Author Topic: Doc is the new H.C. of the 76'rs  (Read 5396 times)

Re: Doc is the new H.C. of the 76'rs
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2020, 05:10:52 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Skip Bayless has Doc Rivers winning a championship with the 76ers. Hahahahah
If he can't even sniff a ring with two top-5 wings and two 6MOTY candidates how the hell is he winning a ring with this team?

Leonard is great, Paul George is very good and yes, Lou Williams off the bench is a good weapon but that leaves Beverly, Morris, and Zubac as starters.

No doubt that they under achieved in the playoffs this season but you almost have to put an asterisk next to these playoffs.  It will be interesting to see what Doc can do in Philly.
During the regular season, the Sixers had the best home court record (31-4) but were worse on the road (12-26) than the Knicks.  If I recall correctly, they had only lost once at home before the bubble.  I haven't seen any good explanation for this huge discrepancy.  Some of it might be attributable to resting their better players more on the road but the other teams do that as well. 

If the Sixers can be so dominant at home, they must have the potential to be much better than they were on the road.  It is up to Doc to figure out how to unlock that potential.
That difference between home and away records really was insane. I don't think they'll be able to replicate either
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2020, 05:11:12 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I have no doubt in my mind the Sixers will be better than the Heat next year. I am not a huge Doc support, but I think he can do a good enough job. Mainly, I am nervous they will be able to convince a team like the Kings that a Horford and Thybulle/Shake for Hield trade is a good one. They would become an infinitely scarier team with a sharp-shooting 20ppg SG instead of the square peg that is Al.

We shouldn't be downplaying PHI like they are nothing. The bubble did them no favors and they didn't have Simmons. Their biggest problem is breaking through in the playoffs - they may just not have it.

« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2020, 05:21:31 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I have no doubt in my mind the Sixers will be better than the Heat next year. I am not a huge Doc support, but I think he can do a good enough job. Mainly, I am nervous they will be able to convince a team like the Kings that a Horford and Thybulle/Shake for Hield trade is a good one. They would become an infinitely scarier team with a sharp-shooting 20ppg SG instead of the square peg that is Al.

We shouldn't be downplaying PHI like they are nothing. The bubble did them no favors and they didn't have Simmons. Their biggest problem is breaking through in the playoffs - they may just not have it.
That would be such a bad move for Sacramento they just might do it

« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2020, 05:35:57 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
If he can't even sniff a ring with two top-5 wings and two 6MOTY candidates how the hell is he winning a ring with this team?

Leonard is great, Paul George is very good and yes, Lou Williams off the bench is a good weapon but that leaves Beverly, Morris, and Zubac as starters.

No doubt that they under achieved in the playoffs this season but you almost have to put an asterisk next to these playoffs.  It will be interesting to see what Doc can do in Philly.
During the regular season, the Sixers had the best home court record (31-4) but were worse on the road (12-26) than the Knicks.  If I recall correctly, they had only lost once at home before the bubble.  I haven't seen any good explanation for this huge discrepancy.  Some of it might be attributable to resting their better players more on the road but the other teams do that as well. 

If the Sixers can be so dominant at home, they must have the potential to be much better than they were on the road.  It is up to Doc to figure out how to unlock that potential.
That difference between home and away records really was insane. I don't think they'll be able to replicate either
It was like they were two different teams.  Certainly could be some slippage at home but I think that is trumped by potential for improvement on the road.
            offrtg     defrtg
Home   113.8   104.9
Road    107.8   111.6   

I can understand a team's offense dropping on the road but how does a team's defense drop so much.  That 104.9 at home would be 3rd best in the league.  The Bucks were 102.5 defrtg home and road.  The Raptors were 104.9 home and 104.4 road.  Sounds like Doc needs to light a fire under their butts or get a defensive oriented assistant who will.   

« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2020, 06:39:33 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

It was like they were two different teams.  Certainly could be some slippage at home but I think that is trumped by potential for improvement on the road.
            offrtg     defrtg
Home   113.8   104.9
Road    107.8   111.6   

I can understand a team's offense dropping on the road but how does a team's defense drop so much.  That 104.9 at home would be 3rd best in the league.  The Bucks were 102.5 defrtg home and road.  The Raptors were 104.9 home and 104.4 road.  Sounds like Doc needs to light a fire under their butts or get a defensive oriented assistant who will.   
Brett Brown? ;D

« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2020, 09:55:39 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
Anyone love how the 76ers always get the Celtics rejects?

Fultz
Horford
Thybulle (in a way)
Doc
Don't forget Amir Johnson ;D