Author Topic: Glen Davis or Leon Powe?  (Read 10429 times)

Re: Glen Davis or Leon Powe????
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 01:14:54 PM »

Offline cmoney

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 14
people, Powe had a 20 PER and he's already a historically great offensive rebounder, which is a severely underrated commodity.  He's got a 62% true shooting %.  He is an absolute monster. 

Baby is OK and a nice piece to have, but nothing fantastic or anything, and it's very unlikely he ever will be.

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 01:15:36 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
If I had to choose today, I'd keep Baby. He has more potential, and has an excellent grasp of the game.

However, I would prefer to wait until next summer, or at leat the mid season deadline. Baby's "potential/grasp of the game" should translate into him beating out Powe in the big man pecking order. If it doessn't, then you just trade the guy who can get you a bigger return.

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2008, 01:19:18 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
people, Powe had a 20 PER and he's already a historically great offensive rebounder, which is a severely underrated commodity.  He's got a 62% true shooting %.  He is an absolute monster. 

Baby is OK and a nice piece to have, but nothing fantastic or anything, and it's very unlikely he ever will be.

Right now, Powe is the better, more efficient player. But I get the feeling he has reached close to his ceiling. Whereas Baby has more room to grow.

However I want to see that progress by the Feb trade deadline. The question mark on Davis, is 'how hard is he going to work?' He is entering a contract year, he needs to be able to out play Powe. Otherwise all the higher ceiling talk is garbage.

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008, 01:24:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I really like both guys but feel that eventually one will have to go as they are redundant. That said, if Baby can lose some weight and add a bit of vertical in his game while maintaining his lower body strength, he is the guy that will need to be kept since he is a better passer, has better hands, and is physical enough to play at the 5 position as well.

I do believe that the person that decides who the Celtics keep will be Big Baby. If he can't convert his body into some semblance of a professional athlete's(strong men competitiors, sumo wrestlers and offensive linemen aside) body, the C's will send him packing. If he does then I believe they will try to maximize what they get in trade for Powe.

Also, zerophase, I think you are being pretty harsh on Davis, especially on the point where Powe is even a better human being than Davis. Powe is an upstanding guy, but I have never seen anything written that states that Davis is not. I don't think that is very fair to make judgements on Davis' character based on what we have seen of the man publically.

Lastly, Davis had a bunch of high quality games last year and, yes, that Pistons game was one. In fact given the atmosphere in the game and quality of opponent, it could be said that in the year and a half that Powe had been in the league up to that point, he had never had a game as good as that game that Baby had. I would also go so far as to say that the amount of quality games that Baby provided a championship team last year as a tenth player far outnumbered the amount of quality games that Powe provided the 2nd worst team in the league as a tenth player.

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 01:41:20 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
BBD is more skilled and stronger. Powe is more athletic. Both can score from the low post. However, BBD can be a more reliable shooter from 15 ft. Powe seems to be a better rebounder and defensive player. I like them both, but I like BBD more since he is a unique talent.

Powe shot a higher percentage than BBD on jumpers last year.
He also shoots better from the line.
Powe is better at everything right now.

Re: Glen Davis or Leon Powe?
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2008, 01:49:15 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Powe is better at everything that shows up in a box score. Which in the 10 - 15 mins a game they both play doesn't equate to much.  And they both don't shoot enough jumpers to tell which is better but, Davis has much better form.  Powe is going to be Mr. Reliable but, in the end if Davis stays in shape he will be the better all around player.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2008, 01:54:58 PM »

Offline MrsNumba17

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 17
  • I Love NUMBA 17 !
I vote for Powe!
"A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals"
~Larry Bird

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2008, 02:02:12 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
I actually think Powe will continue to get better as he learns NBA D (with experience) and gets more of his explosiveness back - he's only a couple years removed from ACL injury. I see why people like BBD, but Powe's 20 PER placed him in the top 10 PF's in the league. That's sick - get the man 20 minutes a night next year, hopefully all of Posey's PF minutes.

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2008, 02:03:04 PM »

Offline Barnabas

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 11

Agreed.  At this point, Powe could probably start for a lot of teams.  He's got a good inside game, which is something very desirable in a PF.  Lots of forwards can hit from fifteen feet.  Outside shooting from the mid-distance is not as hard to find as the ability to score inside.  I believe Powe is the better player, now and in the future.  BBD seems to have more knowledge of the game, but I believe not by much.  Given enough playing time, Powe should continue to develop.  The only knock against Powe really is that he's not 6'10".

Back to the question.  Powe will bring more trade value.  He's got skills and abilities that another team can make use of, right now.  Unfortunately, those skills and abilities are also valuable to Boston, especially since KG doesn't like to play inside.  KG and Powe seem to play well together.  KG's height and shooting ability seems to help Powe's inside game.  And Powe allows KG to play farther away from the basket because of his inside game.  In short, Powe is more valuable, to Boston and to any potential trade partnet.  Having said that, I would not want to see this player get traded.  Yes, he will most likely find better money elsewhere next year.  But a lot can happen between now and then with the money situation.

I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference to the team whether BBD plays or not.  If there is a beneficial trade available, I say go ahead and send him on.  Let's make room for a legit backup Center.

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2008, 02:58:59 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
 :-\
both
each pf brings something different to the game
early in the season I was really impressed w/ davis and his skill set (still am) but as the season went on Powe really did a great job and one move changed my mind
he did an akeem like spin move to fade away jump shot that showed the foot speed I hadn't seen from him
i like powe filling the lanes on fast breaks, rebounding and playing d
davis is a nice passer with good insticts, rebounding and appears to be a 3rd string center also
if forced I say Powe, big question mark is davis playing condition

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2008, 03:04:51 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
i'm going to make this very clear to everyone on celticsblog. Powe is better in every aspect of his game and character; yes i said it, he's a superior human being.

davis is fat, slow, and i cringe every time he gets his shot blocked. he's not athletic and he has no potential. he's a 7th, 8th man at best. people say he's had great games... WHAT GREAT GAMES? 4th quarter against the pistons in the palace during the regular season? is that what you are referring to? He was getting layups from being left open off of double teams. i highly doubt thats anything to be overly proud of.

powe... am i the only one that saw his game 2 heroics? he slams down viscous dunks and finished strong around the basket. he can become a full time starter one day for a bad team or a 6th man for a good team. this guy has true potential. he has the adequate life story to back up his hard work and his game keeps improving. He's developing a nice midrange last I remember.

I disagree with you on one point. I think Davis has more potential. He has more moves around the basket, a mid-range game, and a dribble.  Remember: he was a rookie last season.

Moreover, in a sense, you're right.  Powe brings a lot more to the table TODAY. Thus I think he would be better to trade, since a team would know they can use him.  In essence: I think Powe has basically reached his potential as an NBA player, but Davis has not reached his.

Granted, Powe has a lot of character and a likeable story. No question about that.

his post moves are worthless once someone starts scouting him. he'd be immediately doubled if he tries to spin or side step and have his shot blocked. basically, he'd be destroyed worse than ak47 in the playoffs last year.

He was a rookie. Powe is not going to get much better than he is right now. Take a flyer on Baby with a higher ceiling.

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2008, 03:16:13 PM »

Offline celticpride07

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 222
powe the show is better than big baby..did you see game 2 of the finals...LEON POWE!!!
Pick 2 Heat: 
Pg: Jennings/Vasquez
Sg: Wade/R. Allen/Rivers
SF: Lebron/M. Williams
PF: Bosh/Humphries
C: B. Lopez/Dalembert/Anthony

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2008, 03:22:08 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Glen Davis has more potential as a player, at least in my opinion.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2008, 03:22:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Since I haven't seen BassThumper recently, I would like to put in his absentee answer:

Powe pimpin'

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2008, 03:32:15 PM »

Offline BillfromBoston

• Author
  • Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
My money has and always will be on Leon...if Glen Davis has shown us  anything its that he is extremely talented, but lacks self-discipline...

There is only so much Davis can do to improve his physical conditioning in one offseason...his body will take years of dedicated work to be able to support his max potential..

Leon Powe is physically 100 percent ready to fulfill his potential, he is already far ahead of Davis production-wise, and for all the talk of Davis' superior skill, the results really aren't there...

Davis is flashy and fun, but Powe gets the job done...if he adds to his already decent face-up jumpshot, he'll be a go-to guy on offense--as he was much of the 2nd half of last year...

Paul Pierce has already stated that he thinks the team can "go to" Leon for points...Perkins says he "scores at will" in practice...i'm not seeing Glen Davis talked about beyond his personality..

My money says Powe is the long-term guy and Davis is moved at the deadline...