Author Topic: Are We Sure Marcus Smart Is Going To Get A Ton In RFA??  (Read 13352 times)

Re: Are We Sure Marcus Smart Is Going To Get A Ton In RFA??
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2017, 10:42:35 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
he won't get a ton of money.  likely something like 12-13 mill per year for 4 years.  he does so much on the court to impact winning despite his shooting.

on a team that used him differently, like strictly within 16 feet of the basket, he'd look a lot better

So who is going to pay that money?  Who is paying a bench player that money?  What team prefers guards who can't stretch the floor?

I'm mystified by this. Yeah, he does some things well. But those aren't the things teams pay big money for.

Unlike recent years when half the league had space, only a handful of teams will in 2018, and Smart will not solve their many problems. Indy, Bulls... will not commit big money to a role player who can't shoot without kneecapping their respective rebuilds. LA won't waste their chance at signing a star.

Smart will be far enough from the front of the free agent line that the money will be gone before he gets a contract, and that is doubly true since he will be restricted. His only option above the mid level is to stay in Boston, and no way Ainge over pays with other, better players (starters) needing to be resigned soon, plus Rozier still here on his cheapo rookie deal.

The big money bonanza is over. Marcus missed the train.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 12:06:56 AM by More Banners »

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2017, 10:50:24 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Before season I felt he was worth about 60 mm over 4 years. Now the market is collapsing, lucky to get $50 mm over 4.

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2017, 12:15:37 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
looking like Stevenson 2.0

needs to really work on producing more offense on demand ......not by accident

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2017, 12:24:00 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
If he gets  deal Close to Evan Turner money, Danny would have to let him walk...

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2017, 12:49:10 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
I think he'll get paid. Weirder things have happened.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2017, 12:59:23 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think he'll get paid. Weirder things have happened.

Of course he will get paid, he's not going to be out of the league.

But with the way he is playing right now, I wouldn't be surprised if he plays for the QO next year. Who is going to pay a better passing, worse shooting, Tony Allen 8 figures?

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2017, 09:47:43 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
Brad is still tinkering with his lineups and I foresee moving Smart into the starting rotation and bringing Brown off the bench as the first substitute. Simply because his need to score on the first unit with Horford and Kyrie will be greatly diminished. Marcus Smart is averaging 10 shots per game, with almost half of those (4.2) being 3-point attempts is a recipe for failure.

If he stays with the second unit, then Brad has to ensure that his attempts come within his skillset... post-ups or drives. Im looking at players excel with limited offensive capabilities, simply because they stay within their abilities... Ben Simmons, Giannis, DWade, young Lebron... there's no reason Smart cannot have similar success

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2017, 10:45:56 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
he won't get a ton of money.  likely something like 12-13 mill per year for 4 years.  he does so much on the court to impact winning despite his shooting.

on a team that used him differently, like strictly within 16 feet of the basket, he'd look a lot better

So who is going to pay that money?  Who is paying a bench player that money?  What team prefers guards who can't stretch the floor?

I'm mystified by this. Yeah, he does some things well. But those aren't the things teams pay big money for.

Unlike recent years when half the league had space, only a handful of teams will in 2018, and Smart will not solve their many problems. Indy, Bulls... will not commit big money to a role player who can't shoot without kneecapping their respective rebuilds. LA won't waste their chance at signing a star.

Smart will be far enough from the front of the free agent line that the money will be gone before he gets a contract, and that is doubly true since he will be restricted. His only option above the mid level is to stay in Boston, and no way Ainge over pays with other, better players (starters) needing to be resigned soon, plus Rozier still here on his cheapo rookie deal.

The big money bonanza is over. Marcus missed the train.
we'll find that out in the offseason won't we.  I'd be stunned if he only gets MLE.  there's a reason he's on the floor at the end of games -- he makes winning plays and this league is all about winning.

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2017, 10:57:36 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Brad is still tinkering with his lineups and I foresee moving Smart into the starting rotation and bringing Brown off the bench as the first substitute. Simply because his need to score on the first unit with Horford and Kyrie will be greatly diminished. Marcus Smart is averaging 10 shots per game, with almost half of those (4.2) being 3-point attempts is a recipe for failure.

If he stays with the second unit, then Brad has to ensure that his attempts come within his skillset... post-ups or drives. Im looking at players excel with limited offensive capabilities, simply because they stay within their abilities... Ben Simmons, Giannis, DWade, young Lebron... there's no reason Smart cannot have similar success

Brad is not going to bring our 2nd best player, who also happens to only be a month into his 2nd season, off the bench. Even though it didn't have the desired effect last night, Morris seems to be the obvious choice to lead the scoring in the 2nd unit. Hopefully Rozier can go back to operating as an off-ball spot up shooter with Marcus doing all of the half-court playmaking.

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2017, 11:10:23 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
No, he won't guys here always overestimate our value.   Some guys thought Sully would get 12 million a year and Olynyk 20 so fans here usually overestimate our guys value because they grow attached to them.

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2017, 11:38:46 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
He won't get Olynyk money. Olynyk is a stretch 4 that scores efficiently and plays decent team defense. That's valuable in today's game. A defensive minded combo guard that can't shoot can found much more easily. MLE is all he is worth in today's offensive minded game.

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2017, 12:06:30 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
He won't get Olynyk money. Olynyk is a stretch 4 that scores efficiently and plays decent team defense. That's valuable in today's game. A defensive minded combo guard that can't shoot can found much more easily. MLE is all he is worth in today's offensive minded game.
This is where I see him also. The max he gets from the Celtics is 3/27 with the third year a team option. He has earned rotation minutes because of effort, defense and ball handling. He is not a reliable enough scorer to warrant bigger money.

Terry Rozier may take his job as second unit playmaker  next year if we don't re sign him.

Bigger question is who do we keep between him and Baynes if it comes to that? They may both be in the same salary range.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2017, 12:50:39 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
maybe we can keep him w/Bird Rights on a 4 year deal worth less than 16M/year

This is the lowest you think Smart will get paid? I have always thought he would be lucky to get a $40m/4 yrs...maybe, possibly, crazily $48m/4 yrs. I love Smart, but he has like the opposite of an offensive game.

Hey, if we can keep Smart at 4/48M, I'd be ecstatic!

But with Olynyk at 4/50M, I feel Smart will likely get 4/60M as "benchmark".

You have to look at a guy like Roberson but then add value for both youth and the fact that Smart is a capable PG with size who can make plays for others, versus being buried in the corner.

Roberson is making $10M a year.  Smart will easily get $15M.

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2017, 12:58:48 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
the rate he is shooting I doubt that he cracks the 10m mark

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2017, 01:13:26 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
This is where I see him also. The max he gets from the Celtics is 3/27 with the third year a team option. He has earned rotation minutes because of effort, defense and ball handling. He is not a reliable enough scorer to warrant bigger money.

Terry Rozier may take his job as second unit playmaker  next year if we don't re sign him.

Bigger question is who do we keep between him and Baynes if it comes to that? They may both be in the same salary range.

we already offered him well over 9 , granted his stats have fallen though