Author Topic: Buddy Hield ignoring coach’s phone calls. Kings not concerned  (Read 4653 times)

Re: Buddy Hield ignoring coach’s phone calls. Kings not concerned
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2020, 12:11:55 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I do not understand why you would have a player as talented as Buddy Hield and not use him as a scorer.
Cause there won't be enough shots for everybody and we'll end up a dysfunctional team like we were last season. As things stand right now, we have Kemba/Smart running the point and Hayward-Tatum being our secondary play makers. Hield cannot run an offense. Given that he'd be playing next to Kemba/Smart-Tatum, it's only logical to assume that he'd be playing off the ball. I mean, Brown is mostly playing off the ball (and I'm perfectly fine with it).

We have Gordon Hayward and we use him as a scorer (17.5ppg) and playmaker (4apg) --- why would we not be able to use Buddy Hield in a larger offensive role like we do with Hayward?
Hayward is a Point Forward. He can create shots for himself, but he can also create shots for his teammates. He keeps everyone involved on offense, hence he keeps everyone happy. Can't say the same thing about Hield. He's predominantly a shooter. Most of the times he only cares about his own shots.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 12:35:17 PM by Jvalin »

Re: Buddy Hield ignoring coach’s phone calls. Kings not concerned
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2020, 01:21:08 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I do not understand why you would have a player as talented as Buddy Hield and not use him as a scorer.
Cause there won't be enough shots for everybody and we'll end up a dysfunctional team like we were last season. As things stand right now, we have Kemba/Smart running the point and Hayward-Tatum being our secondary play makers. Hield cannot run an offense. Given that he'd be playing next to Kemba/Smart-Tatum, it's only logical to assume that he'd be playing off the ball. I mean, Brown is mostly playing off the ball (and I'm perfectly fine with it).

We have Gordon Hayward and we use him as a scorer (17.5ppg) and playmaker (4apg) --- why would we not be able to use Buddy Hield in a larger offensive role like we do with Hayward?
Hayward is a Point Forward. He can create shots for himself, but he can also create shots for his teammates. He keeps everyone involved on offense, hence he keeps everyone happy. Can't say the same thing about Hield. He's predominantly a shooter. Most of the times he only cares about his own shots.

I assume to get Hield, you’ll give up Hayward. And unless we’re advocating for Smart to take more shots, that 18ppg should go largely to Hield. Having one less playmaker would also allow more opportunities for Tatum, who is starting to grow into that role, and Smart. I don’t think anyone this thread has called for Hield to “run the offense” like you said, and he (rightfully) should be playing alongside a playmaker. The biggest reason why there won’t be enough shots for everyone is if Smart wants to be a scorer too and that’s a bad scenario imo.

The way I see it, to get value, you need to give up value. Hayward does some things well and doesn’t do some things well. But at the end of the day, you’re looking for player fit around your franchise player/s. I think if Jayson Tatum was some off-ball savant, then Hayward’s secondary playmaking would likely be an even bigger boon. But as things are trending, I’d rather have the ball in JT (or Kemba’s) hands. If that’s when he’s most effective, then I can see why someone who is effective without the ball would be a good fit.

But it seems from your replies though that you generally undervalue shooters or lump them all as the same player. I don’t think Klay Thompson could’ve been subbed out for Jason Kapono on those KD-Steph GSW teams.
- LilRip