Author Topic: StroSwift/S.Williams available?  (Read 8912 times)

StroSwift/S.Williams available?
« on: July 25, 2008, 11:15:13 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
http://njmg.typepad.com/zzone/2008/07/catching-up-on.html
(half way down the page)

"The Nets still have a lot of power forwards. That means if they can find takers for Stromile Swift and/or Sean Williams - I know some of you won't like that I include his name but they are looking to move him - the Nets will deal each or both."

I would love either of these guys on our bench,(maybe both ;D), but esp. Williams. 
I wasn't too pumped with the Patrick O'lowakandi signing so for me this would be something we should seriously pursue.  Jersey has tons of bigs to shuffle around so why not?  My question is would they take Scal back as an expiring contract? ;)
Truuuuuuuuuth!

Re: StroSwift/S.Williams available?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 11:31:03 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Don't care for Stromile Swift, but would absolutely love to get Sean Williams.  I was hoping he slid to us last year.

But what would we give up to get him?  Do they actually want another player, or could we give up just a pick (like what Denver got for Camby)?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 11:31:29 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Maybe Stro if he gets bought out

They would not trade Williams within the division unless we had a great offer. Since we don't have anything to trade them except Scal I don't see them doing it. I would love if  we could get Williams, you gotta root for the fellow Eagles.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 11:41:02 AM by Evantime34 »
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 11:49:04 AM »

Offline wildo05

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
I have always liked Sean Williams' defensive presence, but could he be acting up again? Why would the Nets want to get rid of a great shot blocker? As we all know, Williams ran into a lot of trouble at Boston College. I just wonder if a bad attitude is starting to surface again. I would be wary.
A winner is someone who recognizes his God- given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals." - Larry Joe Bird

"Anything is Possible!" - KG

"I'm just surprised he wasn't whining about the foul calls." - Glen "Doc" Rivers (6-11-08)

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 11:59:27 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I have always liked Sean Williams' defensive presence, but could he be acting up again? Why would the Nets want to get rid of a great shot blocker? As we all know, Williams ran into a lot of trouble at Boston College. I just wonder if a bad attitude is starting to surface again. I would be wary.

He didn't really act up he just smoked a lot of weed and in stupid places. He would smoke weed in front of the dining halls. He's not so much of a trouble maker he's just not that bright.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 12:01:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Yeah, I agree. Big giant warning sirens should be going off on this news. Perhaps it's just not attitude either. Let's not forget he had marijuana situations and extra cirricula activities at BC.

Pure talent wise though, he would be worth a flyer if the Nets are willing to give him away for Scal's contract that expires just when they want contracts expiring. I doubt the Nets would and if Wyc wasn't crazy about Telfair's problems he might not want to be involved in Williams' future problems.

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 12:12:44 PM »

Offline AINGE44

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 6
Boston Trade Breakdown
Change in Team Outlook: 0.0 ppg, 0.0 rpg, and 0.0 apg.
Incoming Players
  Josh Boone
6-10 PF from Connecticut
  Sean Williams
6-10 PF from Boston College
  Jarvis Hayes
6-8 SF / SG from Georgia
Outgoing Players
  Gabe Pruitt
6-4 PG / SG from USC
  Glen Davis
6-8 C from LSU
  Brian Scalabrine
6-9 PF from USC

only down sidetotrade cant happen till Dec 15 because of Hayes

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 12:36:24 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Boston Trade Breakdown
Incoming Players
  Josh Boone
6-10 PF from Connecticut
  Sean Williams
  Jarvis Hayes
6-8 SF / SG from Georgia
Outgoing Players
  Gabe Pruitt
6-4 PG / SG from USC
  Glen Davis
6-8 C from LSU
  Brian Scalabrine
6-9 PF from USC

Great trade, but I doubt they part with Boone.  He and VC are the only players remaining from their 2007 team, don't know much about Hayes.
Nice to picture us with two former New England college players though. 

I wouldn't worry about a red flag or anything on Williams.  It sounds like Jersey liked Willams' enough it's just that they have a ton of big men and not enough room for what they're trying to do. 

I would def take a chance on him.
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 12:38:49 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Boston Trade Breakdown
Incoming Players
  Josh Boone
6-10 PF from Connecticut
  Sean Williams
  Jarvis Hayes
6-8 SF / SG from Georgia
Outgoing Players
  Gabe Pruitt
6-4 PG / SG from USC
  Glen Davis
6-8 C from LSU
  Brian Scalabrine
6-9 PF from USC

The other downside is that NJ would laugh in our face.  They are giving up two better prospects than either of the guys they are getting back, and they are giving up a much better player in Hayes than Scalabrine. 

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 01:39:10 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I don't see them giving up Boone. For them to be giving up Sean Williams has got to be some type of warning signs. Jarvis Hayes is not going anywhere b/c they just signed him for his 3 point shooting. Why give that up for Pruitt, BBD, or Scal? They wouldn't. Here's a trade that I see making more sense. We need another true Big man, and another wing that can go from SF to SG. I don't see us getting a SF in this trade BUT from NJ we could get Stromile Swift and Sean Williams in exchage for Pruitt,Scalabrine and the other half of the MLE. They'd get a SF with range to spread the floor, and we get an expiring contract. Then trade BBD to Memphis for Kyle Lowery. We could then sign whoever is left for the minimum, someone like Darius Miles maybe. Having Williams would put us in a logjam of bigs possibly, so maybe a 3rd team could come in and give us that needed SF? Williams to Dallas for Gerald Green back.

Rondo.House.Lowery
RAllen.TAllen.Giddens
Pierce. Miles. Green. BWalker
KG. Swift. Powe.
Perkins. OByrant.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 02:06:28 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I'd take Williams in a second, maybe he could be had for our million dollar trade exception that will expire soon  What is NJ looking for in a deal?

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 02:09:44 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I'd take Williams in a second, maybe he could be had for our million dollar trade exception that will expire soon  What is NJ looking for in a deal?

I don't see them trading him for anything less than a first round pick, or an equal prospect, and we don't have either to trade.

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 10:17:17 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I took a look at this thread today because I do suspect that Danny may have something up his sleeve in the trade department.  I like the idea of getting someone like Sean Williams but I hesitate to give up on Pruitt.  I think we are going to need Gabe this year and I want to see what he can do.  We have not seen all that much of him but what I have seen is a guy who plays good defense, especially defending the pick and roll.  It is to be seen if he can do it well enough for the big stage of course.  Getting Lowry back in the mix as one poster suggested would help but why not do that trade first and give Lowry to the 3rd team?

I don't think Gabe's trade value would be all that high and I am hopeful that he will be a sleeper and come on this year.  Of course I though Ron Mercer and Joe Forte were going to be good too.

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 10:41:15 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I took a look at this thread today because I do suspect that Danny may have something up his sleeve in the trade department.  I like the idea of getting someone like Sean Williams but I hesitate to give up on Pruitt.  I think we are going to need Gabe this year and I want to see what he can do.  We have not seen all that much of him but what I have seen is a guy who plays good defense, especially defending the pick and roll.  It is to be seen if he can do it well enough for the big stage of course.  Getting Lowry back in the mix as one poster suggested would help but why not do that trade first and give Lowry to the 3rd team?

I don't think Gabe's trade value would be all that high and I am hopeful that he will be a sleeper and come on this year.  Of course I though Ron Mercer and Joe Forte were going to be good too.

I second that Vermont Green.  I really want to see what Gabe can do.   I heard 1 scout say if Gabe came out this year he would have been a top 20 pick.  Reports are that he has been working very hard on his game which couldn't really be said for someone like Mercer and especially Forte.   Also I'd like to see more of all our kids before we start trading them away.   I'm all for the idea of holding off until on trades until the trade deadline in February to see what holes we have after 40 games. 

You have to think something is wrong if the Nets are looking to get rid of him of course I was slightly shocked the Nets so willingly traded Marcus Williams. 

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 11:07:24 AM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
All day I would give up a lottery protected first round pick for Sean Williams.  We're going to be picking last next year anyway!  Even still, Williams talent now is deserving of a first round pick next year.

He has everything we NEED on the court!  Youth, athleticism, shot blocking, rebounding, low post PRESENCE!

Obviously, he is a knucklehead.  But with our CORE of veterans, I'm sure they could keep him in check.  He smokes weed.  Big deal.  Please, name an NBA player that doesn't!  This team would not allow anyone to step out of line.  Management understands this.  Why do you think they took Giddens?

Now if this was pre-NEW BIG THREE, thats a different story.  "Components" of The Big Three will be together another four years.  Plenty of time to get this knucklehead straightened out. 

As far as comparing him to Telfair.  Telfair doesn't have the game-changing talent like Sean. 

Imagine a youthful frontline of Perk and Williams down the road.  Maybe not much offense but, they sure would make teams think otherwise when coming down the lane!

This is a no-brainer!

GET'ER DONE, DANNY!!!!!!