Author Topic: Buddy Hield's size is legit, Taller than Jerry West  (Read 5303 times)

Buddy Hield's size is legit, Taller than Jerry West
« on: April 08, 2016, 08:41:03 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

West says he was 6'4.5" just Google Jerry West's real height there is a video of him saying that. And that's confirmed by looking at pics on the web.

West is old so he may have shrunk half an inch, but he's the same height as Wade and just a little shorter than Kobe.

So it looks like Buddy is a legit 6'4" shoes off with almost a 6'9" wingspan and he will be listed at Ray Allen's height of 6'5".

If this holds up does that solidify him more in your eyes, I'm more comfortable with him now.

Re: Buddy Hield's size is legit, Taller than Jerry West
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 08:44:22 PM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
As long as he can shoot in the pros as well as he did in college I'm all aboard the Buddy Hield to Celtics hype train.

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 08:45:12 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
My size is legit. I'm taller than Isaiah Thomas.

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 08:45:40 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
His height has never been the source of concern for me.  It's more that his draft pedigree is based mostly on having a breakout senior season, which historically suggests that in the NBA he'll probably be a nice role player shooter or a microwave bench scorer, but probably not a star.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 08:49:43 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I'm a Hield fan, but saying he's tall enough because he's the same height as Jerry West seems to forget that Jerry played 40 years ago.

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 09:37:58 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I'm a Hield fan, but saying he's tall enough because he's the same height as Jerry West seems to forget that Jerry played 40 years ago.

You might be on to something there.

Actually, I just looked it up: Adam Morrison was a full 3 inches taller than Hield. I'm sad now.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 11:17:52 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
His height has never been the source of concern for me.  It's more that his draft pedigree is based mostly on having a breakout senior season, which historically suggests that in the NBA he'll probably be a nice role player shooter or a microwave bench scorer, but probably not a star.

That does concern me.  Especially considering he would be a top 5 selection.

Out of the top ranked college senior careers highlighted in this article - the ones that stood out as best in the NBA so far were David West, JJ Redick, Doug McDermott, and Jameer Nelson.  That's only 4 out of their top 15.  Hopefully Hield will be more like Redick or McDermott.  But the odds don't seem that good.
http://www.sportingnews.com/list/4695141-best-college-basketball-players-seniors-four-year-ranking

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 11:20:45 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
My size is legit. I'm taller than Isaiah Thomas.

Blimey !

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 11:29:16 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
He's the same height as D Wade Jerry West is.

One other thing with my Buddy, Stevens gave a talk on energy giving pkayers. There is no player in this draft that will bring more energy to the court, to practice, or to life than Buddy Hield.

His coach says he's never had a bad day. Perfect fit personality wise.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 12:35:08 AM by KG Living Legend »

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 12:56:51 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
That's good to hear, but it doesn't change the fundamentals for Hield. Jamal Murray is still a better prospect in a similar mold; his stats as a freshman were better than Hield's as a junior. I love Buddy's game and it's impressive that he's gone from a non-prospect to a top-ten pick, but the hype has gone too far in the wake of his awesome tournament run.

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 01:22:01 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER

Actually, I just looked it up: Adam Morrison was a full 3 inches taller than Hield. I'm sad now.

I don't know if Adam Morrison ever truly got his shot in the NBA.  He got off to a rough start and then nursed injuries.  Like a thoroughbred horse or a prizefighter, rookies need to be brought along.  I always wondered what might have happened, had he been drafted later and then given time to develop.  There are some great stories of his play in pick-up games after practice.
Unfortunately, it didn't translate to hardwood.  There are way to many stories like this.
Wonder if Hield will be another one of them.  So much about pro basketball is about the human psyche and opportunity.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 01:48:43 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

I don't know if Adam Morrison ever truly got his shot in the NBA.  He got off to a rough start and then nursed injuries.  Like a thoroughbred horse or a prizefighter, rookies need to be brought along.  I always wondered what might have happened, had he been drafted later and then given time to develop.  There are some great stories of his play in pick-up games after practice.
Unfortunately, it didn't translate to hardwood.  There are way to many stories like this.
Wonder if Hield will be another one of them.  So much about pro basketball is about the human psyche and opportunity.

That's not really the case.

Morrison certainly got his chance and showed a bit his rookie year, making the 2nd team rookie squad and scoring about 12 ppg. The problem is that he actually got worse his rookie year, going from scoring 14-15 points a game the first month or two to scoring under 10 at the end of the year. His biggest supposed strength - shooting - was pretty miserable with a TS of .450.

Then he didn't "nurse" injuries. He blew out his ACL. For a player whose biggest concern was "limited athleticism" when he was drafted, that was like the kiss of death.

So it wasn't opportunity or bringing him along slowly. It was skill (lack thereof) and bad luck with an injury he couldn't afford to have. Maybe if he didn't blow out his knee he might have been able to round into a decent pro aka JJ Reddick. But that knee injury was the end of his shot.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2016, 02:05:50 PM »

Offline fubar089

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 11
That's good to hear, but it doesn't change the fundamentals for Hield. Jamal Murray is still a better prospect in a similar mold; his stats as a freshman were better than Hield's as a junior. I love Buddy's game and it's impressive that he's gone from a non-prospect to a top-ten pick, but the hype has gone too far in the wake of his awesome tournament run.
I look at it as a positive from a C's perspective that Hield has so much hype behind him. Hopefully some GM buys in and looks to make a deal involving an established player.