Author Topic: Mo Williams to Cleveland?  (Read 5157 times)

Mo Williams to Cleveland?
« on: August 11, 2008, 03:04:05 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
So I read somewhere that Cleveland is interested in Mo Williams.  I think this would actually be a great pickup for them, because he is a very good scoring "combo guard" who has some PG skills, but really excelled when he was able to share time as the primary ballhandler.  With the expiring contract of Wally, the Cavs have what it takes to make this happen, so I was wondering whether anyone thinks it possible that they could put together a deal along the lines of:

Wally and a 2nd rounder for Mo Williams and Charlie Villanueva

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=831~2792~2178&teams=15~5~5&te=&cash=
Cleveland gets an upgrade in talent at both PG and backup PF, and Milwaukee gets a bad contract off their books.

Re: Mo Williams to Cleveland?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 03:11:36 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
So I read somewhere that Cleveland is interested in Mo Williams.  I think this would actually be a great pickup for them, because he is a very good scoring "combo guard" who has some PG skills, but really excelled when he was able to share time as the primary ballhandler.  With the expiring contract of Wally, the Cavs have what it takes to make this happen, so I was wondering whether anyone thinks it possible that they could put together a deal along the lines of:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=831~2792~2178&teams=15~5~5&te=&cash=
Cleveland gets an upgrade in talent at both PG and backup PF, and Milwaukee gets a bad contract off their books.

It's a good idea, but I don't know how Milwaukee feels about a Sessions/Lue PG combo. Plus, they will probably keep Williams now that they think they have a chance to win with RJ. And they're very thin upfront if they get rid of Charlie V.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 03:16:53 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

I think I'd be pretty p---ed at the Bucks GM for a move like that.  The Cavs gave us the most trouble in the playoffs.  A move like that wouldn't make things any easier.

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 03:20:47 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

It's a good idea, but I don't know how Milwaukee feels about a Sessions/Lue PG combo. Plus, they will probably keep Williams now that they think they have a chance to win with RJ. And they're very thin upfront if they get rid of Charlie V.

Well, they are supposedly really high on Sessions, and they also have Bell as another option.  I think they are going to be trying to get rid of Williams no matter what, since they supposedly want Sessions to play.  The only question is whether they can get more for him than an expiring contract.

But I have more confidence that they could then turn Wally's contract into a valuable piece than Cleveland could, so it might be worth getting Wally for that.

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 03:21:57 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I think I'd be pretty ****ed at the Bucks GM for a move like that.  The Cavs gave us the most trouble in the playoffs.  A move like that wouldn't make things any easier.

I would too...although with the expiring contracts they have, the Cavs could concievably bring in a better piece than that.  I just don't see them doing it.

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 03:35:10 PM »

Offline GaBerkowitz

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 37
I think Mo Williams would be a great pick up for Cleveland.  Clearly LeBron is an immensley talented individual.  But after watching the Celts all year Basketball is a game where the sum of the parts is greater than any one individual.  I feel like LeBron is kind of a difficult player to figure out what complementary parts will excel next to him.  I kept on thinking it was a shooter/combo guard.  ball handling isn't as much of an issue as LeBron can do a lot of that.

While Mo will never shoot a high percentage, he can score in buckets and is definitely an interesting guard to start next to Bron Bron.  If they got Mo Williams and Villanueva that would a be a steal

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 03:40:30 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5

LOL. RJ doesn't give them much of a chance to win. I'm always inclined to gripe about the TMac, Steve Francis, Marbury types out there that are simply overrated in terms of contributing to a team's overall success. And while RJ isn't considered a top tier superstar (rightfully so), he's perhaps more overrated than these other guys ever have been. I don't care what his stat sheets say, I've never seen a guy play 35-40 minutes and be a bigger non-factor in the outcome of a game than Richard Jefferson. If Milwaukee makes the playoffs this year, I'll be surprised. And if they do, it won't be because Richard Jefferson carried them.

...Sorry. A little off topic. But I just couldn't help myself.

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 03:46:55 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
If they do get Mo Williams I would think that there's no chance that D West signs with Cleveland?

Don't see D West coming back to Boston but I'd love to see him back up Rondo.

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 03:56:02 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
After D West's playoff performance, I am surprised that Cleveland first gave Gibson a long deal, and are now going after Mo Williams. 

I thought D West was a perfect fit with Lebron.                                             

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 06:44:50 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
After D West's playoff performance, I am surprised that Cleveland first gave Gibson a long deal, and are now going after Mo Williams. 

I thought D West was a perfect fit with Lebron.                                             

I think they like West for the right amount of money.  But if he is looking for the full MLE, then that is a lot of money to guarantee a guy who has had trouble staying on the court, and has been streaky in general.

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 12:58:39 PM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
D. West played nice against us - but I don't think his playoff performance was that compelling. The Cavs made the right move. Anything beyond the QO is overpaying for D. West.