Author Topic: Doc is the new H.C. of the 76'rs  (Read 5395 times)

Re: Doc is the new H.C. of the 76'rs
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2020, 01:06:33 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Great hire.

I wish Glenn "Doc" Rivers the absolute best - just not against BOS.

I think this gives Ben Simmons the best shot at getting to the next level....

Doc can be tough, and Embiid is sensitive.  This might be one dynamic to watch. If I were Philly I'd explore trades if Embiid doesn't soon get into incredible shape.
How is Embiid sensitive?  He gets along great with Butler who is definitely a difficult personality.  The Doc/Simmons dynamic is more interesting.  Will Doc continue the Simmons as PG experiment?  Will he be able to get Simmons to take some 3 pt shots?   

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2020, 04:50:34 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Solid move for the sixers. He’s an upgrade vs Brett Brown

That said, Sixers’ problems go deeper than their coach. They better look into roster changes. Smart + Hayward for Simmons + Korkmaz?  ;D
- LilRip

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2020, 07:25:05 AM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
I guess the Sixers have decided to not trade Embiid after all.

When I read the D'Antoni rumors I assumed that Embiid was gone. D'Antoni has never coached a big plodding center like Embiid.

Doc is a player's coach. Everyone will be happy at first. This still doesn't fix any of the Sixers problems, but it will pacify the star players for awhile. Doc won't force Embiid to get in shape. He won't force Simmons to shoot.

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2020, 07:53:27 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Great hire.

Doc can be tough, and Embiid is sensitive.  This might be one dynamic to watch. If I were Philly I'd explore trades if Embiid doesn't soon get into incredible shape.
How is Embiid sensitive?  He gets along great with Butler who is definitely a difficult personality.  The Doc/Simmons dynamic is more interesting.  Will Doc continue the Simmons as PG experiment?  Will he be able to get Simmons to take some 3 pt shots?

Not in a bad way.  I liked Embiid more after he cried upon losing to Toronto.  I love players who truly care about winning, despite the money, media and circus of the modern NBA...I just think he's vulnerable to funks, and a Doc zinger or two could send him into one.  But maybe Doc yells less than he used to.  Doc is a good leader.  Pierce loved him despite some early friction.  So something similar could develop...

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2020, 08:54:34 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Interesting discussion on Doc.  Ranging from he is overrated to he doesn't deserve this.  I guess some of both can be true.  Whether he is overrated or not is an argument over semantics which depends on how highly you think he is rated in the first place so really does not mean anything.  I don't know if he is overrated or not but I do think he will be the best coach the Sixers have had in a long time.

And I do think he is going to bring some philosophy that will have and impact on the future direction of team personnel decisions.  I understand he is not the GM and will not make the final decisions but the approach and philosophy of the coach is a factor in those decisions.  I don't know if Doc can coach this team as it stands or not.  All the players have some flaws and don't seem to mesh but there is a lot of talent there to work with.

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2020, 09:26:27 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I was really hoping Doc would go back into broadcasting. 

The Sixers? Yuck.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2020, 12:24:34 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Great hire.

Yeah, I gotta agree. Embiid's issue seems to be that he's just not in shape. He seems open to coaching otherwise. Ben appears to be a bit of a diva though. It'll be interesting with Doc either way, though. He's either great at managing his players (i.e. Rondo) or they tune him out (the CP3/Blake locker room turning on him).
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2020, 12:55:09 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
We'll see how it goes.  There's a chance that Doc can motivate Embiid to focus on conditioning, at least for this upcoming season.  The Sixers will be a problem if he does nothing more than that. 

As for the long term, I doubt Embiid will ever sustain the work ethic to stay in shape consistently. 

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2020, 01:30:22 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Skip Bayless has Doc Rivers winning a championship with the 76ers. Hahahahah

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2020, 04:15:23 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
They are going to need much more then a Doctor to cure their woes. They still need an end of the game beast to take over in playoff crunch time, until they get that, they wont sniff the finals- If only they had Butler. Will make Celtics Sixers a bit more fun now as well.

Poor Horford, his minutes per game are about to go up at a time in his career when they should be doing the opposite.

So Thibs is a Knicks coach and Doctor bail out is a Sixers coach and Cryrie is a Nets player. Our division is getting interesting.

When things looks dicey Sixers fans, we know who will be bailing as fast as lightning.

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2020, 04:33:43 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
If he can't even sniff a ring with two top-5 wings and two 6MOTY candidates how the hell is he winning a ring with this team?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2020, 04:46:38 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
If he can't even sniff a ring with two top-5 wings and two 6MOTY candidates how the hell is he winning a ring with this team?

Leonard is great, Paul George is very good and yes, Lou Williams off the bench is a good weapon but that leaves Beverly, Morris, and Zubac as starters.

No doubt that they under achieved in the playoffs this season but you almost have to put an asterisk next to these playoffs.  It will be interesting to see what Doc can do in Philly.

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2020, 04:56:46 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Leonard is great, Paul George is very good and yes, Lou Williams off the bench is a good weapon but that leaves Beverly, Morris, and Zubac as starters.

No doubt that they under achieved in the playoffs this season but you almost have to put an asterisk next to these playoffs.  It will be interesting to see what Doc can do in Philly.
The current teams in the Finals are fielding starting units that include Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Javale McGee, Danny Green, Jae Crowder and Duncan Robinson. I have no issues grouping Beverley, Morris and Zubac in with those guys as solid role players. Robinson is probably the outlier because of his genuinely elite shooting skill.

But Lou Williams and Montrezl Harrell are both 20 point scorers off the bench, and then you have an MVP level #1 guy and an All-NBA level #2 guy. Not sure that any excuse can be made for choking a 3-1 lead to the Denver Nuggets
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2020, 05:04:03 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
the sixers screwed up when they let Jimmy Butler/Reddick go to instead pay Al horford/Tobias harris.

In a game that is built around wings and 3 point shooting they have a team of guys who can hit 3's

« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2020, 05:06:36 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

During the regular season, the Sixers had the best home court record (31-4) but were worse on the road (12-26) than the Knicks.  If I recall correctly, they had only lost once at home before the bubble.  I haven't seen any good explanation for this huge discrepancy.  Some of it might be attributable to resting their better players more on the road but the other teams do that as well. 

If the Sixers can be so dominant at home, they must have the potential to be much better than they were on the road.  It is up to Doc to figure out how to unlock that potential.