Author Topic: Shams: Monroe to C’s on 10-day contract  (Read 12611 times)

Re: Shams: Monroe to C’s on 10-day contract
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2019, 08:05:23 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Best guess is that the C's are going to sign Monroe to back to back 10 day contracts and then maybe...possibly...sign him to a non guaranteed 5,337,000 (or slightly less) tax payer MLE contract on the last day of the regular season (April 10th) in order to use his salary if needed this summer in trade for Davis or possibly someone else even.  Need that extra body in the playoffs of course also but I would think the contract is of more importance to match salaries this off season.

The contract angle is interesting. If they use the MLE to sign him and then use his salary in a trade, does that mean they lose the MLE for the year? That would limit their options for filling out the team if they make the AD trade.

Re his usefulness as a player, I think people are forgetting that he was totally unplayable during last year’s playoffs. Painfully slow and turnover prone. There is a reason he’s available now - teams keep waiving him.

Celts will lose the MLE for this year, not next year.

After the trade deadline expired last February, it was reported the Celts will sign a player using the MLE and a duration of 2 years.

By doing that, Celts will be able to keep Smart and Horford.
They no longer have to be included in the AD deal to make salaries match.

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2019, 08:25:21 AM »

Online The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
Best guess is that the C's are going to sign Monroe to back to back 10 day contracts and then maybe...possibly...sign him to a non guaranteed 5,337,000 (or slightly less) tax payer MLE contract on the last day of the regular season (April 10th) in order to use his salary if needed this summer in trade for Davis or possibly someone else even.  Need that extra body in the playoffs of course also but I would think the contract is of more importance to match salaries this off season.

The contract angle is interesting. If they use the MLE to sign him and then use his salary in a trade, does that mean they lose the MLE for the year? That would limit their options for filling out the team if they make the AD trade.

Re his usefulness as a player, I think people are forgetting that he was totally unplayable during last year’s playoffs. Painfully slow and turnover prone. There is a reason he’s available now - teams keep waiving him.

I have been a staunch no on Monroe as a player for a long time, long before he ever became a Celtic.  The thing is that the C's could use a big body to eat minutes in case of a Baynes injury and you aren't going to get a good or truly useful player to agree to the contract that the C's are likely to offer.

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2019, 08:55:01 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Not a bad pickup last-minute to help our front court. The contract thing is important. Far better than the Thomas Robinson option IMO. This doesn't have to inhibit Williams minutes either. A stop gap when needed like tonight but also a contract to trade end of season.

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2019, 09:20:47 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Steve Bulpett: Per league source, Celtics don’t have anything finalized or completely decided yet on 10-day deal with Greg Monroe. Being told the sides will talk Saturday, and he will get a physical. He certainly makes sense, with Baynes’ injury issues this season leaving Celts short on bulk. – via Twitter SteveBHoop

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2019, 09:33:49 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Hey at least he knows the Raptors sets, right? 🤷🏾‍♂️

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2019, 10:11:12 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
Hey at least he knows the Raptors sets, right? ‍♂️

This is what I mean about Danny though, man. Makes absolutely no sense. Rob should be getting as many minutes as possible right now, so they sign a guy that was proven worthless to us.

Danny will never understand certain things and neither will Brad.

And if you look at it, they have NEVER developed any talent they drafted because of that ridiculous revolving door Danny creates.

He really does remind me of Pitino, and to a much worse level Jerry Krauss. Doing all kinds of idiotic things to prove he's so clever over and over.

Uuuugh...

Does it really matter if Rob loses his man a few times that they can't play him at all?  Absolutely not.

Brad and Danny needs to go

But yet they'll stick with a stiff like young and Mickey for years...which really didn't matter because they hardly got on the floor anyway.

Both those guys are young talent killers...no wonder Jackson told them to kick rocks.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 10:16:36 AM by Triplenickle »

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2019, 10:20:29 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

This is what I mean about Danny though, man. Makes absolutely no sense. Rob should be getting as many minutes as possible right now, so they sign a guy that was proven worthless to us.

And if you look at it, they have NEVER developed any talent they drafted because of that ridiculous revolving door Danny creates.

He really does remind me of Pitino, and to a much worse level Jerry Krauss. Doing all kinds of idiotic things to prove he's so clever over and over.

Uuuugh...

Does it really matter if Rob loses his man a few times that they can't play him at all?  Absolutely not.

But yet they'll stick with a stiff like young and Mickey for years...which really didn't matter because they hardly got on the floor anyway.

Both those guys are young talent killers...no wonder Jackson told them to kick rocks.

Really reminds you of Pitino?

And another Cblogger with terrible hot takes and incessant complaining for 100...
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2019, 10:22:36 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
Robert Williams is not ready to give meaningful mins. anyone thinking otherwise is lying to themselves. with that said greg Monroe is not the answer, he's not a center either for that matter.

so let's put it this way, if there comes a time from here on out if Williams or Monroe are asked to play significant mins. we're done. 

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2019, 10:26:07 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
And does Brad even have a defensive coach? Does he even have a staff this season?

Something is really really wrong this year.

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2019, 10:34:50 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
Robert Williams is not ready to give meaningful mins. anyone thinking otherwise is lying to themselves. with that said greg Monroe is not the answer, he's not a center either for that matter.

so let's put it this way, if there comes a time from here on out if Williams or Monroe are asked to play significant mins. we're done.

I'm sorry, I just don't agree. Any rookie is gonna make plenty mistakes, so the more playing time they get, the faster those mistakes disappear.

He doesn't get burned any worse than their starters, man. The whole team is getting burned all year and making dumb mistakes. I could see if this was the 86 Celts, but they're far from that.

Let the dude take his lumps and be done with it. No matter when he gets playing time he's gonna have to go through that anyway.

And if you take that bone-headed defensive scheme away, he wouldn't be having that problem in the first place...or all their bigs for that matter.

I don't even know why they got a big...they don't have a clue what to do with them.

They even make Al look worthless most the time.

And look...a coach can't just preach to you...you have to be on the floor with the best to know what your own weaknesses are and to work on them.

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2019, 10:36:56 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Uuuugh...

Laughable. RWill is way too raw to be getting minutes.

Monroe gave us 10/6 last season. I love Rob, but he isn't even close to that.

Has Smart not developed at all? Has Brown? Has Rozier? What about AB? Or do those guys not exist?

The emboldened is especially ridiculous. "Does it matter if Rob costs us points while he's on the floor?" is essentially what you're saying, considering what our defence is based on.

Man, so much ridiculousness in one post.

And does Brad even have a defensive coach? Does he even have a staff this season?

Do you even watch the games? You can see the five assistants Brad has on the bench at all times.
https://www.nba.com/celtics/roster/coaches
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2019, 10:43:57 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford

Uuuugh...

And another Cblogger with terrible hot takes and incessant complaining for 100...

I'm just tired of those 2 guys right now...one with his revolving door and the other with his bone-headed non effective defensive scheme.

Danny does remind me of the GM Pitino, and Brad reminds me of the coach Pitino.

They both need to go like Pitino.  Sorry to disrupt the great season you're having.

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2019, 10:49:25 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford

Uuuugh...

Has Smart not developed at all? Has Brown? Has Rozier? What about AB? Or do those guys not exist?

The emboldened is especially ridiculous. "Does it matter if Rob costs us points while he's on the floor?" is essentially what you're saying, considering what our defence is based on.

Do you even watch the games? You can see the five assistants Brad has on the bench at all times.

No...I HAVE STOPPED WATCHING THIS TEAM.

It's also funny Rob gets less effective the more time he has under these dudes.

It's whatever though...sooner or later yall will see the obvious.

It's inevitable.

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2019, 10:59:01 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Uuuugh...

I'm just tired of those 2 guys right now...one with his revolving door and the other with his bone-headed non effective defensive scheme.

Danny does remind me of the GM Pitino, and Brad reminds me of the coach Pitino.

They both need to go like Pitino.  Sorry to disrupt the great season you're having.

We're ranked 5th in defensive rating in the league.

We have a surplus of assets and young stars in the Jay Team, our young coach's only blemish this year is that he has been too in love with certain rotations, and been terrible at calling timeouts/making adjusted defensive assignments.

I would like you to look at yourself in the mirror while turning on any Pitino's highlights and determine for yourself whether or not Pitino is 'worse,' or even comparable to Danny Ainge......

Uuuugh...

No...I HAVE STOPPED WATCHING THIS TEAM.

It's also funny Rob gets less effective the more time he has under these dudes.

It's whatever though...sooner or later yall will see the obvious.

It's inevitable.

What does a rookie center have to do with anything?

What is he, Jesus? Going to block every shot into oblivion and lead us to the championship?

Get real dude, life and basketball, especially doesn't work because you can wave a magic wand, and any problems/chemistry issues will suddenly just disappear into thin air.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2019, 11:04:39 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Totally agree that seeing Williams or Monroe on the court is a very bad sign. That said, I’d rather see Williams than Monroe - at least there’s a chance he’ll learn something useful to his development. Monroe is nearing the end of his NBA career and will never be a useful player for the Cs.