but I think that winning this kind of game on the road can only boost the team's confidence (not that they were lacking in that department to begin with...) and have them win game 4 to end it quickly.

« Reply #1268 on: May 06, 2018, 06:39:07 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

nah. I’m talking about green during his first couple years in the league.  He looked like he could be really good some day.  Well before he went to Boston and had a heart condition.  I expect brown surpass green.  Second year green was pretty similar to 2nd year brown.

Yeah, but second year Green was also playing 7 more mpg than Brown did this year, and it was Jeff Green's peak. I guess you could make the argument that Green almost returned to that level while he was here, but his rebounding and efficiency were both down.

I don't think Brown is near his peak at all. That's what makes the Green comparison a bit lazy
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 08:06:01 AM by nickagneta »
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1269 on: May 06, 2018, 06:49:40 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

You could find almost literally hundreds of NBA players who had similar stats at similar stages of career, at similar heights...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 08:06:40 AM by nickagneta »
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #1270 on: May 06, 2018, 09:17:37 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

LOL, ah yes, the famous LarBrd33 “analysis” of comparing limited stats without context. It’s led to such home dingers as “Jaylen Brown is a tier 3 prospect” and “Okafor is good.”

How many wins did that year 2 Jeff Green team have? Were they a 1 seed?
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #1271 on: May 06, 2018, 09:35:36 AM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
The Sixers are whining about the refs in game three? Ho ho ho ho!

"While Embiid owned up to his team's mistakes, he also pointed out that Horford wasn't called for a single foul while guarding him throughout the game.

"I don't see how it's possible for someone to guard me and have zero fouls. I thought a couple plays, it wasn't fair," he said. "But like I said, you gotta give Al a lot of credit. He made some plays for his team, and he got them the win. But like I said, I'm too big. I guess it's the playoffs, it's my first time here, so I'm learning, but I'm too big not to be fouled every time I go to the basket, every time I post up.""
A spoiled, enabled point of view.  It is much like society today.  This is why it is a pleasure to watch how the Cs play and conduct themselves. 

« Reply #1272 on: May 06, 2018, 10:35:55 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Embiid walks like a crippled praying mantis

Simmons has no shot but a dunk.

Four role players who play no defense

A coach who sat on the bench while the owners tanked away for years......appears to have forgotten how to coach a team to a win ......he is a great loser tho  ::)

yet all the morons think Philly has a better club ...smh

the Raptors and Bucks are better than Philly.

This one was too easy  ;)

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/05/06/10/17/simmons-76ers-crumble-in-loss-to-celtics

« Reply #1273 on: May 06, 2018, 10:46:12 AM »

Offline umpacu

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 28
I know I'm late to the (confetti) party, but I had a friend's birthday and a dinner yesterday, so I couldn't watch the game live. Since I have League Pass I just avoided Twitter, so I didn't know anything about the game, and when I got home at 3 AM I watched the game as it was live.

WHAT.A.GAME!!!! Jayson Tatum was fantastic. I know it has been said a million times already, be he certainly looks like a veteran out there. Yes, he missed 3 free throws, but I think that's more of a freak accident that him being overwhelmed by the moment. Because after that he kept us in the game, scoring clutch baskets and going fearless against Embiid, a candidate to Defensive Player of the Year. Ridiculous.

Al is the perfect team player. He does everything you need to win a game. Baynes is a tough man. And Brad Stevens is on another level. The guy is a wizard.

How can you not love this team?!

On the flip side, I know nothing about basketball. I though Philly would win this series in six. That can't happen now. Oh well...

« Reply #1274 on: May 06, 2018, 11:03:59 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Is it just me or were the Celtics getting hammered yesterday with no calls? I mean Embid crying about no calls? I saw many times Celts getting slaughtered and absolutely no whistles. Philly had a total of 14 fouls in the entire game plus OT? My wife calls me Tommy Heinsohn but cmon man they swallowed the whistles for the Celts.