Author Topic: Report: Butler would immediately sign max with Lakers if offered  (Read 4292 times)

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I know these reports are all over the place, so who knows if this is true, but I will say this is said than a lot more conviction than every other free agency rumor with the possible exception of a report claiming Durant to Knicks was done.

https://clutchpoints.com/lakers-rumors-jimmy-butler-likes-la-and-will-sign-with-them-instantly-if-offered-a-max-contract/

Re: Report: Butler would immediately sign max with Lakers if offered
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 01:02:54 PM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
I think of all the free agents Butler would be the one I would care least about signing with the lakers (maybe Cousins but I'm talking max guys and I don't think Cousins gets that next year).

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 01:03:00 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
That would be great for us. Would love to see that Butler trade blow up in Philly's face.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 01:12:27 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Again, if this is true, does it give anyone more pause about trading for Davis? I feel like Philly did everything right around Butler and the city really embraced him, and they had a decent-ish playoff run. If he just immediately signs with another team, it makes you think the risk is so high with these guys on expiring contracts.

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 01:18:27 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Again, if this is true, does it give anyone more pause about trading for Davis? I feel like Philly did everything right around Butler and the city really embraced him, and they had a decent-ish playoff run. If he just immediately signs with another team, it makes you think the risk is so high with these guys on expiring contracts.

I mean, Butler hasn't been happy at any of his last three spots. He wanted out of all of them. I think playing with Simmons and Embiid is difficult for him too.

But sure, let's get AD for less because he can leave after a year. I'm all for a discounted AD.

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 01:21:21 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

I mean, Butler hasn't been happy at any of his last three spots. He wanted out of all of them. I think playing with Simmons and Embiid is difficult for him too.

But sure, let's get AD for less because he can leave after a year. I'm all for a discounted AD.

Butler is a very good player but Davis is top three in the league. You have to take a swing at top 3 in the league just ask the Raptors.

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 01:40:34 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

Butler is a very good player but Davis is top three in the league. You have to take a swing at top 3 in the league just ask the Raptors.

I dont think Davis is top 3.

Kawhi is, Kawhi can take and elevate players around him through control and dominance on both ends without needing anyone to get him the ball.

I dont think Davis is capable of having that same level of impact because he is a bigman.

Put Kawhi on any of the teams that Davis has had, instead of davis, and that team is better.

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 01:41:07 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I always thought he be playing at New York or with either Lakers or Clippers
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 01:47:53 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
no real surprise IMO

I think Lakers end with Butler and Cousins.

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 01:48:28 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Kawhi is, Kawhi can take and elevate players around him through control and dominance on both ends without needing anyone to get him the ball.

I dont think Davis is capable of having that same level of impact because he is a bigman.

Put Kawhi on any of the teams that Davis has had, instead of davis, and that team is better.

In today's nba Kawhi's ballhandling ability and 3pt shooting put him ahead. But it's not like AD is a pretender. He's a legit top guy. Not even sure AD's seen his prime yet, while Kawhi is already there.

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 02:28:58 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I mean, not to take anything away from Kawhi, but the Raptors actually won 1 additional game last year over this year. I understand that this isn't taking into consideration the playoffs, but Siakam has made huge contributions this year and Kyle Lowry isn't totally laying an egg like he always seems to do.

The problem with the Raptors has always been Lebron James; I imagine they also would have been very competitive this year if they had never made the trade.

So I guess what I am saying is that I don't think Kawhi is any better than AD. If I could only choose one player for the Cs moving forward, it would definitely be AD.

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 02:32:05 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
As for this report - it would be like a dream come true for Cs fans. Not only would Philly lose their prized All-Star FA for nothing, but the Lakers would be using up substantial long-term cap space to make the signing...meaning, if we traded for AD, the Lakers might not even be an option for him next off-season.

My biggest worry with an AD trade was with that the Lakers were going to go big with 1-year contracts. That wouldn't happen with the signing of Butler.

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2019, 02:41:57 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
As for this report - it would be like a dream come true for Cs fans. Not only would Philly lose their prized All-Star FA for nothing, but the Lakers would be using up substantial long-term cap space to make the signing...meaning, if we traded for AD, the Lakers might not even be an option for him next off-season.

My biggest worry with an AD trade was with that the Lakers were going to go big with 1-year contracts. That wouldn't happen with the signing of Butler.

Yea this would really be good for those two reasons. We obviously have our own house to worry about, but would definitely be good.

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2019, 03:01:39 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Plus a 35 year old Lebron James and maxed out 30+ year old Butler isn't too much of a threat for championships going forward the next few years. So that's good.

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2019, 03:06:08 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

I mean, not to take anything away from Kawhi, but the Raptors actually won 1 additional game last year over this year. I understand that this isn't taking into consideration the playoffs, but Siakam has made huge contributions this year and Kyle Lowry isn't totally laying an egg like he always seems to do.

The problem with the Raptors has always been Lebron James; I imagine they also would have been very competitive this year if they had never made the trade.

So I guess what I am saying is that I don't think Kawhi is any better than AD. If I could only choose one player for the Cs moving forward, it would definitely be AD.
I think a lot of people agree with you.

I happen to think that's crazy.  Kawhi has never been on a team that didn't make the playoffs... AD has only been on teams above .500 twice in his career.

Kahwi has won a championship, has been finals MVP, is a 2x Defensive player of the year, has been All-NBA 3x and all-defense 5x.   

I know it's the current rage on these boards to be all-in on AD (just as it was once all the rage to be all-in on Boogie Cousins) but there's a big BIG difference between being the best guy on a bad team and the best guy on a Championship contender.