Author Topic: Trade Thought With Atlanta  (Read 13454 times)

Re: Trade Thought With Atlanta
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 04:56:47 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
If I was Wyc I would trade my left nut for Josh Smith but unfortunatley wouldnt include both Rondo and Ray Allen in the same deal. Ray for Smith yes I would do it. To call Smith overhyped is ridiculous. He is a monster defender who can run the floor and guard 4 positions. Guys like these are hard to come by. And why couldnt he play back up to KG or in the three spot? Hes a starter in Atlanta but Imagine Josh Smith being the 6th man in Boston? Posey was good but Josh Smith is a star player. The possibilitys on this one are just ridiculous. If we could do Ray Allen and Glenn Davis for Smith and Law Id do it without thinking about it.

Why is it always the left one? No one ever trades the right one.

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 05:04:22 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Not sure if I'd do it, but Josh Smith is a great young player

To Boston: Josh Smith, Acie Law, and Mike Bibby
To Atlanta: Rajon Rondo, Ray Allen, Brian Scalabrine, and Glenn Davis

Rondo ? why would we trade Rondo ? I wouldn't do Rondo straight up for Josh Smith. Rondo has been in the league for two years and is only 22, this kid is gonna be a top 3 PG in the league in 2 years. Only CP3 and Deron Williams will be better in my opinion than Rondo.

I don't think I'd trade Rondo straight up for Smith either. Both still have a ways to go to become complete players. Talent and size go to Smith. But Rondo's attitude is better. He gets it. I'm not convinced Smith does... If he ever is on a championship team, it will be as no higher than a 3rd best player on the team.

I think Rondo has 2nd best player on a team potential.

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 05:12:40 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
If I was Wyc I would trade my left nut for Josh Smith but unfortunatley wouldnt include both Rondo and Ray Allen in the same deal. Ray for Smith yes I would do it. To call Smith overhyped is ridiculous. He is a monster defender who can run the floor and guard 4 positions. Guys like these are hard to come by. And why couldnt he play back up to KG or in the three spot? Hes a starter in Atlanta but Imagine Josh Smith being the 6th man in Boston? Posey was good but Josh Smith is a star player. The possibilitys on this one are just ridiculous. If we could do Ray Allen and Glenn Davis for Smith and Law Id do it without thinking about it.
I agree with you pearljammer & the move only save us some 8 yrs of prime compared to Ray Allen's 2. I do it in a heartbeat also because it makes us a even better defensive team than last year. Defense wins championships these days when you can shut down a Kobe & Lebron by making them strictly jump shooters. 6'10 small-forwards who can defend 2 gaurds on the outside, Gaurd Most Powers Forwards & some centers on the inside, possibly lead the league in blocks & score 17pts. & grab 8 boards are hard to come by. If Atlanta calls Danny, Bite! Josh Smith would probably be defensive player of the year in our system next year for certain.

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 05:20:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
As much as it pains me to say it, I guess if it was just straight up Smith for Allen I would do it. It might change the dynamic of the Celtics offense but I think long term and short term it would be an exceedingly successful trade for Boston.

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2008, 05:53:57 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'd do that trade.  PG is the most overrated and overhyped position in the NBA.  I can only recall two teams winning championships with a PG as its best player Isiah's Pistons and Magic's Lakers and those incredibly deep teams with multiple HOFers.  Teams don't win with PG's, it is a complete and utter myth.

Josh Smith is an incredible talent, and just happens to be one of the most complete defenders in the league.  The C's could easily trot out a starting lineup of Bibby, Pierce, Smith, KG, and Perkins.  That lineup would be almost impossible for other teams to matchup against defensively and is skilled enough defensively to completely shut teams down.  Acie Law has some solid potential as a PG of the future as well so you don't completely lose out on that end either.

Chauncy billups pistons spring to mind, also i think those teams hondo ran, while certainly not utterly dependant on him, benifited quite a bit. cousy's teams, same boat, though of course not nearly as dependant on him.

I'm sure there's more, but those are just a bunch i can think of off the top of my head at work.

also, bibby isn't as good as rondo, thats a huge downgrade, and why on earth do we want  law? Smith is a good up and coming talent, but i'd like to see him do something worth praise before we anoint him the second coming. Thsi trade breaks down to ray allen and rajon rondo for josh smith, which is retarded. we gave up less proven talent for KG.

I thought mabey we had gotten passed these ridiculous "LETS TRADE RAY RAY! WEEEEEEEEEEE" threads, but i guess not.
Chauncey wasn't the best player on the title teams, Rip and Rasheed were both better than him.  He was the best player on the teams that have lost 3 straight ECF. 

Cousy was no where near the best player on a title team.  Hondo wasn't really a PG.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2008, 06:00:46 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Bad trade.  Josh Smith is one of the most over hyped players in the league. 

while I don't like this trade b/c of the redundance it creates, I don't think you can call Josh Smith overrated or overhyped - the kid has put up the numbers to back up his game. He helped a team no one thought would make the playoffs take the future NBA champion Celtics to 7 games - he had a monster game in game 3 with 27 pts 6 assists and 9 boards and followed it up with 28 pts 6 boards and 7 blocks in game 4 (both wins) - he showed his signs of youth on the road against the c's, but how many players in the playoffs for the 1st time have shown consistency and poise (Chris Paul is the only one who really comes to mind of late) - its a joke that Smith hasn't been to the all-star game yet. He does rely on his athleticism too much right now, but you know what? he has it so he might as well - I think he'll keep working and develop beyond just an athletic freak who can fill up the stat lines, his jumper has shown signs of improvement since he came in the league - and for an athletic type player he is awfully durable, played and started in 81 games this year... to call him overhyped I think is wrong
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2008, 06:05:18 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

while I don't like this trade b/c of the redundance it creates, I don't think you can call Josh Smith overrated or overhyped - the kid has put up the numbers to back up his game. He helped a team no one thought would make the playoffs take the future NBA champion Celtics to 7 games - he had a monster game in game 3 with 27 pts 6 assists and 9 boards and followed it up with 28 pts 6 boards and 7 blocks in game 4 (both wins) - he showed his signs of youth on the road against the c's, but how many players in the playoffs for the 1st time have shown consistency and poise (Chris Paul is the only one who really comes to mind of late) - its a joke that Smith hasn't been to the all-star game yet. He does rely on his athleticism too much right now, but you know what? he has it so he might as well - I think he'll keep working and develop beyond just an athletic freak who can fill up the stat lines, his jumper has shown signs of improvement since he came in the league - and for an athletic type player he is awfully durable, played and started in 81 games this year... to call him overhyped I think is wrong

He was on a sub 500 team that should of had it's door blown off in the playoffs by the Celtics.  They were lucky that the Celtics didn't play worth a lick on the road. 

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2008, 06:08:19 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Rondo ? why would we trade Rondo ? I wouldn't do Rondo straight up for Josh Smith. Rondo has been in the league for two years and is only 22, this kid is gonna be a top 3 PG in the league in 2 years. Only CP3 and Deron Williams will be better in my opinion than Rondo.

I don't think I'd trade Rondo straight up for Smith either. Both still have a ways to go to become complete players. Talent and size go to Smith. But Rondo's attitude is better. He gets it. I'm not convinced Smith does... If he ever is on a championship team, it will be as no higher than a 3rd best player on the team.

I'm glad you aren't the GM.

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2008, 06:09:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

He was on a sub 500 team that should of had it's door blown off in the playoffs by the Celtics.  They were lucky that the Celtics didn't play worth a lick on the road. 
did you ever think that maybe the Celtics were lucky Josh Smith didn't play on the road like he did at home?

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2008, 06:10:15 PM »

Offline I am... a brain doctor

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
  • ...For me to poop on!!!
I don't know that I agree with folks who value Rondo over Josh Smith. I think it is a little analogous to valuing Dennis Johnson over Larry Bird just because of their respective positions. And no, I'm not comparing either of those pups to those two Celtic greats. I'm just saying that if you could trade them straight up for one another (in some fantasy world), I think you have to do it.  

That said, if there is a trade between ATL and BOS involving Rondo and Jesus, I would rather have it involve old friend Joe Johnson than Josh Smith. So, maybe I'm a little hypocritical since my reasoning has to do with "fit." I just think Joe would fit very nicely with Paul and KG in this system. Maybe some iteration of Joe, Speedy, and Law for Allen, Rondo, and Pruitt. You could certainly switch Marvin for Speedy, maybe add Giddens and one of Davis or Powe to moderate the deal to your liking and perceived fairness. I really don't know what's fair and I don't think either side would change things this dramatically, but that is my bent on how I would do a trade with ATL involving Rondo and Jesus. Who knows, if ATL gets Rondo it might help smooth things over with Smith since they are such good friends who have reportedly wanted to play together since their prep school days.

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2008, 06:36:02 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas

I'm glad you aren't the GM.

Rondo has the potential to dominate at his position, and he is already becoming a terror on defense.

Smith, seams to have been dipped a little in the Artest and Odom mental barrels. He has great athleticism, and solid talent. I question his attitude and determination. What kind of player will he be after he lands his big extension? How hard will he work? What kind of teammate will he be?

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2008, 07:03:33 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Billups was the best player on Detroit's tittle team. Don't forget who the Finals MVP was.

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2008, 07:20:17 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

way to give no credit to a kid who has worked hard to become a more dominant player since he came in the league - you know PP has been on plenty of sub 500 teams, a few made the playoffs... I don't think any of us ever thought he was overrated or overhyped - Smith just played in his first playoff series, and at home he was dominant. on the road, he left a lot to be desired...kinda like a young phenom we have... What the Hawks did was actually impressive considering their lack of vet leadership, Mike Bibby aside, they had no one with the big game experience
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2008, 07:21:17 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas

did you ever think that maybe the Celtics were lucky Josh Smith didn't play on the road like he did at home?

Mike Bibby looked like an all star at home too.

Bottom line: I know i'm over valuing Rondo's potential a little. But your line in the sand stance on Smith seams a bit crazy. Josh Smith isn't exactly setting the world on fire from the 4 position. Heck he's not even the best PF on his own team. Horford is. And considering he gets so much offense from dunks, put backs, whatever; why is his FG% below .450?

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2008, 07:30:07 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas

way to give no credit to a kid who has worked hard to become a more dominant player since he came in the league - you know PP has been on plenty of sub 500 teams, a few made the playoffs... I don't think any of us ever thought he was overrated or overhyped - Smith just played in his first playoff series, and at home he was dominant. on the road, he left a lot to be desired...kinda like a young phenom we have... What the Hawks did was actually impressive considering their lack of vet leadership, Mike Bibby aside, they had no one with the big game experience

Joe Johnson was tearing it up for Atlanta. He was the man on that team in the 4th quarters in Atlanta. He has experience.

Comparing Smith to Pierce is way off. At least Pierce was the best player on his team when they were struggling. The Hawks have a struggling record and Smith is the 3rd best player on his team, behind Johnson and Horford. The 3rd banana on the Pierce teams was usually a worn out Kenny Anderson or even Vin Baker.

Considering the Hawks talent, they are a team of under achievers. I think it is fair to label a few of them overrated. Hey, I like Smith's game. He's a good player. He does a lot of nice stuff above the rim, but he is being overrated.