Author Topic: Aaron gordon  (Read 14413 times)

Aaron gordon
« on: May 30, 2014, 07:29:04 PM »

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
I wasn't sure bout him because his offense was not that good but I can see in his workout video he has been working hard and looks to be improving. Curious what others though about him as a potential pick.
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

Re: Aaron gordon
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 07:31:42 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
There are so many Aaron Gordon threads, if you browse around you will probably find a bunch of different opinions.

I think it's 50/50 on here, regarding Gordon.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 07:40:38 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Bunch of people are in love with this kid on here, I personally don't see it. Looks like a life time energy guy off the bench that can't be trusted at the free throw line so can not be on the court at the end of games.

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 07:49:35 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I like him, but not at #6. It seems like the ceiling is Shawn Marion, who was a unique and very good player, but #6 in a loaded draft for a guy with a small chance of being Marion? About 5 spots too high IMO.

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 08:34:05 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
polls on this board show gordon is by far the favorite of c fans for the 6th pick, include me among them. I started a thread about him several months ago after I watched him play in a game on tv, and have been an advocate ever since.  I think he'll end up being better than at least one of the top 4 guys that are picked. Maybe two.

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 08:51:49 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
U see stevenson struggling to deal with lebrons explosiveness tonight?

Gordon will do a much better job shadowing him. One of the best defenders from this draft

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 08:54:30 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I like Gordon a lot and hope the Celtics draft him if they don't trade the pick.  He has an incredible motor, he's a superior athlete, and he has a high basketball IQ.  In the games I watched him play, he was constantly impacting the game.  Even if he doesn't improve his shooting much, I think he'll be an elite defender and glue guy.  If he can improve his shooting, he'll be awesome.  I know that's a big if, but he's the youngest guy in the draft who has his head on straight and supposedly has an excellent work ethic.  He's similar to Michael Kidd Gilchrist which I'm sure doesn't inspire many people, but Gordon is two inches taller, a much better athlete, and shot 35.5% from three vs. Gilchrist's 25.5%.  His free shooting was horrible, but should be correctable.

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 09:08:23 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Count me in the pro-Gordon camp. I'd definitely take him over Randle or Vonleh. Just seems very intelligent and says all the right things.

Torn between Gordon and Smart for #6 now.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 09:09:26 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I wasn't sure bout him because his offense was not that good but I can see in his workout video he has been working hard and looks to be improving. Curious what others though about him as a potential pick.
Haven't seen many, if any, players become good offensive players who were awful coming into the NBA. Gordon's improving in drills, but it's not the same as shooting in games (although i'd be surprised if he didn't improve some on his FT shooting). I won't die if we take Gordon, but I'd take Vonleh, Smart, or even Randle before him.

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 09:19:21 PM »

Offline NorthernLightning

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • zap
Haven't seen many, if any, players become good offensive players who were awful coming into the NBA. Gordon's improving in drills, but it's not the same as shooting in games (although i'd be surprised if he didn't improve some on his FT shooting). I won't die if we take Gordon, but I'd take Vonleh, Smart, or even Randle before him.

What were his FG and 3pt %s?

ORLY?

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 09:31:37 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I wouldn't get my hopes up....DA doesn't tend to keep these picks.

If he does Gordon is one of the best choices left to choose from

I trust Gordon to be better than Exum

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 10:51:40 PM »

Offline tomrod

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 26
Here's hoping Utah doesn't take him. He's just a good kid that would fit there. I like him a lot too, more than the other guys we could pick. He would be perfect por us imo.

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 10:59:13 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

What were his FG and 3pt %s?

ORLY?
He's not going to get with anywhere near the number of transition baskets he did in college which got his numbers up to 49.5% He shot 35.6% from 3, 29% on jumpers (10 of 34 per DraftExpress), and 42.2% from the free throw line. He had 0.55 points per possession (PPP) on the block which is brutal, so he has no low post game. If Gordon goes near the basket in the NBA, he's going to get fouled since his FT% equates to 0.84 PPP. which sucks.

If he doesn't improve from what he's done, then he's a bust.  I believe it's likely he will improve, but I strongly doubt he'll ever be a good offensive player.  I haven't seen stats like his improve to be superior.  You're drafting him to be a talented multi-position defender/rebounder whose offensive ceiling is mediocrity.

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 11:02:23 PM »

Offline NorthernLightning

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • zap
You're drafting him to be a superior multi-position defender/rebounder whose offensive ceiling is mediocrity.

ORLY? You forgot to mention that he's too darn old to take with a first rounder.

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2014, 12:38:44 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
I like him, but not at #6. It seems like the ceiling is Shawn Marion, who was a unique and very good player, but #6 in a loaded draft for a guy with a small chance of being Marion? About 5 spots too high IMO.

It seems to me like once a comp or a label gets stuck on someone, it gets way too hard not to keep seeing it. Wouldn't it change the conversation if we all thought of him as a taller Kawhi Leonard with a better three point shot?