Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 366869 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #1770 on: January 18, 2019, 09:13:03 PM »

Offline 10610786d

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
I think that we already knew this

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ben-simmons-cant-shoot-a-3-and-good-teams-know-it/?yptr=yahoo?src=rss

It's funny, because every time Simmons hits a long jumper or even a 3, people focus on the make, but I'm intrigued at the fact that he's literally WIDE OPEN when he takes those shots. I mean like literally, no one is 15 feet away from him even. And if he hits it, it doesn't matter, the defense continues to ignore him unless if he drives into the paint. The reality is, a big reason PHI struggles in close games against great teams is because Simmons is a liability on offense and yes, other teams know it.

their 7 ft tall Marcus Smart .

If Simmons could achieve Smart's outside shooting numbers he would be an MVP candidate. He's not even close to Smart's level, sadly.

Hey, Smart is a good shooter this season.

Even if Simmons could shoot it like Marcus from last year he'd be good.

« Reply #1771 on: January 18, 2019, 09:21:09 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I think that we already knew this

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ben-simmons-cant-shoot-a-3-and-good-teams-know-it/?yptr=yahoo?src=rss

It's funny, because every time Simmons hits a long jumper or even a 3, people focus on the make, but I'm intrigued at the fact that he's literally WIDE OPEN when he takes those shots. I mean like literally, no one is 15 feet away from him even. And if he hits it, it doesn't matter, the defense continues to ignore him unless if he drives into the paint. The reality is, a big reason PHI struggles in close games against great teams is because Simmons is a liability on offense and yes, other teams know it.
Wait, this hasn't happened yet has it?

Nope.  0-11 regular season, 0-1 playoffs. I'm not even sure how many "real" (meaning chosen and not an end-of-quarter or shot clock heave) attempts he has.  His shot chart shows only 4 from inside half-court and only one that wasn't at a quarter buzzer.

Yep, and it's funny because recently in the Pacers game, Simmons technically "missed a 3" but it was a garbage alley-oop attempt that Embiid wasn't expecting and it just hit the back board to the left of the rim LOL  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And yeah when we played the Sixers on Christmas Day, they showed Simmons shot chart and he was like 5-26 outside the paint total. Just 5-26. And when he did hit a jumper (where he was left open also), literally the entire TD Garden crowd went "oooooo", surprised it went it  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1772 on: January 19, 2019, 07:02:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If you saw the end of the OKC-Philly game then you got a prime example of why Ben Simmons lack of an outside shot seriously holds him back from being a true super duper star.

George just finished his and-1, 4 point play putting OKC up by 2 points with 5 seconds left in the game, Philly with no timeouts. So Philly inbounds to Simmons who dribbles across half court and sees OKC playing out at the 3 point line. Simmons then slows down and starts searching for a team mate in panic as he realizes there is no way he will be able to get past OKC to get to their hoop in time to score so someone is going to need to take an outside shot.

Simmons quickly dished to Jimmy Butler who was a whole 5 feet away from him, still some 27-29 feet from the basket, with defenders draped all over Butler. With 2 defenders in Butler's face, including Simmons' man since Simmons just decided to stand next to Butler after passing to Butler, Butler heaved it in a hurry and missed as the game ends.

Simmons clearly knew there was no way he should have had the ball in his hands at that point because if it came down to needing to take and make a long outside shot, then Philly would lose because he won't make them.

The biggest moment of the game came and Simmons shrunk, looking in desperation for someone to take the ball from him and take the big shot.

Superstars don't run from the biggest moment in the game. They relish having the opportunity to take that shot and win the game. Simmons did everything he could to avoid having to take that shot.

Why? Because he won't even attempt to take 3 pointers. Why? Because if he tries to drive and is fouled, he is just a 56% free throw shooter? Why? Because he shoots it at a FG% of just 8% from anything from 16 feet out. Why? Because he shoots it at just 26-29% from beyond 10 feet.

And he knows this.

« Reply #1773 on: January 19, 2019, 09:57:13 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Per Woj:  Fultz is back with the Sixers to continue his rehab.  No timetable but expected to return this season.  If the thoracic outlet syndrome is correct, I'm still physical therapy would resolve the issue and would expect he'd need to get surgery at some point. 

« Reply #1774 on: January 20, 2019, 12:56:03 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
If you saw the end of the OKC-Philly game then you got a prime example of why Ben Simmons lack of an outside shot seriously holds him back from being a true super duper star.

George just finished his and-1, 4 point play putting OKC up by 2 points with 5 seconds left in the game, Philly with no timeouts. So Philly inbounds to Simmons who dribbles across half court and sees OKC playing out at the 3 point line. Simmons then slows down and starts searching for a team mate in panic as he realizes there is no way he will be able to get past OKC to get to their hoop in time to score so someone is going to need to take an outside shot.

Simmons quickly dished to Jimmy Butler who was a whole 5 feet away from him, still some 27-29 feet from the basket, with defenders draped all over Butler. With 2 defenders in Butler's face, including Simmons' man since Simmons just decided to stand next to Butler after passing to Butler, Butler heaved it in a hurry and missed as the game ends.

Simmons clearly knew there was no way he should have had the ball in his hands at that point because if it came down to needing to take and make a long outside shot, then Philly would lose because he won't make them.

The biggest moment of the game came and Simmons shrunk, looking in desperation for someone to take the ball from him and take the big shot.

Superstars don't run from the biggest moment in the game. They relish having the opportunity to take that shot and win the game. Simmons did everything he could to avoid having to take that shot.

Why? Because he won't even attempt to take 3 pointers. Why? Because if he tries to drive and is fouled, he is just a 56% free throw shooter? Why? Because he shoots it at a FG% of just 8% from anything from 16 feet out. Why? Because he shoots it at just 26-29% from beyond 10 feet.

And he knows this.
Well said Nick. Tp I wish all on this thread arguing about how great he is would watch that last play

« Reply #1775 on: January 20, 2019, 12:56:35 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Per Woj:  Fultz is back with the Sixers to continue his rehab.  No timetable but expected to return this season.  If the thoracic outlet syndrome is correct, I'm still physical therapy would resolve the issue and would expect he'd need to get surgery at some point.

Have they confirmed whether it is his brain?

« Reply #1776 on: January 20, 2019, 11:05:43 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Oh yeah. Forgot about him.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #1777 on: January 22, 2019, 06:06:17 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Per Justin Kubatko tweet:

Joel Embiid is just the fifth player since the ABA-NBA merger to record at least twenty 30-point, 10-rebound games before the All-Star Game. The others are Moses Malone, Karl Malone (2x), Russell Westbrook, and Anthony Davis.

With all the dominant big men of the past, I'm surprised there are so few on the list.  No Shaq, KG, Duncan, ...

« Reply #1778 on: January 22, 2019, 06:58:40 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Joel Embiid is just the fifth player since the ABA-NBA merger to record at least twenty 30-point, 10-rebound games before the All-Star Game. The others are Moses Malone, Karl Malone (2x), Russell Westbrook, and Anthony Davis.

With all the dominant big men of the past, I'm surprised there are so few on the list.  No Shaq, KG, Duncan, ...

Those three all have championship rings though. Embiid, Karl Malone, Westbrook, and AD don't.

It takes being on a team that relies too heavily on one guy to get those kind of stats 20 times before the all-star break.

« Reply #1779 on: January 22, 2019, 08:48:25 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Those three all have championship rings though. Embiid, Karl Malone, Westbrook, and AD don't.

It takes being on a team that relies too heavily on one guy to get those kind of stats 20 times before the all-star break.
I don't think that really means much.  There are plenty of teams that rely heavily on one guy.  KG was the Sun, Moon and Stars to Minnesota and he didn't do it once. 
Shaq was absolutely dominant with the Magic and Lakers with 5 seasons above 28pts/10rebs and he didn't do it once. 

Moses Malone did win a championship.  Karl Malone didn't win a championship but he made the finals twice losing to Jordan.  Embiid and AD are both 25 so assuming health they have plenty of time to win a championship.  Embiid is just on his 3rd season and hasn't played 150 regular season games yet.   Westbrook is just a triple double seeking knuckled head.   Looks like AD has 16 30/10 games so far this season so he could do it again.

« Reply #1780 on: January 22, 2019, 08:58:21 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

I agree with this and was thinking along these lines before I got to your post.  Some of the guys that have done it are stat chasers also.  KG and Duncan didn’t care much about stats.  Duncan would save a lot of his monster games for the playoffs.  Shaq could have gotten 30 and 10 when he wanted to but he didn’t always want to and he would let Kobe take the lead in a lot of games.

« Reply #1781 on: January 23, 2019, 02:28:33 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

I agree with this and was thinking along these lines before I got to your post.  Some of the guys that have done it are stat chasers also.  KG and Duncan didn’t care much about stats.  Duncan would save a lot of his monster games for the playoffs.  Shaq could have gotten 30 and 10 when he wanted to but he didn’t always want to and he would let Kobe take the lead in a lot of games.
The only guys who have done it are Moses Malone, Karl Malone, Anthony Davis, Westbrook and Embiid.  The only stat chaser is Westbrook.  Shaq let Kobe take the lead?  If that were the case, Shaq wouldn't have gotten traded.  The reason Shaq probably didn't do it is because of his poor free throw shooting. 

« Reply #1782 on: January 23, 2019, 03:01:56 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

The only guys who have done it are Moses Malone, Karl Malone, Anthony Davis, Westbrook and Embiid.  The only stat chaser is Westbrook.  Shaq let Kobe take the lead?  If that were the case, Shaq wouldn't have gotten traded.  The reason Shaq probably didn't do it is because of his poor free throw shooting.
Suboptimal conditioning too, to say the least.
He missed a lot of games.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 04:17:39 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #1783 on: January 23, 2019, 07:09:00 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Shaq certainly wasn't a type A personality.  He could have been far greater if he had been.  He could have played in more games and played at his best more often if he was.

« Reply #1784 on: January 23, 2019, 07:21:18 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Shaq certainly wasn't a type A personality.  He could have been far greater if he had been.  He could have played in more games and played at his best more often if he was.
Yes, I also always thought he would do much better if he didn't put those extra 50 lbs in LA.
Fewer injuries, better conditioning, better lateral speed.
Sure his overpowering dunks and beep, beep, beep post-ups were spectacular, but he was still the strongest man even at Orlando Shaq size.
He would just be faster and less injured.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."