Author Topic: If it was 2018 GSW vs 2020 Lakers in a playoff matchup. Who would win?  (Read 2796 times)

Re: If it was 2018 GSW vs 2020 Lakers in a playoff matchup. Who would win?
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2020, 12:12:38 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Amazing that you posted this - I was thinking about this exact question earlier today.

I suppose it came to mind because it appears that Danny and Brad are determined to build around the Golden State model - problem being we have good shooters, but not great. Plus we turn the ball over too much, do not run good offense and end up taking lots of bad shots. Bad shots taken by only good shooters = low shooting % = playoff losses. Badly run offense and lots of unforced turnovers means your team is not well coached.
We also run a lot less sets to get our lads moving off the ball, those dynastic GSW teams still have one of the most movement-heavy offences even with the off-ball explosion this season. That's the main reason why we aren't doing well in our endeavour to follow the GSW model imo - we simply can't get more out of the sum of our parts like they do without heavy off-ball movement. To me off-ball movement will be the three point shot of the 2020s - I would be very disappointed if we don't incorporate more of it next season (a good goal would be making the top 10 in off-ball movement metrics, we were middle of the pack this season).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2020, 08:50:20 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Amazing that you posted this - I was thinking about this exact question earlier today.

I suppose it came to mind because it appears that Danny and Brad are determined to build around the Golden State model - problem being we have good shooters, but not great. Plus we turn the ball over too much, do not run good offense and end up taking lots of bad shots. Bad shots taken by only good shooters = low shooting % = playoff losses. Badly run offense and lots of unforced turnovers means your team is not well coached.
We also run a lot less sets to get our lads moving off the ball, those dynastic GSW teams still have one of the most movement-heavy offences even with the off-ball explosion this season. That's the main reason why we aren't doing well in our endeavour to follow the GSW model imo - we simply can't get more out of the sum of our parts like they do without heavy off-ball movement. To me off-ball movement will be the three point shot of the 2020s - I would be very disappointed if we don't incorporate more of it next season (a good goal would be making the top 10 in off-ball movement metrics, we were middle of the pack this season).

What are off-ball movement metrics?
What are they measuring?

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2020, 10:11:24 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

What are they measuring?
Maybe distance covered by players away from the ball?

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2020, 10:22:35 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Celts will be ok. But do need a few sharpshooters and upgrade at center position

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2020, 10:29:47 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

What are they measuring?
Maybe distance covered by players away from the ball?
It's possessions ended with cuts, which isn't all that great now I'm that rereading the article, but I think this metric does somewhat capture how much a team uses cutting and weaving off-ball. But yeah I still stand by my opinion that off-ball movement will be the three point shot of this decade, it's such a great weapon to utilise even when you don't have premium on-ball talent.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2020, 10:31:19 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Gentle reminder that y’all are comparing a team that wasn’t won Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. to arguably the best team of all time.

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2020, 10:49:58 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I'd take Warriors.  They were an all-time incredible team/dynasty.  The most recent teams I've watched that could give the Warriors trouble would be the 2012-13 Heat, the 08 Celtics, and the 00-02 Lakers.  And GSW would give all those teams a hard time.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2020, 01:59:06 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Gentle reminder that y’all are comparing a team that wasn’t won Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again. to arguably the best team of all time.
Yeah, lol, exactly. This team was up there with the 2000s Spurs, the 2000s Lakers, the 90s Bulls, the 80s Celtics & Lakers and the 60s Celtics as one of the all-time great teams. Arguably no team in history has had as much talent on the court at one time as that Golden State team, even if they weren't together for too long and didn't win as much as they could have (losing after 3-1 and losing to Raptors after massive injuries)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2020, 03:44:24 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Gentle reminder that y’all are comparing a team that wasn’t won Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again. to arguably the best team of all time.
Yeah, lol, exactly. This team was up there with the 2000s Spurs, the 2000s Lakers, the 90s Bulls, the 80s Celtics & Lakers and the 60s Celtics as one of the all-time great teams. Arguably no team in history has had as much talent on the court at one time as that Golden State team, even if they weren't together for too long and didn't win as much as they could have (losing after 3-1 and losing to Raptors after massive injuries)
I think that Warriors team in 2017 was unparalleled in terms of star power: they had a player who authored a season that's firmly among the greatest offensive seasons of all time, an offensive all-time great who would've been an MVP favourite in any other year if not for the memechucker on his own squad as well as the timeless LeBron James, an elite defensive anchor who churned out another season in line with typical All-NBA stiflers and an All-NBA calibre off-ball wing who's a perfect fit next to on-ball creators.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA